P3K set in English

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

P3K set in English

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:47 pm

That same friend has a complete "pack fresh" set of P3K in English.

Prices on "you know where" do not include English sets. Online traders list it for 3K to 3.75K

Is that a realistic price? Even with the hot cards it doesn't look like it would come to that much.

Thanks for comments.

Gary

Default User
Librarities Hero

P3K-set price

Post by Default User » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:20 am

Hello Gary,

I've been following the prices a lot and the traditional chinese set sold for only 1.6k$ and change, meaning around 1.5k after fees. I also understood that the buyer has already started selling the cards as singles, with the total price coming to almost 2.8k$, if they can get their buy-it now prices. (The seller might be somebody else breaking a full TC-set, but the timeline fits a bit too neatly.)

I would expect the english truly mint set to be worth the 3k$ as singles for a good seller, but some cards will be hard to sell and naturally the price will drop, if the seller has low feedback.

I would guess that getting the 3.3k for the set would be slow going, but 3k might be doable. Hopefully the members here, who have been looking for full sets will come out and correct me if I'm completely off here.

With kind regards,

--Tuomas
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi,
I bought a lot of complet common & unco set (without Imperial Recruter) with few crap rare to Hayden.
I bought almost all rares piece by piece, I now get a complet set for much less that 3K !
For my part around 2.5k is a good price.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks much. I have noticed a marked difference in actual sold for prices between English and non-English.

So a starting price of 2.5K with a BIN of 3K should do justice to the seller and provide hope that it would sell?

You can probably tell I am not much of an "you know who" seller. I usually don't really care if what I put up sells or not but in this case I don't want to disappoint my friend.

Gary

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 am

There was an English set auctioned recently. It may have dropped off the completed listings by now though. Bid price was $2600 from a seller with good feedback but a fairly hostile shipping policy. I would expect $3000 to be reasonable for an auction that ended late in the evening on a Saturday (European time) and had an accomodating shipping policy for non-US bidders. I think $2500 is too high a starting bid though. I'm quite confident that you'll get more than that at auction, but generally you get more bidders with a lower starting bid.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:33 pm

I guess our initial plan would be considered to have a rather hostile shipping policy for non US bidders as we are strongly considering US only. I'm not sure what he will decide but if he were to consider opening it up to the international market what advice would give him?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

gzeiger wrote:There was an English set auctioned recently. It may have dropped off the completed listings by now though. Bid price was $2600 from a seller with good feedback but a fairly hostile shipping policy. I would expect $3000 to be reasonable for an auction that ended late in the evening on a Saturday (European time) and had an accomodating shipping policy for non-US bidders. I think $2500 is too high a starting bid though. I'm quite confident that you'll get more than that at auction, but generally you get more bidders with a lower starting bid.

Kalle
Librarities Legend

Post by Kalle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:29 pm

When I buy high value items from the US, I'm always happy to have them shipped by FedEx or UPS. Their delivery system is fast and accurate.
A huge bonus is always the possibility to declare a low value for the customs. Keep in mind that usually customs ask for 20-25% of the declared value and the there is no "real" value for trading cards, since it's actually what you want them to be valued.
Kalle, Il
Italian collector, player and judge

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Trouble is though if somehow something gets damaged, then what? I declare "gift" and usually a $10 value on anything I send overseas but rue the day when something goes wrong because what will the buyer do?
Buyers always have the expectation that they will be saved the tariff fees but if something happens they can nail the seller. It's a gamble for the seller.
This is the trouble shipping beyond the U.S. borders-

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02 pm

I have yet to have a package damaged by FedEx fingers crossed. I'm not talking $1k-$2k pieces here I'm talking $10k+ items I've sent. FedEx you shouldn't have any issues with. FedEx won't let you insure a card for anything over $100 going out of the country anyway so it really wouldn't matter.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 am

FedEx won't let you insure a card for anything over $100 going out of the country anyway so it really wouldn't matter.
But then what happens if buyer receives the item and claims it's damaged or something? Do you tell Paypal or whoever "FedEx didn't allow me to insure it for actual value" and they go "Oh, don't worry about it then..."
Asides FedEx's sterling reputation what protects you if something goes wrong?

If I ship $$$ item to Europe and claim it's worth substantially less/ a gift (to protect buyer from tariff) then I'm screwed if something goes wrong or buyer turns on me. I think this is why some sellers have a U.S. only policy.

No International buyer has ever asked me to declare actual value of an item EVER. If you did most buyers would be perturbed. This is common knowledge. Sellers can get screwed doing this though. It's a gamble.
Hostile shipping policies have some logic behind them imo.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 am

Check the country!

Australians can receive up to $1000 (Australian) without paying customs duty but after that it is expensive, for magic cards it is 5% duty, 10% Goods and Service Tax on the total cost and the Postage and $50 handling fees.

Also, it is one thing to value your cards at $1000 but next to impossible to get a postal service to value it at that. they won't cover it so there is no point declaring it at that value.

If I was going to do it regularly I would look into private insurance rather than relying on the Postal Service. The insurance company would probably want the full value declared, proof of value and a particular postal service used but they may insure it for the full amount.

For bulk purchases it might be easier to split the packages into smaller lots, more postage but below the threshold for duty.

Obviously cutting a $2000 card in half to get around the duty is not going to work.

gzeiger
Librarities Legend

Post by gzeiger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 am

I guess I just don't consider the risk to be that high. You're talking about a risk of loss that's in the low single digits, compared to likely several hundred dollars in bid price. A P3K set is a larger sale than any I've done internationally, but I've lost literally two pieces of mail in eleven years of trading online with probably a thousand transactions, and one of the losses was in the US. This conversation may make sense if you financially can't take the loss, but realistically you probably shouldn't have ever had that money tied up in Magic cards if you genuinely require insurance to that extent.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 am

In years past I heard many tails of woe about international shipping. It seems, however, that international carriers such as FedEx have raised the bar with some kind of arrangements with customs or whoever to insure that their packages get through.

Has anyone lost a package with FedEx?

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 am

gzeiger wrote:This conversation may make sense if you financially can't take the loss, but realistically you probably shouldn't have ever had that money tied up in Magic cards if you genuinely require insurance to that extent.
If you are buying and selling high value magic cards to supplement your living then any loss that isn't covered is going to damage your bottom line.

You will most likely lose the cards and have to refund the money.

The same can be said of any investment, if you are in it to make money you need to minimise the risks as much as possible. You would have to do a lot of selling in order to recoup the losses incured if your P3K set went missing in the post. That is a lot of unecessary work.

Most of us could probably afford to buy the set several times over but would still not be happy to wear the cost of the mail services incompetence.

I have not had much go missing in the post, however due to eBays policies a lot of sellers no longer ship outside of the USA so I have not had occassion to buy much from the US recently.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:In years past I heard many tails of woe about international shipping. It seems, however, that international carriers such as FedEx have raised the bar with some kind of arrangements with customs or whoever to insure that their packages get through.

Has anyone lost a package with FedEx?

Gary
I sent a bunch of silk and cotton Tommy Bahama shirts to my girlfriends brother in South America through FedEx and paid over $200 to get them there with insurance.
The silk shirts were over $100 a piece, while the cotton shirts were like $30 each.
When they hit customs they always open the boxes to check the them, i guess for drugs and contraband.
So when he got his box the cotton shirts were there but all the silk shirts were gone.
I guess either a customs worker is walking around with a silk Tommy Bahama shirt on right now or a FedEx worker is... ](*,) ](*,) >:-(
I have to say that FedEx did contact me after i called them and they gave me a check for the full insurance price for the shirts.
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!