Modified Art in 8Th Edition

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Modified Art in 8Th Edition

Post by dragsamou » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 am

Hi Members
A new card face was introduced in Eighth Edition. The colored frames around the edges of the card were redesigned and narrowed, boxes were placed around card names and creatures' power and toughness, card names were printed in a new font (Matrix Bold, rather than Goudy Medieval), artifacts switched from a brown background to a silvery-white background, and mana symbols appearing in the text box were no longer colored.
We all know about that, but what about the 8Th Edition modified cards from previous Extensions or Editions. While looking for some info in the Old archives, I retrieved this topic:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=4078

So beside the Bird of Paradise was others cards affected ?

ImageImage

Birds of Paradise 7Th Edition VS Birds of Paradise 8Th Edition (Wings on top colored with black and darker head)
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:12 pm

Is the lighter shade of green in the jungle an art variation too of is it just lighter on this card (as in a color variation from printing)?

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:31 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Is the lighter shade of green in the jungle an art variation too of is it just lighter on this card (as in a color variation from printing)?

Gary
Hi Gary

I grabbed the pics from the internet as I don't own a 7Th Edition Birds of Paradise only the 8th, to show the modified art, but the Green of 7Th Edition is darker than the one of 8th Edition. If anyone is owning a complete 7th and 8th Editiion sets, it will be interesting to check if more cards exist with modified art, I'm not so sure that saying Alternate Art is appropriate in that case. Coat of Arms Exodus and 8Th Edition is a different story as they added a digital grey border on the 8th Edition to match the grey of the card.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Interesting,
I never paid attention to that, but it you're watching carefully, the plants at the bottom were cut. It looks like a new art as far as the leaves at the top are exactly the same in both pictures. No reframe so the bird looks bigger in the 8th ed...
Visit the Shores of Imagination

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Alifromcairo wrote:Interesting,
I never paid attention to that, but it you're watching carefully, the plants at the bottom were cut. It looks like a new art as far as the leaves at the top are exactly the same in both pictures. No reframe so the bird looks bigger in the 8th ed...
Yes, the set introduced a new cardface design that allowed for larger art and more card text, but I prefer the 7Th Edition card frame not cropped as you could see more of the Original Art. My topic is more focused on the Modified Art, I don't own either a 7Th or 8Th Edition complete set otherwise long time I will have tried to locate if more cards were affected like Bird of Paradise, like I was doing for the Alternate Art cards mainly Simplified Chinese or the very few Japanese or Traditional Chinese.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

All 8th and later cards with previously used art are affected, as the the new box has a slightly different heighth-width ratio. The same is true for 4th vs. 5th and 8th vs. M15 layout, but only a little bit.
There are also different cropped cards independantly from layout changes, for example Rod of Ruin 5th - 6th.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Neuron wrote:All 8th and later cards with previously used art are affected, as the the new box has a slightly different heighth-width ratio. The same is true for 4th vs. 5th and 8th vs. M15 layout, but only a little bit.
There are also different cropped cards independantly from layout changes, for example Rod of Ruin 5th - 6th.
Hi Ron

I know, but my topic is about Modified Art, whenever you add black in the feathers and add black in the head of the bird, it's almost like Alternate Art for me, so was wondering if other cards were affected or the Bird of Paradise a lonely case.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Oh, I see. I personally wouldn't count it as alternate art, the coloration depends on the production site and sometimes varies even between two languages of the same set printed in the same factory significantly. For the above Birds in particular it looks like the contrast settings were changed in the 8th Edition version.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Neuron wrote:Oh, I see. I personally wouldn't count it as alternate art, the coloration depends on the production site and sometimes varies even between two languages of the same set printed in the same factory significantly. For the above Birds in particular it looks like the contrast settings were changed in the 8th Edition version.
I don't agree, nothing to do with contrast, that's why I mentioned "Modified art".

From the old topic:
You should look at the 8th BOP. They altered the art. The painted the tips of the wing black and his head is darker. The artist didnt know about this until he saw the card
It happened also, that I own a Limited print from Birds of Paradise from 7th Edition, and the black was definately added.

http://www.edbeardjr.com/store/catalog/ ... 60c77082c9
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Ok, now I got it, too :wink: So this would be an easy way to tell apart different print runs in 7th Edition. Do also both versions exist in foil ?

I don't know about other cards. But I think the Coat of Arms wasn't modified, just zoomed out. You can still see the dark part of the wall on the left in the Exodus version.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Neuron wrote:Ok, now I got it, too :wink: So this would be an easy way to tell apart different print runs in 7th Edition. Do also both versions exist in foil ?

I don't know about other cards. But I think the Coat of Arms wasn't modified, just zoomed out. You can still see the dark part of the wall on the left in the Exodus version.
Foil 7th Edition Birds of Paradise = No Black
Foil 7th Edition Birds of Paradise MTGO = Black added
Foil 8th Edition Birds of Paradise = Black added
Foil 8th Edition Birds of Paradise MTGO = Black added

Coat of Arms is Not modified, they add digitally a Grey border on the outer side of the original border.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:05 pm

It seems I'm wrong in everything today. I first wanted to write something to the filler problem, too, but perhaps it would have turned out to be just more stupid thoughts :wink:

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:06 am

Neuron wrote:It seems I'm wrong in everything today. I first wanted to write something to the filler problem, too, but perhaps it would have turned out to be just more stupid thoughts :wink:
One of these days, but it's a new one today, so please share, I'm interested to read your theory or thoughts.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron

Post by Neuron » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:32 pm

I will let you know soon, I have a headache now and can't think properly.
It's mainly features that can be checked that would make it more likely/unlikely that these cards came from the respective sources.