Help on clearing up some language availabilities + some other questions

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

casperjjj
Librarities Member

Help on clearing up some language availabilities + some other questions

Post by casperjjj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi everybody

Still going strong on my Global 'Forest' Collection. 81,1 % through approx. 3.800 versions (3.094 different versions collected).. :-)

For reference this is my collection spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I have a couple of questions that has been nagging me for a while. Hope some of you have time to help:

1) Starter 2000 'Forest' cards; as far as I can see there were 2 different John Avon 'Forests' in the Box, right? And they were identical (in all areas) to two of the four 'Forests' from 6th edition, right?
2) Starter 1999 came out in just English. Starter 2000 came out in: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese (?), Spanish and Japanese(?). Is this correct?
3) 5th and 6th Edition S-Chinese 'Forests' do exist, right? Have read that they exist (5th edition with an expansion symbol).
4) 6th Edition T-Chinese 'Forests' do exist, right?
5) 8th Edition S-Chinese 'Forests'; are they printed in both non-foil and foil?
6) Urza's Saga 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
7) Mirrodin 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
8) Ravnica: City of Guilds 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
9) Shards of Alara 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
10) New Phyrexia 'Forests' does exist in T-Chinese?
11) Commander 2014 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
12) Commander 2015 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
13) Kaladesh is printed in all languages?
14) Commander 2016 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
15) Mercadian Masques T-Chinese 'Forests' were printed in non-foil and NOT the foil versions. Right? Are there any other sets that has such a variation? (were all languages but one have both non-foil and foil version, and then there's just one languages that does not have the foi versions)
16) Which sets are know to have Alpha Cut corners?

BTW: Allways open to obtaining new 'Forests' for my collection. Send me a PM I you have some I'm missing :-)
All the best from,
Casper (Denmark)
I'm always on the lookout for cards for my Global Library of Leng Playset Collection:

Any help getting my wants is greatly appreciated!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Re: Help on clearing up some language availabilities + some other questions

Post by l0qii » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:02 pm

casperjjj wrote: 15) Mercadian Masques T-Chinese 'Forests' were printed in non-foil and NOT the foil versions. Right? Are there any other sets that has such a variation? (were all languages but one have both non-foil and foil version, and then there's just one languages that does not have the foi versions)
S-Chinese Invasion has English foils, so there is no S-Chinese Invasion Forests

casperjjj
Librarities Member

Post by casperjjj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 am

Hi l0qii :-)

Hmm - that can't be true. Cause I have one Forest (Version 2, #348) in S-Chinese from Invasion (and in T-Chinese for comparison) (sry for the light on the images):

S-Chinese:
S-Chinese.jpg
S-Chinese.jpg (193.89 KiB) Viewed 16087 times
T-Chinese:
T-Chinese.jpg
T-Chinese.jpg (169.69 KiB) Viewed 16087 times
All the best,
Casper
I'm always on the lookout for cards for my Global Library of Leng Playset Collection:

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:37 am

casperjjj wrote:Hi everybody

Still going strong on my Global 'Forest' Collection. 81,1 % through approx. 3.800 versions (3.094 different versions collected).. :-)

For reference this is my collection spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I have a couple of questions that has been nagging me for a while. Hope some of you have time to help:

1) Starter 2000 'Forest' cards; as far as I can see there were 2 different John Avon 'Forests' in the Box, right? And they were identical (in all areas) to two of the four 'Forests' from 6th edition, right?
CORRECT

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/608-rar ... index.html

2) Starter 1999 came out in just English. Starter 2000 came out in: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese (?), Spanish and Japanese(?). Is this correct?
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/608-rar ... index.html

3) 5th and 6th Edition S-Chinese 'Forests' do exist, right? Have read that they exist (5th edition with an expansion symbol).
CORRECT

4) 6th Edition T-Chinese 'Forests' do exist, right?
CORRECT

5) 8th Edition S-Chinese 'Forests'; are they printed in both non-foil and foil?
CORRECT

6) Urza's Saga 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

7) Mirrodin 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/sets.html

8) Ravnica: City of Guilds 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

9) Shards of Alara 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

10) New Phyrexia 'Forests' does exist in T-Chinese?
CORRECT

11) Commander 2014 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

12) Commander 2015 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

13) Kaladesh is printed in all languages?
CORRECT

14) Commander 2016 'Forests' does exist in S-Chinese?
CORRECT

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/842-rar ... index.html

15) Mercadian Masques T-Chinese 'Forests' were printed in non-foil and NOT the foil versions. Right? Are there any other sets that has such a variation? (were all languages but one have both non-foil and foil version, and then there's just one languages that does not have the foi versions)
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/sets-me ... block.html

Ice Age, 4TH Edition, maybe another one, but I don't recall right now

BTW: Allways open to obtaining new 'Forests' for my collection. Send me a PM I you have some I'm missing :-)
All the best from,
Casper (Denmark)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:46 pm

casperjjj wrote:Hi l0qii :-)

Hmm - that can't be true. Cause I have one Forest (Version 2, #348) in S-Chinese from Invasion (and in T-Chinese for comparison) (sry for the light on the images):
Well that's unexpected. Can anyone explain this?
It has been well documented S-Chinese Invasion boosters contain English foils, including English versions of cards that required alternate art in China.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/332-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/513-rar ... asion.html

Were foil basic lands available someplace other than just booster packs?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:13 pm

l0qii wrote:
casperjjj wrote:Hi l0qii :-)

Well that's unexpected. Can anyone explain this?
It has been well documented S-Chinese Invasion boosters contain English foils, including English versions of cards that required alternate art in China.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/332-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/513-rar ... asion.html

Were foil basic lands available someplace other than just booster packs?
Hi Tim

There's a topic about those on the forum, if I rmember correctly it was in Starters. Let me try to retrieve it.
Additionally, s-chinese invasion also had only english foils. However s-chinese Invasion Foil Basics exist, they come from PRecon Decks ( Each deck had 1 foil basic)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9867&p=88116&hilit= ... oil#p88116

There was 4 Preconstructed Theme Decks, and the lands that were available:
Blowout: Mountain and Swamp
Dismissal: Island and Swamp
Heavy Duty: Forest and Plains
Spectrum: Island, Forest, Mountain, Plains, Swamp
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:27 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Additionally, s-chinese invasion also had only english foils. However s-chinese Invasion Foil Basics exist, they come from PRecon Decks ( Each deck had 1 foil basic)
Thanks! So I wonder if all art versions exist for each land, or if it's just one of each? That would be a really difficult set to put together!

casperjjj
Librarities Member

Post by casperjjj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:35 pm

I just found a guy who says he has a S-Chinese Invasion 'Forest' version 4 for sale. I've purchased it and will post picture once received (hopefully it's not another T-Chinese... so many MKM-users can't differ unfortunately).. :-(

/Casper

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:46 am

l0qii wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Thanks! So I wonder if all art versions exist for each land, or if it's just one of each? That would be a really difficult set to put together!
Hi Tim

I have no idea, as I don't collect those Simplified Chinese Theme Decks, and if I was, it will be for my sealed collection. But, those S-Chinese foils comes from either a 10 X 11 or 11 X 11 sheet. Were all the 20 illustrations represented, I simply don't know. Regarding the one of each (5), it's already quite difficult or maybe impossible, first to find out if the Foil lands were inserted as random or fixed. Let's take a concrete example:

Heavy Duty: Forest and Plains
You could get a fixed Forest or Plains
You could get a random Forest or Plains

Spectrum: That was the only Theme deck with Mountain (2)
You could get a fixed Island, Forest, Mountain, Plains, Swamp
You could get a random Island, Forest, Mountain, Plains, Swamp

There was Foil Basic Lands in English Theme Decks or the 8 others languages ? That might help to understand the pattern or not.
casperjjj wrote:I just found a guy who says he has a S-Chinese Invasion 'Forest' version 4 for sale. I've purchased it and will post picture once received (hopefully it's not another T-Chinese... so many MKM-users can't differ unfortunately).. :-(

/Casper
Well, especially on MCM, the only way is to asked for a scan before buying, so you know and don't get surprised (either by the condition or the languages).
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Beside 4th Edition and Ice Age, there are Revised cards, but they are extremly rare and no lands are known if I remember right. One member here has claimed to own 8th Edition cards, but he didn't post scans.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Neuron wrote:
Beside 4th Edition and Ice Age, there are Revised cards, but they are extremly rare and no lands are known if I remember right.

There are Alpha Cut Revised Lands. They were on the same sheet with the other cards and went through the same corner rounding process.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:16 am

If round corners are mentioned, so 4 square corners basic lands Revised and P3K Chinese should be mentioned also (P3K Glossy exists also).
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

casperjjj
Librarities Member

Post by casperjjj » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:24 am

Hi again

Well, as of now I'm quite confused :-D
Regarding my Global Forest Collection, I'm overall thinking two things;

1) I'll have a list of regular, official WoTC cards that were printed as intended (e.g. cores Alpha through Origins, expansions/other Ice Age through current printed sets (Planechase Anthology)).
2) I'll have a list of irregular, unofficial cards that were not printed as intended. This list is though somewhat impossible to make (at least it feels that way). As for now the list (as I know of) would be this (chronologicaly);

- Revised Edition ("Alpha" cut corners)
- Revised Edition (Four square corners)
- Revised Edition (Two left corners square, to right corners rounded) (see pictures in this thread: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/mark ... ut-corners)
- Summer Magic / "Edgar"
- Revised Edition FBB ("Wald" misprint)
- Fourth Edition Alternate
- Fourth Edition ("Alpha" cut corners) (does not exist; only UC and R were given this treatment)
- Ice Age ("Alpha" cut corners)
- Ice Age (Glossy)
- Arena League Promos (#12b; Big foil star) (http://www.magiclibrarities.net/447-585 ... tml#return)
- Portal: Three Kingdoms (Glossy)

The list above is missing;

- All Test prints (I've seen Pre-Alpha and Pre-Beta cards I believe). Which other are there? Probably many I've never heard of.
- All Artist Proofs (I have no idea of who many cards should be here; it feels like a jungle to have an overview of which sets had AP's and then again in which languages). How can I make a complete list of this?
- Other "Alpha" cut corners not mentioned above (could this potentially be any card ever printed?)
- All square cornered cards not mentioned above (while searching online I found that WoTC by mistake have made several square cornered cards in many different sets), It seems impossible to make a list of these. Any one agree on this?
- All other mispirints / crimps (this could be any cards = impossible list)
- Albinos. Would they potentially be obtainable from all print runs?
- Some other irregular cards that I have not come across? (I don't know hos steep this hole is - probably never ending)

It's feels like a very steep hole once I start to look at all these varieties.
I'm definitely a completionist as of to my collection so I'd on one hand love to make a list of all the different variants of the 'Forests' ever printed and then use maybe a lifetime trying to obtain all of these cards. On the other hand I'm totally bugged by the fact that the list would never be including everything. How can I come about this?
I know that Summer Magic / "Edgar", Alternate 4th Edition, "Wald" ("Plains depicted") and the Glossy Ice Age probably are the most officially recognized irregular cards I'll come by. Should I stop there and look no further? What to do?

I hope that some of you fellow collectors out there can relate to my unsatisfied collectors feeling at the moment :-D .. How do you other Global Collectors deal with this (adding unofficial cards to a Global Collection)? Do you simply only collect official, regular cards? Or what?
Due to the fact that my Global Forest Collection is huge (3.800'ish cards would make the list of variants for each card would never-ending).

All the best,
Casper

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 am

casperjjj wrote: - All Artist Proofs (I have no idea of who many cards should be here; it feels like a jungle to have an overview of which sets had AP's and then again in which languages). How can I make a complete list of this?
Artist Proof exist for All the sets except Alpha, Unlimited and Arabian. For Languages, it's quite easy also: Only English except
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9450
http://greendisenchantproject.jimdo.com/artist-proofs/

- All square cornered cards not mentioned above (while searching online I found that WoTC by mistake have made several square cornered cards in many different sets), It seems impossible to make a list of these. Any one agree on this?
Yes, Square corners have a lot of variants also, 4, 3, 2, 1 (And at different places). 4 Square cornered known sets are more limited

- All other mispirints / crimps (this could be any cards = impossible list)
Correct

- Albinos. Would they potentially be obtainable from all print runs?
As a matter of fact, no, very few sets are known: Ice Age (different languages), Revised, 7Th Edition Japanese, and few others (Just mentioning the ones that might have a Forest). But technically any sets can be affected, Albino are really scarce

- Some other irregular cards that I have not come across? (I don't know hos steep this hole is - probably never ending)
Correct

It's feels like a very steep hole once I start to look at all these varieties.
I'm definitely a completionist as of to my collection so I'd on one hand love to make a list of all the different variants of the 'Forests' ever printed and then use maybe a lifetime trying to obtain all of these cards. On the other hand I'm totally bugged by the fact that the list would never be including everything. How can I come about this?
I know that Summer Magic / "Edgar", Alternate 4th Edition, "Wald" ("Plains depicted") and the Glossy Ice Age probably are the most officially recognized irregular cards I'll come by. Should I stop there and look no further? What to do?

Once you will be done with Regular cards, Misprints, Play Test Cards, Test Prints, etc...will be there for you (Better have a huge budget)

I hope that some of you fellow collectors out there can relate to my unsatisfied collectors feeling at the moment :-D .. How do you other Global Collectors deal with this (adding unofficial cards to a Global Collection)? Do you simply only collect official, regular cards? Or what?
Due to the fact that my Global Forest Collection is huge (3.800'ish cards would make the list of variants for each card would never-ending).

All the best,
Casper
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

casperjjj
Librarities Member

Post by casperjjj » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Dragsamou (and you other guys): You're always such a huge help! Thank you so much for having patience for all my questions.

The amount of ressources (you guys who always take time to post replies) on this site is amazing! :-)

/ Casper