Missing colors (albino) Homelands cards

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

oze

Missing colors (albino) Homelands cards

Post by oze » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello everybody. It's my first post here.

I wanted to have pro opinions on my albino and half-albino backside Homelands commons. Finally cared enough to get good scans of them. Some say they are sun bleached and some say they aren't. How rare is this kind of misprint and what someone could/should pay for a one? I might want to part with one or two of these for a new good home.

I know they are for real because I personally opened the one missing magenta and yellow colors (with a few others like that too) and traded for the black and white albino one around the same time. This happened in the 1996-97 (no reason to fake these back then). I lost them long time ago and found them again last year when cleaning my storage.

Does anyone happen to have a high dpi scan of a sun bleached card for a comparison?

Enjoy:

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:11 am

Hi and Welcome Ossi

This old topic, should help a bit:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... .php?t=324

If you type Albino, in the Search function on top, there's a bunch of old threads about them.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

oze

Post by oze » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks for the thread. The others I found with search were about front side albinos. Seems that those are a bit more common than the back side albinos.

I know that one guy in Finland still has these same kind of misprints as I do. Might be the same guy in that old thread from 2004. I also got one stolen (with my collection) in 2003 at PT Chicago. It was an Ebony Rhino with missing all colors from the backside.

What I would like to know is there any market for this kind of misprint or do the collectors shy away from these kind of color errors because there is possibility of bleaching?
I am by no means collector of misprints. Just interested in them and seen many kind of weird things in my playing career... so when I re-found these I might as well try to find new home for a couple of them if some avid collector is missing it from his/her collection. But wouldn't want to do it for free because I know these are very rare misprints.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:00 pm

These are legit for sure. Would vouch for them, and am interested. The reason why more people are interested in albino fronts is simply that they look nicer when played and more distinctive. Let me know if you have prices, would welcome the chance to take some off you.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:50 pm

oze wrote:Thanks for the thread. The others I found with search were about front side albinos. Seems that those are a bit more common than the back side albinos.

I know that one guy in Finland still has these same kind of misprints as I do. Might be the same guy in that old thread from 2004. I also got one stolen (with my collection) in 2003 at PT Chicago. It was an Ebony Rhino with missing all colors from the backside.

What I would like to know is there any market for this kind of misprint or do the collectors shy away from these kind of color errors because there is possibility of bleaching?
I am by no means collector of misprints. Just interested in them and seen many kind of weird things in my playing career... so when I re-found these I might as well try to find new home for a couple of them if some avid collector is missing it from his/her collection. But wouldn't want to do it for free because I know these are very rare misprints.
Hi Ossi

Don't worry, serious Collectors of Misprints will triple check, if it's legit or not before buying, as there's some ways to make the difference between sun bleached and Albinos ones....
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Default User
Librarities Hero

Post by Default User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 am

Hello Ossi,

I'm propably the second Finnish guy mentioned in his post, but mine are pink and pale blue backed Homelands commons. :-O I opened them myself, so I know mine are legit. I got two packs with these when Hl came out. The strange colours only happened with commons and as I didn't have a clue about different sheets, it really got my imagination running.

The pink ones look really nice, but the scans don't show the reality that well. The blue ones on the other hand are shown in the original post and look better in scans than in person. This is one old very bad picture taken with an old camera.

The Giant Albatross is blue backed :-D

I still have five or six of these and I have sold two Memory Lapses (one pink and one blue) about 10 years back. Then the price was not comparable to todays market, but I recall getting about 35 finnish marks worth of cards for the two cards. That's about 5$.

For current prices I don't have a clue, but I would guess that even my blue backed Giant Albatross should get a few nice offers if I would want to sell it. (Altough mine are nm, never played, instead of SP.)

Hope this helps.

Tuomas
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 am

PM sent Tuomas :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

oze

Post by oze » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Hello, Tuomas!

Yes you are the second guy I'm speaking of.
Mine are never played either but you can see what almost 15 years of bad storaging does to the cards. Actually the one on the right has been used as a proxy. The frontside has black marker writing on it. :)

I've had offers from $2 to about $80 /each. But I'm in a no hurry to move these so I'm waiting for better offers. The only even remotely playable I have is Memory Lapse.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 am

oze wrote:Hello, Tuomas!

Yes you are the second guy I'm speaking of.
Mine are never played either but you can see what almost 15 years of bad storaging does to the cards. Actually the one on the right has been used as a proxy. The frontside has black marker writing on it. :)

I've had offers from $2 to about $80 /each. But I'm in a no hurry to move these so I'm waiting for better offers. The only even remotely playable I have is Memory Lapse.
I agree these are legit since I own several myself from sets from those periods (Homelands but also ENG REV for example), but IMHO I seriously doubt you can get better than $80 for non playable cards.

Totally Albino fronts, which are much rarer and desirable, typically go for $150-200...

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I'd beat 80 on albino backs as I don't have any right now. Oze, let me know if you have anything for sale, and we can work on price.

oze

Post by oze » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 pm

ouallada wrote:I'd beat 80 on albino backs as I don't have any right now. Oze, let me know if you have anything for sale, and we can work on price.
PM sent.