Evolution: the art of Rebecca Guay kickstarter

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Default User
Librarities Hero

Evolution: the art of Rebecca Guay kickstarter

Post by Default User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:52 am

Rebecca opened a kickstarter for her art book two weeks back, but I haven't seen any mention of it here yet. With several MtG-related prints availlable, there might be some interest to people here. There was even original Serra Angel art from the 1993 comics and originalö art of Wall of Wood, but somebody managed to nab those already.

The kickstarter is here.

One of the 'gifts' is a chance to get up to 400 cards signed by her, so heads up for anybody wanting to get their signed card collection filled up.

With kind regards,

Tuomas
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

paris

Post by paris » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 am

I think the red book looks cooler than the gold book.

I'm not sure how I feel about kickstarters though. The last MTG art kickstarter book I ordered around a year ago, and it's well behind schedule and I still haven't gotten it, and I think that one had several people working on it.

If this one is just Rebecca and she also has to produce everything, plus sign 3,200 magic cards (for kickstarter gifts), plus come up with 80 original pencil sketches (for kickstarter gifts), plus come up with 17 original watercolor sketches (for kickstarter gifts), plus sketch and send out over 300 sketched artist proofs (based on her kickstarter update at rebeccaguay.com), and all this on top of all her regular work, I could see it getting postponed/delayed for a long long time.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:10 pm

paris wrote:I think the red book looks cooler than the gold book.

I'm not sure how I feel about kickstarters though. The last MTG art kickstarter book I ordered around a year ago, and it's well behind schedule and I still haven't gotten it, and I think that one had several people working on it.

If this one is just Rebecca and she also has to produce everything, plus sign 3,200 magic cards (for kickstarter gifts), plus come up with 80 original pencil sketches (for kickstarter gifts), plus come up with 17 original watercolor sketches (for kickstarter gifts), plus sketch and send out over 300 sketched artist proofs (based on her kickstarter update at rebeccaguay.com), and all this on top of all her regular work, I could see it getting postponed/delayed for a long long time.
I will chime in here. I have been a member of Kickstarter for 2 years and 8 months. I have backed 106 projects. I will chime in on what a lot of people complain about Kickstarter about (not saying you are complaining, just using your post as a jumping off point).

Kickstarter is not a website where you go on and order things that are already created or produced or are finished products. You are funding people's dreams, ideas, inventions, art etc. These are ideas that people are collecting money to bring to fruition. It is a long process from start to finish from having an idea to getting that idea completed. Most people's daily projects at work do not go smooth all the time, I think we can agree to that. So when you get someone who is creating something on their own, you have to have the same expectations.

Not all Kickstarter projects go smooth, are done on time, have great communication or any amount of other things that can go wrong. That is what you are signing up for. You are signing up to go on a journey with the project creators from start to finish.

My first backed project, which was in June 2011, I still have not received anything from. This is going to happen. I will not lie and say I am not supper pissed (escp when he is selling the game on his website that I along with most of the backers never got). There are others that have "ripped me off" too, but such is life. I know what I am signing up for when I donate to a project. Nothing is guaranteed.

Some of my favorite things I own I have gotten off of Kickstarter. I have an electric skateboard that is so awesome that I got off Kickstarter. My brother got one and him and his girlfriend take them down to the boardwalk and fly around (they go 18 mph and are speed controlled by leaning forward or backward).

I helped an elementary school class build a robot. I helped finance a 20 something female take a 6 month art trip through the amazon. I helped a local farm produce organic crops for a line of hot sauces. I helped documentaries to get the stories out for the Egyptian Revolution and Poaching in Africa.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I believe people should not look at Kickstarter as an online store that you are order something off of, but a place where people can come together as a group and help someone achieve a dream.

/my 2 cents. Jason

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 pm

I really have to second what Jason said. For me, I only give money to projects I want to see happen for the sake of the project itself. I don't do it "in order to" get something back but in order to see what I think is a worthy addition to our world happen.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.