foil artist proofs

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

What do you think of foil proofs?

Awesome! Great!
22%
Now I have to collect twice as many things
26%
Don't care
52%

Total votes: 23

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

foil artist proofs

Post by l0qii » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:01 am

We now have foil artist proofs along with regular ones.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Tim

Are Promos concerned also ? Do we know the number of A.P. given to the Artist ? While, I don't care because I only collect Vintage A.P. of Specific sets that doesn't exist in Foils, just to add the info in the index if necessary.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

paris

Post by paris » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:38 pm

For m15 I think it's 30 foil artist proofs per card.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 am

paris wrote:For m15 I think it's 30 foil artist proofs per card.
It's 30

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 am

dragsamou wrote:Hi Tim

Are Promos concerned also ? Do we know the number of A.P. given to the Artist ? While, I don't care because I only collect Vintage A.P. of Specific sets that doesn't exist in Foils, just to add the info in the index if necessary.
No this is only for regular sets

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm

If anybody wants to ensure noone else can get a complete set of the foil artist proofs, you should buy this auction :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissa-Worldwake ... 3a981a513a

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:53 pm

:-O

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 pm

LOL, I just knew someone was going to do that.... Even though I do think that is a bit steep....

I really don't plan to buy any of the foil APs. In fact I have lost most of my desire for APs with the flood of digital art. Not picking at it but for some reason my interest has just evaporated for anything that is not done in a medium of some kind. I realize that it takes talent to do any art work but for some reason digital just doesn't turn me on.

I had considered selling some of my old common art but it is becoming more precious to me as time passes and there are so few works done.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: In fact I have lost most of my desire for APs with the flood of digital art. Not picking at it but for some reason my interest has just evaporated for anything that is not done in a medium of some kind. I realize that it takes talent to do any art work but for some reason digital just doesn't turn me on.

I agree. Even if the art looks fantastic, having a print is just not the same as having an original. With digital art, there is no "original", just prints.

Tav

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Actually, I did get an "original" from Glen Angus for his Coffin Puppet. He framed his sketch in with a print and the card.

As I understand though not all artists use sketches (pencil and Paper) with the digital--but I don't know for sure.

I think one thing that makes paintings so different for me is that they really have to be that way, you can't go back and change a pixel here or there. Again I really don't know what I'm talking about, it just seems that way to me.

Gary.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:24 am

I'm obviously envious of that piece Gary :p

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:25 am

I actually don't have a problem with digital art but I guess I grew up exploring MSPaint and photoshop and the like. I see it as a tool, like a paintbrush or a piece of chalk.

I paint and sketch a bit myself and did some airbrushing back in the day when I had more time.

The main shock to my system was when the computer took over my Calligraphy hobby, suddenly the ability to hold a pen and remember half a dozen scripts became obsolete. The computer could use thousands of different fonts, could automatically justify or centre the piece you were working on and you could check out half a dozen different styles without having to redraw the whole thing.

Rather than killing calligraphy it made the task of laying out and planning a matter of moments instead of hours that it used to take and you could show people what it was going to look like before you spent too much time on it, and printing it out took seconds, you no longer needed pens with different coloured inks, different size nibs, shadow nibs or any of the other expenses associated with calligraphy. It made the hobby more interesting, you could concentrate on the fun stuff and not the admin work.

I also used to do a lot of Celtic knot work, laboriously drawing our grids and guide lines. Most of my time was spent on the laying out of the knot rather than actually designing new knots (actually that was the fun part, the rest was just colouring in). They have programs for that now as well, but the programs can’t add the flourishes that an artist will include.

Often artists are frustrated by the limits of their medium, oils need to be given time to dry, paint and inks fade, chalks and charcoal smudge. These all prevent the artist realising their work. Digital art has its limitations as well, you are limited by what the program can do, but the programs are getting better all the time and they are being written by artists with computer skills, any limitations will be written out in the next program.

In the digital medium they can overcome a lot of these problems, they can make changes without having to redo the whole piece, they can spend their time working on their vision rather than trying to force the medium to do what they want, or missing parts out because they are not currently able to achieve the effect they are after.

My main concern was that all the art would look the same if the artists all used the same program, but really that is like being worried that every painting would look the same if all the artists used the same type of paint brush, or the same type of canvas.

I think that what you get at the end is a truer representation of what the artist had in mind rather than a picture where they have had to compromise in order to accomodate the medium.

Having said all that, all the art we have hanging up is oils, acrylics, lino cuts etc. We went into one art gallery and it was just photographs. I am sure there is a lot of effort that goes into taking a photograph, and lots of work in the darkroom, but I still don't see a photograph as a work of art in the same way as a painting. Particularly when they say they are limited edition prints, if they are that good, drop the price and sell 100 times more of them.

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:27 am

One thing that's easy to overlook is that painting these illustrations is the livelyhood of the artist. It's their job (no matter how awesome it is) and speed is a serious factor of economic success. Digital medium is faster, more flexible, and more secure (as long as you're smart about it at least) than its physical counterpart. So not only is quick easy to change art generally a wiser choice for the artist, employers are also demanding quicker turnaround times and are more freely asking for revisions.

Storytime: I was working on a project for a client that involved creating an image of a dragon protecting a person. The first thing you do is create a blockout image. This is a very quick rough sketch, that you use to lay out all the details of the image, and come to an agreement with the customer before you take the time to render a completed piece. After that it's customary to show WIP images as you progress. Back to the story, I completed the project, and sent it to the customer (keep in mind I've been providing regular updates). I get an email back saying something like this: "It's heading in the right direction, but Dragon's aren't real. Can you make it a ghost dragon?" ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

If I had been using traditional medium, I would have had to have a talk with the customer requesting more funds to cover the time for the changes, or (and this is probably what would have happened) I would make the changes and eat the cost of my time to make the customer happy (to get repeat business). The changes weren't difficult to make, all I had to do was re-work the dragon's layer in photoshop (+1 for flexibility :wink: ).

Now with all that said, I take the time to draw in my sketchbook every day for my sanity's sake. There's something about using physical medium that I have yet to experience with digital. I do personal work with both traditional and digital media, but I tend to favor getting my hands dirty with clay or graphite. My brain has been conditioned however to think "Ctrl + Z" whenever I make a mistake.

As far as collecting art, I have a pretty healthy spread of original paintings and drawings as well as a good number of Giclee's (fancy made up term for prints). I would always prefer to own an original, but if I see something that I really like, and I want to support the artist, I don't mind buying a print either (most will look really nice in a frame although I'm not a huge fan of photo papers).

There will always be original art to collect. It might not the 100% final piece, but I don't think we will ever stray too far enoguh from the good ol pencil that we'll have to start collecting original photoshop files (as interesting that that might be).

Wait....wasn't this a thread about foil AP's? :-D

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:32 am

TheJGit wrote: Wait....wasn't this a thread about foil AP's? :-D
They are making foil APs?!

:-O

Awesome!

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:06 am

FYI those Nissa proofs didn't sell and are now on sale individually