Prerelease promos--They are choking me.

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

How do you feel about the number of promos with Khans of Tarkir

Poll ended at Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

To many-loss of interest
100%
Just right-nice layout
No votes
Love it--give me more
No votes

Total votes: 20

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Prerelease promos--They are choking me.

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Board Members;

To be honest I am overwhelmed with the idea of how many promos there are for this new set. If I am understanding correctly there are over 500 and that may not include the alternate art cards in the Intro packs. That menas the block will be over 1000 in all languages.

At the risk of misunderstanding from some members I would like to suggest that we reduce the promos to English only. I don't say this lightly and I mean no insult to the other languages or the countries from which they come. I just can not commit to that much work. Even committing to do the English alone is intimidating.

Having page after page of blank boxes is no credit to the board or collecting.

Of course, if anyone will step forward and offer to do other languages that would be great and those languages would be added as the scans are received and avoid all the blank spaces.

We would all rather have all languages. But I think WotC has diluted the significance of promos with this action. I really don't have the same feeling about "prerelease" cards being a unique representation of the set like they used to be. They are all just so much extra stuff now--not much different than the pins/stickers/challenge sheets/etc. The players sure are not very excited about them (of course they haven't been for several years now).

Thoughts anyone?

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Perhaps the promos could be displayed by language (in addition to, or instead of by year), much like the 1996 Introductory Two-Player cards are displayed?

For example, you click on Arena league promos, and in the index, there's two links: one for English, one for Japanese.

I still think it important to catalogue all the languages, and having a separate link for each language will alleviate the concerns for 9/10 spots being blank. It would also allow for a neat "check" on the progress in acquiring scans for each respective language.

I understand this suggestion would require a metric ton of work, and might seem an overwhelming overhaul of the current organization.

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:40 pm

The number of promos was definitely a gameplay based decision. WOTC clearly wanted players to select their box colors based on the colors and not the power level of the promo. And in that regard I do like their decision. On the other hand, I think they were too attached to the idea of being able to play with your release event promo, and as MT said, they are no longer special (and not many people care about them).

As far as the catalogue is concerned, as long as the existance of each promo in each laguage notated (i don't think that would be too hard would it?) Then I don't see any issue with having only 1 language represented via scans.

Hopefully this mass promo thing stops in future sets, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:29 pm

I also feel like it's important to document all the languages, but it has become much more than any one person can, or should, handle alone. The same thing happened with tracking product codes. The volume of work to be done is discouraging. I have no problem with you handling just english for now.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:17 pm

That is totaly insane !
Do we have a list on the last Prerelease cards ? I fell lost ...

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Here is the list of possible prerelease promos that I found:

Abzan
Anafenza, the Foremost
Ivorytusk Fortress
Abzan Ascendancy
Herald of Anafenza
Siege Rhino
High Sentinels of Arashin
Hardened Scales
Duneblast

Jeskai
Narset, Enlightened Master
Sage of the Inward Eye
Jeskai Ascendancy
Deflecting Palm
Flying Crane Technique
Dragon-Style Twins
Master of Pearls
Thousand Winds

Sultai
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
Rakshasa Vizier
Sultai Ascendancy
Villainous Wealth
Necropolis Fiend
Kheru Lich Lord
Grim Haruspex
Dig Through Time

Mardu
Zurgo Helmsmasher
Ankle Shanker
Mardu Ascendancy
Jeering Instigator
Crackling Doom
Bloodsoaked Champion
Utter End
Butcher of the Horde

Temur
Surrak Dragonclaw
Avalanche Tusker
Temur Ascendancy
Crater's Claws
Trap Essence
Trail of Mystery
Icy Blast
Rattleclaw Mystic

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 am

How long until every card in the set is represented by a promo card, that would be worth collecting.

I guess I lost interest in seeing previews of cards when I stopped playing but really the Nettling Imps etc never really excited me much anyway, you got a bit of an idea of the flavour of the set.

If they were gong to change the card, frames, symbols etc. then I think promo cards will generate plenty of interest or discussion. If the promocard comes out with the new abilities on it then that would also be interesting for people to discuss the possibilities as well, but with each new set pretty much spoiled before it is available in the shops I don't really see the point in promo cards except as collector bait.

I also think that you have to collect what you are interested in before you consider your commitment to the hobby in general, your first goal it to enjoy your collection, to look forward to the release of new items to add. If you are dreading every new release and you are still trying to complete previous issues , finding it harder to source everything and paying a fortune just to keep up then I think you will eventually lose interest in the whole thing.

Do what you like and do it to the best of your abilities.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 am

Psrex, thanks a bunch for the list. I was not able to find one, I Googled for one, looked on WotC and MTG-Salvaton and gave up.

I have removed the ones I have. One of the shop owners is saving what he gets for me. REALLY, it doesn't seem like players give a rip for them. 3 of the ones I got were 'Oh, you want one of those? here..."

psrex wrote:Here is the list of possible prerelease promos that I found:

Abzan
Abzan Ascendancy
Herald of Anafenza
Siege Rhino
Hardened Scales
Duneblast

Jeskai
Sage of the Inward Eye
Jeskai Ascendancy
Deflecting Palm
Flying Crane Technique
Dragon-Style Twins
Master of Pearls
Thousand Winds

Sultai
Rakshasa Vizier
Sultai Ascendancy
Villainous Wealth
Grim Haruspex
Dig Through Time

Mardu
Zurgo Helmsmasher
Ankle Shanker
Mardu Ascendancy
Crackling Doom
Bloodsoaked Champion
Utter End
Butcher of the Horde

Temur
Surrak Dragonclaw
Temur Ascendancy
Trail of Mystery
Rattleclaw Mystic
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:20 am

berkumps wrote: I still think it important to catalogue all the languages, and having a separate link for each language will alleviate the concerns for 9/10 spots being blank. It would also allow for a neat "check" on the progress in acquiring scans for each respective language.
I understand this suggestion would require a metric ton of work, and might seem an overwhelming overhaul of the current organization.
Mark; I sure agree with the amount of work involved and, of course, it will be Alexis's call as he has to do it all.

trying to picture what you are saying though. There would be links to a page of empty boxes for the language that would be filled in as available?

that would tidy up the pages and eliminate the splotchy look you get when you go to a page that is half full. I like that idea but have no concept of what it involves in the way of work.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:25 am

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:How long until every card in the set is represented by a promo card, that would be worth collecting.

I guess I lost interest in seeing previews of cards when I stopped playing but really the Nettling Imps etc never really excited me much anyway, you got a bit of an idea of the flavour of the set.

If they were gong to change the card, frames, symbols etc. then I think promo cards will generate plenty of interest or discussion. If the promocard comes out with the new abilities on it then that would also be interesting for people to discuss the possibilities as well, but with each new set pretty much spoiled before it is available in the shops I don't really see the point in promo cards except as collector bait.

I also think that you have to collect what you are interested in before you consider your commitment to the hobby in general, your first goal it to enjoy your collection, to look forward to the release of new items to add. If you are dreading every new release and you are still trying to complete previous issues , finding it harder to source everything and paying a fortune just to keep up then I think you will eventually lose interest in the whole thing.

Do what you like and do it to the best of your abilities.
Mark;
For me they spoiled it what they put out spoilers. Took all the excitement out of doing the prerelease. Also IMO opened the door for the "have to win" crowd to not only plan ahead for what they needed to make a killer deck but -- I hate to say it -- encouraged the "trading" of cards on the sly at these events. And anyone that says this doesn't happen on a significant scale has their head in a dark place.

Also, thanks for refreshing my purpose for collecting--- I needed that right now.

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:54 am

Hi All

First thanks for Gary for that post, I indeed express to him the madness of this new expansion and the amount of work and time it will take me, and how for the first time, I was not even sure to add the Prerelease Promos. The exact number is 540 Promos for now:

Buy a Box Promos: 11
Rattleclaw Mystic

Holiday Gift Box: 1
Sultai Charm

Intro Pack Promos (Need to create a new subsection): 55
Ankle Shanker
Avalanche Tusker
Ivorytusk Fortress
Rakshasa Vizier
Sage of the Inward Eye
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2014-09-04

Launch Party Cards: 11
Dragon Throne of Tarkir

Magic Game Day Cards: 22
Heir of the Wilds
Utter End

Prerelease Promos: 440 (Maybe more)

Add the 10 different Misprinted Non-Standard Error Cards (I started added some in that subsection)and probably more to come, not mentioning 5 different types of errors:

*Cutted Date
*Misplaced Date
*Shifted Date
*Upside Down Date
* Wrong language on Date
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/703-rar ... romos.html
Last edited by dragsamou on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 am

I tried to collect all the promos i could get on my 2 local pre releases ( 2x 24 Players) , but guess, nobody wanted to get rid of theirs !!! I see no way of getting these other than buying on MCM.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:29 pm

In re-reading your post it dawns on me that in reality these cards have become just that--a game mechanic. At the very least, a card with a duel role. As i said, the reaction here was quite indifferent as to the value of the card being a "promo".

I am looking forward to how they price out on the web compared to plain cards and normal foils. It has appeared that the dated cards are considered sub-standard to regular foils for any cards of any value.

I am still in shock that WotC had to use 40 cards to sidetrack serious players in their decision making for what Khan to pick for the prerelease. It says to me that either 1) WotC is not capable of designing 5 equally good cards to represent each of the Khans. or 2) Pre publishing the set spoiler has spoiled the original good part of a new set--going to a prerelease to "discover" what is new.
I am thinking there really is no need for a prerelease event any more. There is nothing new at it and the facade that the playing field is level crumbles more with each release as more and more honest players realize they are just being set up to spend money and be fodder for the unscrupulous or they give up and join the trading crowd (only a few stores still use decklists).

Sorry if that comes across as a rant, it really is more a release of frustration.

Gary
TheJGit wrote:The number of promos was definitely a gameplay based decision. WOTC clearly wanted players to select their box colors based on the colors and not the power level of the promo. And in that regard I do like their decision. On the other hand, I think they were too attached to the idea of being able to play with your release event promo, and as MT said, they are no longer special (and not many people care about them).

As far as the catalogue is concerned, as long as the existance of each promo in each laguage notated (i don't think that would be too hard would it?) Then I don't see any issue with having only 1 language represented via scans.

Hopefully this mass promo thing stops in future sets, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
Gary Adkison

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 pm

I feel for you Gary! This is exactly why I limited myself to just collecting the Alpha set as trying to do others would take all my time (and $$$$).
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:47 pm

On a related note, I hope someone from WotC is looking at this thread and sees the poll results.