crimped cards

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Re: crimped cards

Post by dry cereal » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:07 pm

I'm super busy until next week.  This belongs in a personal message but I dont have time.  Yes, this sounds excellent.  Will send you email monday.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:59 am

dry_cereal: ok... I will wait until next week to get the crimps then. Like I said, I don't want to trade/buy cards that would be "doubles" for you! I'll wait for your payment/trade list, and cards you have email. Thank you. :-)

Regards,
Dylan I.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:09 am

this will probably interest you.
it seems very much mirrodin is crimped
its talked about on mtgnews
http://forums.mtgnews.com/showthread.ph ... did=148360

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:36 am

holy crap.  What value do you think is reasonable on these?

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:14 pm

dry_cereal: you will be happy. I picked up 3 crimped cards from the same one person last night at my gaming store. I know I said I would wait til you sent me a list of what you had, but I had to... reason you will be happy, one of them is a FOIL and is seriously crimped down into the title. Its crazy :-P

Let me know about trading/selling these to you. Thanks.

PS: Also talked to the owner of the gamestore, who opens many booster displays (and I mean many) for his binders and boxes to sell, and for himself. I asked him if maybe when he occasionally got a miscut or a crimped card, if there was somewhere special he put it like a "odd box" or something. He just laughed and said that out of allllll the boxes he has opened over the many years he has been selling cards, he has only gotten a very small amount of crimps, which he just kept for his own collection, because he didn't want to sell damaged cards.

So... although most people have seen / heard of them, I don't think they are *that* common.

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:42 pm

yay, thanks.  I dont have that many (yet), so it's a pretty safe bet I dont have the ones you find.  Plus, having doubles is never a bad thing.  Especially since all crimps are different.  If you get all you can, I'm all about getting them all, so I wont mind  8).  Also, I think the old ones are much more rare than the new ones.  In addition, probably because of exposure reasons, I have never seen a foreign crimp.  because the new ones are so much less rare, I wonder how realistic it may be to collect a set of rares/commons/foils.  Only one way to find out  ;).  Thanks for all your help so far everyone.  I think I'll make a site devoted to crimps, any interest in that?    

PS, thanks for the info llanowar, it makes me ravenous to see so many.  I must have them all  >:(   ;)

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:55 pm

my current list of crimps.  

http://www.geocities.com/feedmecakes/mycrimps.txt
well...thats them.  

I'll try to keep it updated and get scans of em.

Thanks to all people who helped and who are helping.  If you want credit for what you sent me, email me what you want credit for.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:44 am

Hey Dry Cereal.

I'm new to the rarities forum, but have been collecting for years. I'm picking up a misprint collection in a few weeks, so I decided to browse to "educate" myself. You'll be seeing me on here quite a bit in the near future...

Anyhow, I have a lot of crimped cards. It'll take me awhile to find them all, but I have plenty. Some are junk, like a foil Crypt Keeper. Others are great, like Beta rares such as Balance, Time Vault, and even a Mox Jet.

The junk- and there is plenty of it- I'll gladly part with, I don't value them highly. Other cool cards I may just see what they are worth. I'm sure that Moxen still move even if crimped...

Anyways, I'll be in touch. Give me a week or so, I can come up w/ a list.

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:02 pm

This is getting way to expensive/time consuming and overwhelming.  My funds dried up, so I'll still buy the ones people got intentionally with me in mind, but I gotta put it on hold for a while and just chill out on the buying.  There really is no rush anyway.  

"crimp" is way too general collectable for one man.  I either need to find a less broad interest, or live off hand-outs  ;).  

I'm still interested in older crimps (that's where you come in fvzappa) (cheap ones though)

foreign crimps

uncommon crimps

and I want the entire pack a crimp came in (ie all other cards, the crimp, and the wrapper it came in).  

and

a pack with wrapper where all the cards within are crimped.

Also, fvzappa, welcome to the site.  I'd very much like to speak with you and learn all about your crimp collection.  Maybe if you have some stuff I have to have I'll cut back on eating for a week to buy it.   :P

rgerards

Post by rgerards » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:48 pm

Hi,

I have a foil crimped Leonin Skyhunter (very good uncommon). If u send me your adress I will donate it :)

Remco

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:46 am

just noticed my mpr insect token is a lil crimped, and the demon token is just barely touched with crimp.  How exciting.  5 or 6 years ago I found a crimp...and threw it out along with my DCI Legends promos and whatnot, so this is kind of my first crimp.  Oh boy.   8)

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:14 pm

Dry_cereal's obsession, mentioned on Ask Wizards:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mt ... zards/1003

Q: "Yesterday I went into my local gaming store and I bought a pack of Mirrodin. I was surprised to find out that the pack was already opened and my foil rare had ridges cut into it at the top! Is there any way I can get it replaced?"
--Peter Klinstiver, New Albany, Indiana, USA

A: From Elaine Chase, Research & Development:
"While our quality control system is very good, do to the sheer number of cards printed, the occasional mishap gets out to the public. In your instance, the rare card was not fully inside the pack when the crimper closed the booster, so it got the ridged treatment usually reserved for the edges of the pack. Your pack was open because the foil didn't get to fuse together due to the card getting in the way. This type of misprint is often referred to as 'pack crimped.'

"As with all misprints, you can send them in to customer service for a replacement, but you may not want to. While to most people the card is unplayable and therefore worthless, there are many people who actually go out of their way to collect such oddities. To the right person, it could be worth quite a bit, especially if its a particularly good rare."
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:19 am

hubba hubba, thanks for the info.  I've been busy, sorry for the late thanks.

Archivist
Librarities Legend

Post by Archivist » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:29 pm

What's generally considered the worst Magic card ever made?

Give up?  Sorrow's Path, right?

How could this card get any worse?

I guess maybe if it was CRIMPED!

dry-cereal, I have a Christmas present for you. IM me your address.
Boxes: @TCGPlayer | Singles: @CardShark | Trades: @PucaTrade

Midtown

Post by Midtown » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:24 pm

This may just be my amazing lack of intelligence but,......................Would it not be the eaisest thing in the world to make 'fake' crimpped cards. It seems as though the process would be more than simple to emulate with some home made device. Not that I want to put the idea into anyone head but surley fakes make it out quite alot.

(P.S. - dry_cereal I have an entirly crimmped set of Legends if you want it. Just give me a week or two to make it  ;D)
Mail me for prices on MTG original artwork.