A Misprint collectors worst nightmare came true VOL. II

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

A Misprint collectors worst nightmare came true VOL. II

Post by mmgun » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 pm

I dont know, if they have some marketing guy at WotC, who plans to distribute the most weird misprints always on mythic foils, to make us collectors have more fun..... But its a fact, they lately always mess up the most expensive cards somehow. Recently we had the topic with M15 s-chinese foil planeswalkers, now this.

I recently encountered, all M15 Spanish FOIL only Planeswalkers are different in their art. You can call them misprint, or alternate Art, or framed and cut off. I dont know yet how to classify this. Maybe they just printed all the layers in the wrong order ? Since all other language versions have identical foil and non foil versions, i suppose the spanish foils are wrong. Look yourself:

Last edited by mmgun on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm

I dont know, if they have some marketing guy at WotC, who plans to distribute the most weird misprints always on mythic foils, to make us collectors have more fun..... But its a fact, they lately always mess up the most expensive cards somehow. Recently we had the topic with M15 s-chinese foil planeswalkers, now this.
I think this could be true. To my mind, these are way too blatant to slip through the quality control.
This would go well with something Wizards wrote some time ago (don't know anymore where). It was about general set design, they wanted to include cards for every group of the community; tournament players, casual players, Timmy, Johny, Spike and all that, why not also for particular groups of collectors?

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: A Misprint collectors worst nightmare came true VOL. II

Post by dragsamou » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

mmgun wrote: I recently encountered, all M15 Spanish FOIL only Planeswalkers are different in ther art. You can call them misprint, or alternate Art, or framed and cut off. I dont know yet how to classify this. Maybe they just printed all the layers in the wrong order ? Since all other language versions have identical foil and non foil versions, i suppose the spanish foils are wrong.
Hi

I will call them Spanish Foil Extended Art.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:52 am

Neuron wrote:
I think this could be true. To my mind, these are way too blatant to slip through the quality control.
This would go well with something Wizards wrote some time ago (don't know anymore where). It was about general set design, they wanted to include cards for every group of the community; tournament players, casual players, Timmy, Johny, Spike and all that, why not also for particular groups of collectors?
I doubt that this is an intentional effort to "provide" something for collectors. The error is probably not that blatant to a normal staff member. Collectors, over the years have noticed a considerable number of card variations that no normal editor of QC person would ever notice.

In addition, it may well have been noticed and released anyway depending where the production process was at the time and what the suspense date was. In normal production it certainly is nothing to get real excited about--hay, it plays just like it should. Plus if the person proofing it is just doing that one language they may not even know it is an overlap or whatever.

Just my .02

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Question: why would Wizards do the layout of the cards for each language? wouldn't it be easier to just set them up all at one time, then just do overlays for each language? I don't work in a print job, but it sounds to me like this is just extra work and makes the process more prone to errors such as the Chinese and Spanish foil errors.

additional thought: have you looked at any of the other languages (German, Italian, Russian, etc) to be sure they aren't misprinted in some way too?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:46 pm

I would hope things have changed but back in the time of Ursa bloc WotC was not doing any translating. Local countries did it (thus some of the stupid things that happened to Korean cards). I think that was then made into a plate that overlayed the pictures. Think about it though. The guy overlaying the language sheet may not even know what the picture should be--or care all that much. If this is a different print run in the process it may never be noticed by workers and again, at a point in the run timing will determine if it is accepted or not--regardless of what may be on it.... LOL.

My wonder is: Which country were the Spanish ones printed in and what other languages were printed there and do the pictures compare?

This is all speculation of course, and kinda fun, without the knowledge of the printers' mechanics it is just musing in our cups.

Collect on!!!

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

palaueb
Librarities Member

Post by palaueb » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:20 pm

I think is belgium, with all the european ones.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:30 pm

palaueb wrote:I think is belgium, with all the european ones.
That would be my first guess but I have seen so many different things that I'm kinda confused as to what is done where.

In Korea I have seen Korean product From Belgium and from the US at the same dealer.
Gary Adkison

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 am

Hmmm after 20 years you think they woulda streamlined some of the processes and found ways to reduce errors.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:58 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
Neuron wrote:
I doubt that this is an intentional effort to "provide" something for collectors. The error is probably not that blatant to a normal staff member. Collectors, over the years have noticed a considerable number of card variations that no normal editor of QC person would ever notice.

In addition, it may well have been noticed and released anyway depending where the production process was at the time and what the suspense date was. In normal production it certainly is nothing to get real excited about--hay, it plays just like it should. Plus if the person proofing it is just doing that one language they may not even know it is an overlap or whatever.

Just my .02

Gary
When I wrote it, I had that article in mind:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazi ... eature/174
Proofing

Once the printer has the files, they print a test sheet of the card file and send it to Wizards of the Coast for proofing and approval. A team of proofers gets to work quickly making sure that the card files are correct and the card colors look good. These folks are amazing—they look over every card to make sure that it looks exactly how we want it to.

I've seen David catch errors that couldn't even be seen by most humans without the aid of a jeweler's loupe. The number of mistakes on Magic cards of all languages has gone way down since David began working at Wizards of the Coast.
With so many people, and especially David, at least to me it seemed quite unlikely to have that blatant misprints. But maybe the situation at Wizards is another now than it was three years ago.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:
additional thought: have you looked at any of the other languages (German, Italian, Russian, etc) to be sure they aren't misprinted in some way too?
All Other languages are correct picturewise.
Korean Nissa Worldwaker has two huge translation errors:

First Ability: Makes land to 4/4 trample Creatures UNTIL END OF TURN

Third Ability: Lands come into play TAPPED

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:34 am

dragsamou wrote:
mmgun wrote: I recently encountered, all M15 Spanish FOIL only Planeswalkers are different in ther art. You can call them misprint, or alternate Art, or framed and cut off. I dont know yet how to classify this. Maybe they just printed all the layers in the wrong order ? Since all other language versions have identical foil and non foil versions, i suppose the spanish foils are wrong.
Hi

"Extended" might be misleading here, since the wrong art is not extended, but cut off. ( The foil cards are the wrong ones, the non-foil cards with their extended art ( picture overlaps the cardframe) are correct)

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Neuron wrote:
If they did have somone on staff considering collectors of misprints I'm sure they wouldn't intentionally inject them into the process. If the community ever found out about something like that it could potentially result in all of us just not giving a damn anymore about these types of print variations and having less fatih in WoTC in general.

I'm not savy to the file management or exact printing process, but it appears that plainswalkers are the most complex type of card to produce, in regards to correct layer ordering, text management, etc. With more a complicated process you just have more spots in the pipeline where something can go wrong.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 pm

mmgun wrote:
dragsamou wrote:
Hi

"Extended" might be misleading here, since the wrong art is not extended, but cut off. ( The foil cards are the wrong ones, the non-foil cards with their extended art ( picture overlaps the cardframe) are correct)
As you probably know, my Normal Collection stops at Exodus, so M15, it's like traveling on Uranus for me....So reading again the first post, it's cropped not extended.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Finally the whole family together: