value of Collector's Edition

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

value of Collector's Edition

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:24 am

Hello,
I am not truly new to this forum (no flames!). I was originally "tea man"... and was here back when the old forums and site were in use... but I quit Magic for about 8 months due to lack of financial stability... and now I am back :-)

Ok... on topic. I am looking for either standard Collector's Edition or International Collector's Edition cards. In particular, I am interested in either version's sealed box, or at least either complete set in mint/nm conditions.

Yes, I have looked around at retailers and eBay... and the prices are too much, upwards of $350-400(US).

Please let me know if you can offer me a more reasonable sale or trade for these cards.

Regards,
Dylan I.

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Re: Collector's Edition

Post by sylvanstu » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:54 am

Dylan, If you don't pick one of theese up at the 350 to 400 range in about 6 months that will be cheap the price of theese are rising rapidly. i just bout mine about this time last year for 200.00 and look what they go for now    :o
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:02 pm

yeps, i bought mine for 75 dollar(sealed)
when they where worth 400 dollar according to trollandtoad.
within a year they rose to 850 dollar according to trollandtoad.
so if you really want one, get one fast

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:58 am

I bought a sealed international collector's edition for $250 about 1 1/2 ago.  Since then I've seen the same dealer selling an open set for $400.

Need I say, get it now.  It won't get any cheaper.  Especially with how Alpha/Beta prices have been going up lately.
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:41 am

Ah.. thanks for the advice.

I am talking right now with a friend I have from Spain, some of you may know him as "Pirusk"? He posted on the old MTG Rarities Forums as well. Hopefully he can help me out.

Still... thanks much for the info. I will try to find one fast!

(yes, old alpha's and beta's are going up, recently I found an old non-labled box at my local cardstore on their shelves, and looked through it to find many alpha/beta/legends cards :-) I got a really good deal on them all... nothing very rare though. But I have noticed... all the cards from older sets are going way up in value. As well, the more "new" cards are decreasing... it is weird this way).

Take Care,
Dylan I.

Cizzio

Post by Cizzio » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:46 am

Ah.. thanks for the advice.

...(yes, old alpha's and beta's are going up, recently I found an old non-labled box at my local cardstore on their shelves, and looked through it to find many alpha/beta/legends cards :-) I got a really good deal on them all... nothing very rare though. But I have noticed... all the cards from older sets are going way up in value. As well, the more "new" cards are decreasing... it is weird this way).

Take Care,
Dylan I.
It can be because they are starting to destroy magic with scifi... like in mirrodin and the new card layout.. My guess is that many oldtimers dont wanna play any more now.

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:14 am

Your right us old timers hate type 2 now its ridiulous. I go to the prereleases get the new cards trade for old stuff plus i get my prerelease card for my rarities collection.  I'll have a couple extra's for the people here who can't make it.  I'll trade for some of the fnm magic cards i don't get if anyones interested lmk
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:47 am

It can be because they are starting to destroy magic with scifi... like in mirrodin and the new card layout.. My guess is that many oldtimers dont wanna play any more now.
i hope this helps
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=49189
(sealed)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=19115
(opened)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=19114
(partially sealed)

sonic-games seems to bes interested in them too.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:06 pm

This is NOt a complete set.
It only contains the following cards:

Icy Manipulator
Time Vault
Forcfield
Illusionary Mask
Howling Mine
Obaianous Golem
Rod of Ruin
Sol Ring
Soul Net
Sunglasses of Urza
Throne of Bone
Braingeyser
Mahamoti Djinn
Clone
Two headed Giant of Foriys
Rock Hydra
Armageddon
Wrath of God
Royal Assassin
Sengir Vampire
Lord of the Pit
Demonic Hordes
Mind Twist
Zombie Master
Hypnotic Specter
Zombie Master
Nightmare
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:24 pm

This is NOt a complete set.
It only contains the following cards:

Icy Manipulator
Time Vault
Forcfield
Illusionary Mask
Howling Mine
Obaianous Golem
Rod of Ruin
Sol Ring
Soul Net
Sunglasses of Urza
Throne of Bone
Braingeyser
Mahamoti Djinn
Clone
Two headed Giant of Foriys
Rock Hydra
Armageddon
Wrath of God
Royal Assassin
Sengir Vampire
Lord of the Pit
Demonic Hordes
Mind Twist
Zombie Master
Hypnotic Specter
Zombie Master
Nightmare
tnx for pointing that out, i really got to learn to read more carefully

American version of the Collector's Edition in mint/near-mint condition. Cards have been taken out and were stored in plastic sleeves in a book but never played with.
that really made me think it was complete  :-[

Tenacious_Dyl
Librarities Legend

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:45 am

Ahh.. Much Thanks Lord of Lord_of_Llanowar!

I have seen the last two auctions, but it is the first one you listed that makes me happy :-) It is so far cheap with the amount of time left...

However.. most likely it will rise way up at the end, and not-so-moneybaggs-me won't be able to afford it.

One day I need to go "searching"... every once and a while you can find much older cards like those selling for nothing, from little isolated stores.

Such examples I have found:

-A sealed Renaissance (german) booster display, I payed I believe 50 or 60 dollars (US) for it. It was in an old Warhammer Store.

-Ice Age Boosters for 2.99 at a bookstore (a few months ago)

-The Dark boosters for 1.89 at a different bookstore (I bought all 4 they had)

-Fallen Empires display for 59.99 (a nice price compared to other online sites, which want around 100!, but still, empires are worthless).

If only more "hole in the wall" shops existed... sigh ;-)

Best Regards,
Dylan I.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:48 am

I go to tons of mom & pop shops with that in mind...closest thing I ever saw to a bargain was 36 mm packs for 100 bucks...NJ is no virgin terrritory
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:51 pm

Ahh.. Much Thanks Lord of Lord_of_Llanowar!

I have seen the last two auctions, but it is the first one you listed that makes me happy :-) It is so far cheap with the amount of time left...

However.. most likely it will rise way up at the end, and not-so-moneybaggs-me won't be able to afford it.

One day I need to go "searching"... every once and a while you can find much older cards like those selling for nothing, from little isolated stores.

Such examples I have found:

-A sealed Renaissance (german) booster display, I payed I believe 50 or 60 dollars (US) for it. It was in an old Warhammer Store.

-Ice Age Boosters for 2.99 at a bookstore (a few months ago)

-The Dark boosters for 1.89 at a different bookstore (I bought all 4 they had)

-Fallen Empires display for 59.99 (a nice price compared to other online sites, which want around 100!, but still, empires are worthless).

If only more "hole in the wall" shops existed... sigh ;-)

Best Regards,
Dylan I.

I have also found extremely under-valued singles at hole in the wall shops.  Beta Swords to Plowshares for $2 and turned out around for an easy $20 in trade.  The same shop sold me an Unl Jet for $50.  The shop said M:TG was dead in their town and no one was buying anymore.  On the other hand I found some fools from St. Louis who gave me $30 in trade for a Portal Wrath of God just because it was a black-bordered Wrath.  I quickly went to another shop I knew of and picked up the 5 Portal Wraths they had for $6 each and quickly made $30 each off of the same guys.

My brother had the best of luck though.  In late 1995 he found Beta packs for $.50 each in an old bookstore in Evanston, IL.  After buying the half a booster box they had he cracked them open he pulled a Sapphire, a Lotus, and an Ancestral.

With the advent of eBay and online resource sites such as this one, it just is a little harder, but not impossible to still get those great finds. The problem is that you need to look high and low for things like this.  You never know when some hick town shop will have something of great value or some mom selling off their kids collection at some garage sale for cheap.  The problem is taking the time to go to places like that and looking.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:33 pm

I'd be happy with a shop that had NORMAL priced cards. Being so close to NYC everything around here is jacked up really high. I have to drive out of town to get reasonble prices on singes and old packs, or get them online, which i swhat I usually do.
Apathy House
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:33 pm

I have also found extremely under-valued singles at hole in the wall shops.  Beta Swords to Plowshares for $2 and turned out around for an easy $20 in trade.  The same shop sold me an Unl Jet for $50.  The shop said M:TG was dead in their town and no one was buying anymore.  On the other hand I found some fools from St. Louis who gave me $30 in trade for a Portal Wrath of God just because it was a black-bordered Wrath.  I quickly went to another shop I knew of and picked up the 5 Portal Wraths they had for $6 each and quickly made $30 each off of the same guys.

My brother had the best of luck though.  In late 1995 he found Beta packs for $.50 each in an old bookstore in Evanston, IL.  After buying the half a booster box they had he cracked them open he pulled a Sapphire, a Lotus, and an Ancestral.

With the advent of eBay and online resource sites such as this one, it just is a little harder, but not impossible to still get those great finds. The problem is that you need to look high and low for things like this.  You never know when some hick town shop will have something of great value or some mom selling off their kids collection at some garage sale for cheap.  The problem is taking the time to go to places like that and looking.

yeps, about a year / year and a half ago i bought a zodiac dragon for 5 euro :D:D

btw, I want beta boosters at 50 cent each to.
i will even be happy with 50 dollars each :D