Multiverse Gift Box Set 1996 sealed

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Unbelievable!

Just received the boosters and each one of them has been opened! It wasn't just the box, each booster has had the bottom cut off with scissors. Often the flaps get bent over so I didn't look too closely.

Nowhere in the description does it mention this little fact.

They are going back, $14 postage wasted!
Before you send them back you may want to record what cards are in them. It is possible that this guy has substituted cards also. That would be a real point in crying foul (if there is any kind of list of what was included in the original pack).

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:

Nowhere in the description does it mention that these are glued onto the background... Condition: New, maybe, but glued onto cardboard, really that is something that should have been mentioned or am I just being too picky!
It is unfortunate the seller didn't warn you what you were getting or where they came from. These packs came from an international Duelist subscription. The packs were sent along with the copy of the magazine.
I had a subscription like this and opened all the packs as they arrived. Today I wish I had left the magazine sealed with the packs inside. That would have been a rarity as I have never seen one offered.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: Before you send them back you may want to record what cards are in them. It is possible that this guy has substituted cards also. That would be a real point in crying foul (if there is any kind of list of what was included in the original pack).

Gary
You are spot on the money Gary, I sent him an email and he assured me that they were 100% sealed when he sent them out and is trying to blame the postal service.

Hey Mark,I listed the boosters as sealed because they were 100% sealed at the time of the listing. If you received them opened then I will have to contact the postal service and put in a complaint because they must have been tampered with. Of course I know the value is effected if the boosters aren't sealed, and therefore would never have even sold them. Unfortunately I have no way to protect myself. If you want a full refund please send all the cards back. Once I receive the cards I will post your refund. I will check for every card including rarities. I hope you understand the position I'm in. Let me know what you would like to do.

Fortunately the photo he took of the auction shows the bottom of the packs is missing on each booster.

I will check the contents and see what we have inside...

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 am

I still love the box itself. One of the best deck boxes ever (tho cards can get caught on the end overlap). Just bought a collection in the store that came with the box in almost mint shape and I threw him extra money just for it!
He's just this guy, ya know?

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:17 am

mahdishain wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:

Nowhere in the description does it mention that these are glued onto the background... Condition: New, maybe, but glued onto cardboard, really that is something that should have been mentioned or am I just being too picky!
It is unfortunate the seller didn't warn you what you were getting or where they came from. These packs came from an international Duelist subscription. The packs were sent along with the copy of the magazine.
I had a subscription like this and opened all the packs as they arrived. Today I wish I had left the magazine sealed with the packs inside. That would have been a rarity as I have never seen one offered.
Thanks for that info, it is really helpful!

We got the Duelist in the UK and even back then I was interested in overseas boosters but I never got the chance to sign up for the subscription, no credit card.

This could explain why there are so many foreign boosters around with glue on the backs, all being sold from the USA!

I have tried isopropyl alcohol to no effect, I will look for some other solvents.

Thanks again!

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:33 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Unbelievable!

Just received the boosters and each one of them has been opened! It wasn't just the box, each booster has had the bottom cut off with scissors. Often the flaps get bent over so I didn't look too closely.

Nowhere in the description does it mention this little fact.

They are going back, $14 postage wasted!
Before you send them back you may want to record what cards are in them. It is possible that this guy has substituted cards also. That would be a real point in crying foul (if there is any kind of list of what was included in the original pack).

Gary
Does anyone have a list for the Visions boosters? Magiclibrarities mentions 30 but only lists the unique ones, http://www.magiclibrarities.net/145-rar ... index.html and the Crystal Keep mentions and lists 25 http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/products/visions.php

I am only really interested in knowing if "Taste of Paradise" is on the list as that is the only one not on either lists.

Cheers
Mark

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Thanks for that info, it is really helpful!

We got the Duelist in the UK and even back then I was interested in overseas boosters but I never got the chance to sign up for the subscription, no credit card.

This could explain why there are so many foreign boosters around with glue on the backs, all being sold from the USA!

I have tried isopropyl alcohol to no effect, I will look for some other solvents.

Thanks again!
Mark; If I am understanding this thread correctly--please correct me if I am not, these were originally mailed out glued to the pasteboard. If that is correct then, IMHO, you should leave the glue on the backs. To distinguish them from regular run-of-the-mill boosters.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Even leave them on the board. That sounds like a legitimate collectible to me, although it sounds like you already separated it before knowing what it was.

Were you able to find any difference in the packaging of the Multiverse boosters?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:21 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: Does anyone have a list for the Visions boosters? Magiclibrarities mentions 30 but only lists the unique ones, http://www.magiclibrarities.net/145-rar ... index.html and the Crystal Keep mentions and lists 25 http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/products/visions.php

I am only really interested in knowing if "Taste of Paradise" is on the list as that is the only one not on either lists.

Cheers
Mark
This should help: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... multiverse

By Taste of Paradise, do you mean Undiscovered Paradise? Because Taste of Paradise is from Alliances, not Visions.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:14 am

mystical_tutor wrote: Mark; If I am understanding this thread correctly--please correct me if I am not, these were originally mailed out glued to the pasteboard. If that is correct then, IMHO, you should leave the glue on the backs. To distinguish them from regular run-of-the-mill boosters.
No, two different auctions, I just won at the same time and both suffered from descriptions which missed out key information.

The Multiverse boosters were all opened by cutting off the bottom flaps, but apparently this happened without the seller knowing anything about it, even though they are obviously like that in the Auction photo.

The others were the subscription boosters of which I have recieved a few in the past without knowing where they came from and I have tried to remove the glue in the past. The seller told me that the "glue" comes right off. So I checked and the glue (Without quotation marks because it is definitely glue) does not just come off. We are working out a discount for that and I will be getting some stronger solvent. I got the boosters for a good price but I wouldn't have placed a bid if I had known.

I will check out the contents of the Visions boosters again, I just laid them out on the scanner to scan them and take the names down , I didn't look closely at them because they were all back in the day before colour coding the rareties so I have no idea if there rares are there, but I will go through them properly.

Thanks for all the info and links.
Mark

Edit: I will probably leave the glue on the backs but only because there is no way of removing it easily and I don't want to damage the packs unecessarily. I will probably note they were part of the subscription program and I will mention that any boosters with glue on the back probably came from this program.

So far I have scanned front and back of a couple of hundred boosters to put together in a guide so all info like this will find a home!

Cheers

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 am

berkumps wrote: By Taste of Paradise, do you mean Undiscovered Paradise? Because Taste of Paradise is from Alliances, not Visions.
Nope! 'Taste of Paradise' it is, and not a rare Visions version either, most definitely the Alliances version!

Very sorry to have derailed this thread by the way, however I would be interested in picking up a multiverse and I am not so keen on eBay for some reason...