Promotional cards from 1997

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Promotional cards from 1997

Post by berkumps » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Were there any standard sized (ie. not oversized) promos released in 1997 that anybody knows about?

EDIT: I can only think of Dirtcowl Wurm Tempest prerelease promo. Is this the only standard sized promo card released this year?

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 pm

The only one that I can think of is the Dirtcowl Wurm pre-release card for Tempest.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:23 am

Thats the only one I know of. However, I was in Korea from 92-98 and may have missed others.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 pm

I guess I should specify I'm curious about English only promos from '97, as the Japanese RPG Magazine promos from issues #82 and #85 were released in '97:

金切り声のドレイク
Shrieking Drake

タールルームの勇者
Talruum Champion

命の川
Stream of Life

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 pm

I completely forgot about this:

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I actually think Richard would be hurt if anyone thought of that as a "promo" card.

It was never meant to promote anything, was never "released", was never available to the public, and most of all was not a Wizards of the Coast product (ie. managed, designed, produced, distributed or owned by them).

Special? Yes.
Promo? No.

Just saying.....

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:28 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I actually think Richard would be hurt if anyone thought of that as a "promo" card.

It was never meant to promote anything, was never "released", was never available to the public, and most of all was not a Wizards of the Coast product (ie. managed, designed, produced, distributed or owned by them).

Special? Yes.
Promo? No.

Just saying.....

Gary
I understand what you're saying, and I was probably too broad/general in my definition of promo when asking the question. I agree that this card would not be considered a promotional item, as it was not intended to "promote" the game of MtG.

I should have been more descriptive when asking my question, what I meant was are there any non-standard cards (ie. not obtainable in boosters/starters/boxsets) produced in 1997 that people would have a desire to collect.

By your definition of "promotional", how would you classify the following:

Proposal
Splendid Genesis
Fraternal Exaltation
1996 World Champion
Shichifukujin Dragon
Robot Chicken

For Proposal, Splendid Genesis and Fraternal Exaltation, your defining requirement of being a WotC product would eliminate them from any sort of promo category. Additionally, they were not intended to promote anything MtG related, but to commemorate a personal/family milestone. As for not being available to the public, the definition of this would have to be clarified. While Splendid Genesis and Fraternal Exaltation were not initially intended to be available to the public, the fact that many collectors own these cards (and were not given them by the Garfield's) means they are certainly now available to the public. In my opinion, Proposal was, is, and never should be available to the public, but that is obviously out of my control.

The 1996 World Champion card, while being unique, would certainly be considered a promo card since it was a tournament prize (produced by WotC). The fact that a collector was able to purchase it from Tom Chanpheng means it was inevitably available to the public (for the right price).

The Shichifukujin Dragon is a tricky one. It meets two of your three defining categories for a promo (promotes something MtG related, is a WotC product), however it was never "released" to the public (unless a heist of epic proporitions were to occur), precluding it from your "promotional" category. I myself, would still consider this a promotional item, since it is a WotC product intended to promote/commemorate something MtG.

The Robot Chicken, while being a WotC product, was intended as a gift or thank you, much like the Splendid Genesis and Fraternal Exaltation were intended. Ultimately, this will also be available to the public. If someone can "buy" the unique '96 World Champion card, then someone will surely be able to purchase one of the 6 Robot Chicken cards out there. However, this card would then only hit 2 of your 3 requirements, precluding it from "promo" status aswell. I would also not consider this a promo.

In my long winded opinion, I guess my definition of a MtG promotional item would be as such:

1) A Wizards of the Coast produced item

2) Intended to promote/commemorate the game of Magic on some sort of level

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm

This does get rather philosophical.

Certainly your definition of "promo" is just as good as mine. It fits for you, mine fits for me, cards that don't fit for one of us may be a prize for the other.

The only expostulation I would add is that when I listed "released" to the public I was/am thinking of intent (as in your second criteria). Is this a public item or a personal/privet item?

I really don't know what the intent of the 1996 championship card was. I can think of more than one possibility but know nothing.

I can include, for the Championship card and the S dragon in that the items were released to the public--even if only in media form. This would be the same as promoting the company with banners, media events, flyers, etc. ad infinitum-ad naseum (sp?).

The full intent of the chicken?

Richard's cards were each given to specific people. Now what those people did with them is irrelevant in defining the item. The fact that they were special to the family and used to share a wonderful event, in my mind, does not "release" them to the public any more than if I gave you something I hoped you would treasure and you tossed it in the trash would be me "releasing" it to the public. Sure it escaped to the public but that does not represent my intent. We must remember here, also, that monetary value has noting to do with the definition. The action of purchasing an item does not modify the original intent.

Just a different view.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Worth
Librarities Legend

?

Post by Worth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:18 pm

:)
Last edited by Worth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:25 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
I can include, for the Championship card and the S dragon in that the items were released to the public--even if only in media form. This would be the same as promoting the company with banners, media events, flyers, etc. ad infinitum-ad naseum (sp?).

Gary
These items should be a whole new category for this site, before everyone who was involved forgets all the Magic-specific Media items.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm

hammr7 wrote: These items should be a whole new category for this site, before everyone who was involved forgets all the Magic-specific Media items.
You mean what they haven't forgot already. I found two Berlin Worlds items a couple days ago and have no idea exactly how they were used. They are small banners. Not sure if they were hung from the cealing, put on tables, used for asswipe or what.

Edit: Ooops, forgot the purpose of this post... Good Idea hammr!!!

Gary