Prerelease promos--They are choking me.

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

How do you feel about the number of promos with Khans of Tarkir

Poll ended at Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

To many-loss of interest
100%
Just right-nice layout
No votes
Love it--give me more
No votes

Total votes: 20

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:57 am

mystical_tutor wrote:In re-reading your post it dawns on me that in reality these cards have become just that--a game mechanic. At the very least, a card with a duel role. As i said, the reaction here was quite indifferent as to the value of the card being a "promo".

I am looking forward to how they price out on the web compared to plain cards and normal foils. It has appeared that the dated cards are considered sub-standard to regular foils for any cards of any value.

I am still in shock that WotC had to use 40 cards to sidetrack serious players in their decision making for what Khan to pick for the prerelease. It says to me that either 1) WotC is not capable of designing 5 equally good cards to represent each of the Khans. or 2) Pre publishing the set spoiler has spoiled the original good part of a new set--going to a prerelease to "discover" what is new.
I am thinking there really is no need for a prerelease event any more. There is nothing new at it and the facade that the playing field is level crumbles more with each release as more and more honest players realize they are just being set up to spend money and be fodder for the unscrupulous or they give up and join the trading crowd (only a few stores still use decklists).

Sorry if that comes across as a rant, it really is more a release of frustration.

Gary
I got back into magic with the large wave of people that started flooding in around the Alara Block (due to the success of Duels of the Plainswalkers as a recruiting tool). There was some neat stuff going on then. Player Rewards were awesome, The DOTP promos were cool as well. And at release events, you weren't allowed to play with your promo, because it was usually a worthwhile card (hell even a mythic!).

Now, player rewards are gone, release event promos are crap (save for all the misprints), buy-a-box's...meh. Judge promos, very sweet, very select group, but aren't they getting rid of those? There's also GP promos, which tend to be nice.

Very few promos feel special to me. As prices, and a lot of the feedback out there indicate, this is pretty widely felt across the magic community. Now will WOTC respond to this? My guess is no. Their primary concern with such a large population of players is to keep the gameplay fun and interesting. When something gets stale (like block rotations) they change it. They won't neglect the collectors, but the majority of their profits come from players, so most of their decisions will revolve around them. It was nice while it lasted, but promos will soon be dust in the wind. :-(

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:42 pm

I don't think promos will go away or be worthless to people for a couple reasons.

There will always be people that like the glitter and like to have something just a little different in their decks (me too).
If any promos are done of really hot cards (i.e. judge promos (force of will) From the Vault (several cool one like Jace) or just great eye candy--Foil islands from UH. They will always be in demand.

In this case most of the rares in the set were also prerelease cards along with 5 mythic rares, (35 rares out of a total of 53 non land rares) Of the rares 29 list for $2 or less online. Only 7 of both mythic and rare list for $5 or more $10 highest) [these are regular card prices and only used to compare play value].

Thus, the collector is presented with a bunch of collect only cards that will probably never be of interest to serious players, thus, not increase in value.

The good side is they will also be easier to obtain for ones collection.

just saying....

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks to a member, OGB, who's gift of three prerelease cards brings my total to 4 in hand.

Narset, Enlightened Master
Dragon Throne of Tarkir
Trap Essence
plus the one from "you know where";
Temur Ascendarcy.

I have ordered several more from "you know where" as they are just not available for trade or purchase here in CS. I have been to all the shops and the only ones I have seen have been in decks. Kinda interesting in that most of them are really not Standard competitive--people must have just put them back, unlike they usually do with prerelease cards.

The only interest I have been able to generate is with a signed Helm of Obediance that I am dangling, trying to get key cards.

Thanks again to OGB for a good start.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

OGB
Librarities Hero

Post by OGB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Glad to help, Gary.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:35 pm

After a LOT of help I am down to three that I need to finish the English language set.

Crackling Doom
Bloodsoaked Champion
Dig through Time.

That last one will be hard to find in NM as it is rather popular, at least here, so I can only find played ones.

It has been very interesting to watch what has happened to this group of promos. For the first time in a LONG time prerelease promos have become a desirable commodity and their relative scarcity has influenced that.

I think that getting a global set would be a tremendous challenge--specially unplayed or NM.

They have mostly been unavailable at SCG and only a few have even been restocked. Good playing ones that were restocked were gone by the time I got the alert and tried to order it.
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Well here we are with the second expansion for the set.
Good news (at least according to a shop owner here) 25 Promos.
Not bad news for a one language collector but global collectors are in for a challenge.

I am confused (as usural) The WotC announcement used the number 40 for Alternate art cards in the set. I think that includes the 10 AA lands (some darn fine art there) and would leave 30 for the Ugin's Fate cards in the special boosters. I can only come up with a list of 27 combining some unofficial on line lists and what I saw at the prerelease. Can any of you help me make a complete list, and confirm what the promo list is?

Ugin's Fate: (I only have the * ones)
*Aimok Tracker
Altar of the Brood
Arc Lightning
*Arshin War Beast
Briber's Purse
Debilitating Injury
*Dragonscale Boom
*Fierce Invocation
Formless Nurturing
Ghostfire Blade
Grim Haruspex
Hewed-Stone Retainers
Jeering Instigator
Jeskai Infiltrator
Mystery of the Unseen
Mystic of the Hidden Way
*Ruthless Ripper
Smite the Monstrous
Soul Summons
Sultai Emissary
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Ugin's Construct
Watcher of the Roost
Wildcall
Write into Being
Reality Shift

Prerelease Promos:
ABZAN
Warden of the First Tree
Dromoka, the Eternal
*Rally the Ancestors
Dragonscale General
Sandsteppe Mastodon

JESKAI
Soulfire Grand Master
Ojutai, Soul of Winter
Sage-Eye Avengers
?
?
SULTAI
Torrent Elemental
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
*Tasigur, the Golden Fang
?
?

MARDU
Brutal Hordechief
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
Arcbond
Flamerush Rider
?
TEMUR
Shaman of the Great Hunt
Atarka, World Render
?
?
?
Gary Adkison

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:31 pm

I am pretty sure that something is wrong with the managing of promo cards release when people throw the cards from the Ugin pack directly into the trash can when there is not an Ugin inside. I mean, the art is pretty cool, and how the travel of Sarkhan modified the future is interesting, but the way promos are released... Is definitely not cool.

Also, the fact that the promo cards have no special promo number in them is like a punch the face. In any case, I'll try to get all the promo material in Spanish during the next week, so I'll try to update your list.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Well, I can say no one was throwing the AA Ugin's Fate cards away where I was. I did have a couple given to me that a player didn't want but most of them would only let me see them to record then wanted them back.

Even though there is no special number there is the "P" and in this case they have the holigram and "Ugin's Fate" on the bottom.

I notice there is even a couple full boxes up on ebay. Not sure if that would guarantee you and Ugin or not.

Is there a final answer on if there were any foils in the packs?

Gary
Gary Adkison

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:31 pm

No, the packs contain no foils and no, a box doesn't guarantee an Ugin. I opened boxes with two Ugin, a lot without it, and some with one.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Here's the best list I've seen so far of promos for Fate Reforged:

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Fate_Reforged

Abzan

Daghatar the Adamant
Dromoka, the Eternal
Dragonscale General
Rally the Ancestors
Sandsteppe Mastodon
Warden of the First Tree

Jeskai

Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
Ojutai, Soul of Winter
Jeskai Infiltrator
Mastery of the Unseen
Sage-Eye Avengers
Soulfire Grand Master

Sultai

Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Archfiend of Depravity
Soulflayer
Supplant Form
Torrent Elemental

Mardu

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
Kolaghan, the Storm’s Fury
Brutal Hordechief
Flamerush Rider
Arcbond
Mardu Strikeleader

Temur

Yasova Dragonclaw
Atarka, World Render
Flamewake Phoenix
Shaman of the Great Hunt
Shamanic Revelation
Wildcall

alt art:

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (FRF)
Mastery of the Unseen (FRF)
Smite the Monstrous (KTK)
Soul Summons (FRF)
Watcher of the Roost (KTK)

Jeskai Infiltrator (FRF)
Mystic of the Hidden Way (KTK)
Reality Shift (FRF)
Write into Being (FRF)
Debilitating Injury (KTK)
Grim Haruspex (KTK)
Ruthless Ripper (KTK)
Sultai Emissary (FRF)

Ainok Tracker (KTK)
Arc Lightning (KTK)
Fierce Invocation (FRF)
Jeering Instigator (KTK)
Arashin War Beast (FRF)
Dragonscale Boon (KTK)
Formless Nurturing (FRF)
Wildcall (FRF)

Altar of the Brood (KTK)
Briber's Purse (KTK)
Hewed Stone Retainers (FRF)
Ghostfire Blade (KTK)
Ugin's Construct (FRF)

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:06 pm

CHaPuZaS wrote:No, the packs contain no foils and no, a box doesn't guarantee an Ugin. I opened boxes with two Ugin, a lot without it, and some with one.
Cesar: Thanks, much. I don't play on bidding on the ones on "you know where"as they seem to assume there is a Ugin in it.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:30 pm

they usually do their homework well. They differ from my shop's info that there are only 5 per clan. Far from me to know as I only have 2 of them.

For the AA WotC just posted the pictures for them today. My list was complete with the 10 lands and 4 tokens it comes to the 40 someone was advocating,

Can anyone confirm the prerelease cards at 6 per clan?

Thanks psrex, now I need to start the hunt.

Gary
psrex wrote:Here's the best list I've seen so far of promos for Fate Reforged:

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Fate_Reforged

Abzan

Daghatar the Adamant
Dromoka, the Eternal
Dragonscale General
Rally the Ancestors
Sandsteppe Mastodon
Warden of the First Tree

Jeskai

Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
Ojutai, Soul of Winter
Jeskai Infiltrator
Mastery of the Unseen
Sage-Eye Avengers
Soulfire Grand Master

Sultai

Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Archfiend of Depravity
Soulflayer
Supplant Form
Torrent Elemental

Mardu

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
Kolaghan, the Storm’s Fury
Brutal Hordechief
Flamerush Rider
Arcbond
Mardu Strikeleader

Temur

Yasova Dragonclaw
Atarka, World Render
Flamewake Phoenix
Shaman of the Great Hunt
Shamanic Revelation
Wildcall

alt art:

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (FRF)
Mastery of the Unseen (FRF)
Smite the Monstrous (KTK)
Soul Summons (FRF)
Watcher of the Roost (KTK)

Jeskai Infiltrator (FRF)
Mystic of the Hidden Way (KTK)
Reality Shift (FRF)
Write into Being (FRF)
Debilitating Injury (KTK)
Grim Haruspex (KTK)
Ruthless Ripper (KTK)
Sultai Emissary (FRF)

Ainok Tracker (KTK)
Arc Lightning (KTK)
Fierce Invocation (FRF)
Jeering Instigator (KTK)
Arashin War Beast (FRF)
Dragonscale Boon (KTK)
Formless Nurturing (FRF)
Wildcall (FRF)

Altar of the Brood (KTK)
Briber's Purse (KTK)
Hewed Stone Retainers (FRF)
Ghostfire Blade (KTK)
Ugin's Construct (FRF)
Gary Adkison