and yet another tournament environment - States

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

and yet another tournament environment - States

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:33 am

It seems WotC has introduced yet another tournament environment called States: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ev ... gic/states

The description sounds very close to the Champs tournaments but is listed separately. Part of the accompanying price structure is a promo card (of a yet unknown identity).

bradleyjx
Librarities Member

Post by bradleyjx » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:37 am

Ralph: From the listings of locations, it looks like States is just what they're calling "Champs" for events in the US.

There may be different foil imprints on the cards, but they're probably the same event.

coolio
Librarities Legend

Post by coolio » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:48 pm

so they renamed champs again.. cant wotc maintain any consistency? :-|| :-|| :-||

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:13 am

bradleyjx: It is indeed possible that they are the same event. The problem is that they use two different logos and take place in two different locations (States in the US and Champs in the rest of the world), so I will probably be forced to create separate pages for them.

murban

Post by murban » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:56 pm

I thought they originally called them "States", then the program went worldwide and became "States/Regionals/Provincials" which was wordy and changed to "Champs" ... and now, apparently, back to "States" for the U.S. A look at the history for the States/States/Regionals/Provincials/Champs/States playmats would be interesting.

murban

Post by murban » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:59 pm

Hmm, I think "Territory" and "Island" might have been used somewhere, too, and "Regionals" probably wasn't one of the names (I got confused with the other "Regionals" existing tournaments)

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:48 am

Champs was called State/Province/Territory/Island Championships before 2006.