Uncut Beta/CE Proof Sheet Set

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:09 am

>:-(

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Larry didn't own Lich, he had Demonic Consulatation, which I passed on?

Were you the card restorer guy? I think you had a summer nevinyrral's disk at worlds...

Later EddieO

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:45 am

Hrm. I remember that he had Consult, but I remember him being in possession of the Lich artwork too.. perhaps he was selling it for a friend or something. Ask him about it - I'm almost positive he was connected to that one too.
Anyway, yes, I was the guy you remember. From 96-99 I was a (the only?) professional card restorer. I did it at tournaments on the East Coast and even one in Canada and at conventions like Origins and GenCon, sometimes actually purchasing a table to do it, and increasing demand for played cards everywhere I went. At the time, I was only aware of the player market, which was very interested in making cards potentially more tournament legal. In my time restoring cards I did several hundred Power 9 cards - it's almost impossible that someone on this forum hasn't owned or at least seen one of those cards. I offered a satisfaction guarantee and kept a stock of plenty of power cards, so that I could replace any card I didn't make better than it was before I restored it. I didn't track how many of which item except for Beta Black Lotus, kept track of those. I restored 33 of those for pay, just over 1% of them. I have seen many cards I restored for sale on eBay over the years. It wasn't bad work.. it averaged out to about $40 an hour, but since I wasn't a huge store, I couldn't really do it on a mail order basis, so it kept me busy at tournaments and conventions when I should have been trading or buying collections.

Coincidentally, it was the guy who later bought that Summer Disk and the Summer Wrath -[probably also a member of this forum, but I have no idea which member - if any of you are him, you know who you are and who I am, drop me a PM or an email]- I also had at that event who made me aware of card grading and the premium-condition collector market - 20X magnification, etc. I stopped doing restoration soon thereafter, and basically dropped off the face of the Magic planet in mid-2000.

I recall Larry saying he had two Hurricanes for sale, and I really really wanted him to give me the opportunity to counter the highest offer, but he never got back to me- did you buy the other two before the show?

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:18 am

I bought one at worlds from him for $300.....

His boyfriend Kevin started kinda a bidding war between you, me and another guy....

Larry called me and told me the one guy offered $1500 for the other 3 and you offered $1750 for the 3......He told me if I matched the $1750, they were mine....I did and picked them up later that day.

Larry and I had been friends for years, so the only way you were gonna get them was if you made an offer I couldn't match. I had a big pockets collector backing me, so you would of basically had to overpay to get them.

I sold one to the collector for $750......Troll and Toad bought the other 3 for $1300 cash and $300 store credit each. At the time, they topped out at $2000 at most, if you had connections to ask that price. Alan from Troll and Told told me they sold one For $1900......they then sat on the other two for a couple years and ended up getting more. I was happy with what I got for them all.

I still have the picture of me holding all four....Larry actually had 6 at one point, but the other two were in the hands of collectors who didn't need to sell.

If Larry was selling the Lich art, it was someone elses and he didn't have it in his possession. I've been to house a few times, he had consult and some other ice age art, but that's it. So he may of just been helping out a friend. I bought his collection out a few months later after worlds, he had a crazy stuff.....over 3000 beta basic lands alone...

The bummer is, I lost contact with Larry years back.....I have not seen him in a good 8 years. I tried finding him on facebook and myspace, but he never seems to really use them, though he has accounts on both.

1998 Worlds was wild too.....I remember shipping my guy over 50 Bazaars of Baghdad, that I charged him $10 each on......they were all NM pretty much, cept a few Nm- ones.....I shipped a good 40 Mishra's Workshop for too, at like $17 EA......all NM. He freaked out on me, saying he never would sell them. I talked to him a few years ago, he totally forgot that he had them and they were still in the same box from 1998....I told him he should send me a playset of each for the HOOKUP from hell! $400 to $10,000....$680 to $8000....thats better than google stock!

So, I take it the price just went up on those Erhnam sketches, cause I ninjaed those hurricanes!.....I do know what Ken sold em for now though!:)

Later EddieO

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:04 pm

I had one Hurricane at the time, which I held on to until early 2000 and sold for 3700 in Japan. As for the ninjaing.. I promised myself I wouldn't cry!