Polar Kraken Original Art

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Polar Kraken Original Art

Post by TheJGit » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:10 am

So I've decided to attempt to purchase (long term goal, still need to save up a bit) Mark Tedin's original art for Polar Kraken. I've never bought an original MTG before and figured a few of you could share some insights.

I've managed to locate the owner (friend of a friend of a local shop owner) and it looks like he's willing to let it go for $5,000. Is this a reasonable price? I know Mark has pieces listed on his website for sale, but who knows when that was last updated.

Also, what should I look for/be careful of when purchasing a piece like this? Does Mark Tedin or Wizards offer COA's on stuff like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer, I know there's a wealth of experienced collectors here.

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:18 am

It had been unsold at 800$ forever on Mark's site. The piece is small and not much detailed, so that seems really high for me, but if you really like it...
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:29 pm

effai wrote:It had been unsold at 800$ forever on Mark's site. The piece is small and not much detailed, so that seems really high for me, but if you really like it...
Hence the query here. I don't know how large the piece is, and it's not exactly a highly sought out card or anything. In all honesty I was expecting somewhere in the $1600-$2500 range, but as far as I know the current owner isn't actively looking to sell. Which is probably why he threw out that number. Time to put on my negotiating pants...

tensaimaho

Post by tensaimaho » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:59 am

Howdy,

Registered to ask this: How did the negotiations go? I've dreamed of owning that piece for years, and I see now that it's been sold. Did you get it and how are you enjoying ownership, if so?

TheJGit

Post by TheJGit » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:42 pm

tensaimaho wrote:Howdy,

Registered to ask this: How did the negotiations go? I've dreamed of owning that piece for years, and I see now that it's been sold. Did you get it and how are you enjoying ownership, if so?
If you're going by Mr. Tedin's site, it was sold long before I was looking to aquire it. If you're reffering to a different sale, it's news to me (not that I'm all that knowledgable about recent/any MTG art sales).

Last I left off with was me saying something along the lines of "I think $5k is probably a lot higher than I'm looking to spend, but I'll keep in touch when I have funds saved up for some negotiations."

I'm a pretty impulsive buyer, so saving monies takes a while. Also, wife and I want to vacation soon. But I'll get that art eventually....long terms goals :-D

the dark fan

Post by the dark fan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:25 pm

It sold in 2014 for $800.

If you are wondering about the market value of the piece I would say $800-$1300

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:34 pm

Agreed, it just sold fairly recently after sitting for quite some time.

Agreed on the market value as well. It would fall somewhere in that range if it hit the open market.

The asking price is high, but if he doesn't want to sell, you are dealing with a 1 of 1 and he has all the leverage.

Good luck!