Edit the PHP software!!!

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

secretgiant
Librarities Hero

Edit the PHP software!!!

Post by secretgiant » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:17 pm

Give members with a high number of posts (40+) the ability to delete anything from someone with a very low number of posts (3-5), this way anyone can shut off these quick spammers.
My username was lordsilver, but it displayed as secretgiant. I am the same user.
My gallery without updates: http://photobucket.com/albums/b260/secr ... ?start=all

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Re: Edit the PHP software!!!

Post by TerraFrost » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:48 pm

secretgiant wrote:Give members with a high number of posts (40+) the ability to delete anything from someone with a very low number of posts (3-5), this way anyone can shut off these quick spammers.
One problem with that, I think, is that that would very likely be abused. If there was ever a heated political debate, people could use this feature to silence critics by deleting their posts.

That said, I think giving people this ability would effectively be making them moderators. As such, giving them that status, through the ACP, would probably be more to the point.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi.
Spams are Really not staying that long on the Forums,as I delete most of them Immediately.Having 10 Members deleting Spams won't be changing that there's always be spammers.IMHO.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Dr. Doom
Librarities Hero

Post by Dr. Doom » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:22 pm

maybe a better signup sequence, so that bots do not have a chance to register.
at least, it seems that there are a lot of bots between them
I am many!

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:24 pm

secretgiant's idea is not feasible. As it has been said, I would effectively have to make a lot of people moderators, and I do not wish to do that. The power to delete posts is far too powerful to hand it to people I barely know.

That being said, I am concerned about the spammer problem. I have to delete around 3 to 4 spammer accounts daily, and I know that a lot more bots have their spam messages suppressed by countermeasures but nonetheless pollute the memberlist. My solution will be executed in three steps:

1. I will install phpBB 3.0 as it becomes available. At the moment, Beta 4 is tested, so a final release is soon to come. I hope that it will feature advanced countermeasures to fend off bots.

2. I will do a massive cleanup of the memberlist. It will be done in the same way as last time, only that this time all members without posts will receive an email, not only those who have registered at least half a year ago.

3. I will introduce some registration requirements specifically aimed to filter out bots. The basic idea is that new members will have to post something customized within a short span of time after their registration or have their accounts deleted. Further details will follow after I will have studied all options phpBB 3.0 will offer.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:57 am

Since all the spam typically goes to the website general section of the forum, I thin we should add a new area callled "real website general". We can use the "real" section for our needs, and the spammers can go to the old section, and be deleted whenever a mod gets a chance.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:57 am

I made Scheduled for Deletion the first board. Maybe this helps a little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:01 am

hammr7 wrote:Since all the spam typically goes to the website general section of the forum, I thin we should add a new area callled "real website general". We can use the "real" section for our needs, and the spammers can go to the old section, and be deleted whenever a mod gets a chance.
Hi Hank.
This apply for some of them,but,I delete sometimes Spams that are in every sections of the website,yesterday it was the same spam in every forums including last post of some members.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Mr. Nightmare
Librarities Hero

Post by Mr. Nightmare » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:23 pm

On MTGTheSource.com, we've initiated a policy of Administrator Authentication on all new member signups. This basically means all new users have to be approved by administrators befor they can post. While this may be a slight bit more work for the admins, it's generally less than it would be to delete all the spam that floods the site.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Mr. Nightmare: I thought about this, but I see the problem that I can not tell in front who is a spammer and who is not (some obvious names excluded), so I would have to interview all these people which sounds impractical. How do you manage this?

Note: The administrator authentication feature in this software does not prevent people from actually registering, just from posting. Additional means are necessary to keep the memberlist free of bots.

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:40 am

I thought they was bots but I might be off.

Even if it only keep them from posting its ok right, thats their goal?

And you dont need to do a fancy interview. A simpel mtg related question will put spammers off. "what differs beta from unl?" or something along thoose lines.