Groovy Cards

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Groovy Cards

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:26 pm

A little flaw that makes me wonder how it happened.

They match up and my guess is that the whole row had the same problem. I know it is a bad card picture but I had a heck of a time showing the groove.

Any ideas how it might have happened?

Not my cards but the owner is interested in selling them (at least the tomb). If anyone is interested contact me and I'll put you in touch.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:44 pm

We had a totally weird booster pack at the Release today.

All cards ( commons uncommons, rare, rule tip and land) were somehow glued together at the top. It looked like there some glue used to close the booster, which got in contact with the cards while cloing it.
The whole top border of all cards got damaged while seperating them.

Beoulve

Post by Beoulve » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:11 am

I have a Lake of the Dead with the same error, only the line runs vertically.

I would also like to know more about these kinds of errors.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 pm

I can speculate but without any real knowledge of the facts.

Anyone got a clue?
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

I've wondered about this for a while too. It obviously something that happens during the printing process, after printing is done, so probably during the cutting stage, but without more information about the machines themselves it's hard to speculate.

Beoulve

Post by Beoulve » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 pm

These cards are groovy, for sure, but is there any demand? How would you guys value them?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:48 pm

As a collector I wouldn't pay $.50 extra for them. After seeing some of the deals that have happened with some things (the metal time vault for example), I'd never buy one just for concern that someone would start making them.

Gary
Gary Adkison

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

that's, for sure, a misprint ... but the value is around -20% for me ... looks like Played/poor now. Even if it's a factory misprint.

Beoulve

Post by Beoulve » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:10 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:As a collector I wouldn't pay $.50 extra for them. After seeing some of the deals that have happened with some things (the metal time vault for example), I'd never buy one just for concern that someone would start making them.

Gary
I read about that in the other thread. Shows that proper research is crucial for any high dollar deal. I'm very hesitant about extremely faded and/or pale cards because of cases where cards have been bleached in the sun and whatnot.

Beoulve

Post by Beoulve » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 pm

yvel wrote:that's, for sure, a misprint ... but the value is around -20% for me ... looks like Played/poor now. Even if it's a factory misprint.
I was thinking about trading it away, but if this is the case, I'd much rather hold on to it. It's a fun little thing to have in my collection.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Well, in my own opinion, I will be sad so open a card like this in a booster.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Beoulve wrote:
yvel wrote:that's, for sure, a misprint ... but the value is around -20% for me ... looks like Played/poor now. Even if it's a factory misprint.
I was thinking about trading it away, but if this is the case, I'd much rather hold on to it. It's a fun little thing to have in my collection.
That is where I am at. If I opened it or knew who did it would be neat to have in my collection just for general inteest. Right along with crimps, miscuts, ink errors, and all the others that should have been captured and recycled.

yvel, I don't understand. If you opened a booster with 4 corner miscut you would be posting it on mail brag. What is the difference?
Gary Adkison

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:51 pm

The difference ?
well that's easy, I rather a corner miscut than a card looks like bend.

:wink:

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:25 am

yvel wrote:The difference ?
well that's easy, I rather a corner miscut than a card looks like bend.

:wink:
Well, we each have our preferences and I respect yours but to me one mechanical mistake at the printers is the same as another. Bend them, cut them, crimp them--a mistake is a mistake. All equal.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Gary,

your pictures reminded me of an Unlimited Tucker Plateau wich I have. The card is absolutly mint - except for a 'nick/notch/groove' on the back, looking quite simillar to yours (just thinner).

I tried to get nice pictures of it - but because of the grading case it's not so easy. the 'nick/notch/groove' runs through the lower parts of the "M" and the "The Gathering" writing across the whole card.

The grader(s) didn't like this misprint/mistake to much as you can see in the subgrades. :)

Let me know if this one is of any interest for you.

Greetings