Foil Spiritmonger at Grand Prixs

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:20 pm

The Eternal Dragon is a free giveaway to all visitors of the event who register at the DCI booth. It is not necessary that they actually participate in any tournament held there. The idea reaches back to 1999 when the Balduvian Hordes promo was given out in a similar way at Worlds. My guess is that somebody within WotC came up with the idea to make top level events more attractive for visitors. From there, it was a logical step to include Grand Prix events. They probably decided not to introduce a separate Worlds promo because they deemed it too narrow.

I like the new Spiritmonger artwork a lot better than the old one, not because the new one looks otherworldly good, but because the old one looks extremely crappy in my opinion. Glen Angus has done a much better job on other cards.

svenman
Librarities Member

Post by svenman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:19 pm

The Eternal Dragon was indeed given out to everyone in Paris (I got one!). However, at Pro Tour Kobe two months ago only competitors could get one (in spite what was said on the website). A friend of mine was in Kobe by sheer coincidence but could get not one.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:30 pm

OK...I am getting confused. My understanding of this is as follows:

Only participants at PT Kobe got Eternal Dragons
At GP Paris, everyone walking by got Eternal Dragons and only participants got the new Spiritmongers?

Is this correct?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:33 pm

mintcollector wrote:OK...I am getting confused. My understanding of this is as follows:

At GP Paris, everyone walking by got Eternal Dragons and only participants got the new Spiritmongers?

Is this correct?
Hi Mike.
At Worlds in Paris,only owners of a DCI Card could get some.The Spiritmonger was not available yet,but at the next Grand Prix in 2007.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:35 pm

dragsamou wrote:
mintcollector wrote:OK...I am getting confused. My understanding of this is as follows:

Is this correct?
Hi Mike.
At Worlds in Paris,only owners of a DCI Card could get some.The Spiritmonger was not available yet,but at the next Grand Prix in 2007.
Ah...so anyone who could present a card containing a valid DCI number got one. So there was no special promo for GP Paris atendees then right? The Spiritmonger will be next year at the GP.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:43 pm

mintcollector wrote:
dragsamou wrote:

Is this correct?
Hi Mike.
Ah...so anyone who could present a card containing a valid DCI number got one. So there was no special promo for GP Paris atendees then right? The Spiritmonger will be next year at the GP.
Correct Mike,that's why some people got 4 or 5 Eternal Dragon,just by showing DCI cards from friends ;-) .No Special Promo at GP Paris.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 am

I'm fairly sure that the first GP of 2007 is here in Texas (GP Dallas)

I plan on working at it, since it is like 20 mins from my house and would gladly try to get some of these for you guys if anyone wants them.

*prepares for the barrage of PMs*
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

svenman
Librarities Member

Post by svenman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:16 am

dragsamou wrote:
mintcollector wrote:
dragsamou wrote:

Is this correct?
Hi Mike.
Correct Mike,that's why some people got 4 or 5 Eternal Dragon,just by showing DCI cards from friends ;-) .No Special Promo at GP Paris.
Mintcollector, there wasn't a Grand Prix (GP) in Paris, "only" a World Championship.

I didn't even show my DCI card by the way, just gave them my number. Someone I know gave five different numbers... So these cards are not very rare in France right now :)

PolarBearGod
Librarities Legend

Post by PolarBearGod » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:49 am

A pic....

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:04 pm

What new devilry is this? The card is said to be given out on Grand Prix events in 2007 but has a Pro Tour logo and a copyright of 2006!

Edit: This image is a mockery. The real card has a different copyright line coded GP 2007.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:22 pm

The image also does not have any collector number info on it. It should say GP 2007 on it to the right of the copyright. This image is definitely bogus.