Groovy Cards

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:30 pm

I remember seeing many cards from the Unlimited edition in my area that bore the exact same crease in the exact same place as that Plateau back in the 90's.
- magicmisprints

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:59 pm

magicmisprints wrote:I remember seeing many cards from the Unlimited edition in my area that bore the exact same crease in the exact same place as that Plateau back in the 90's.
think there is an explanation around here somewhere about what it was as well. I've seen a fair number of cards have that line across the back. Its so common that I'd value a card with it and without it about the same, although I'd prefer without of course.

98ViperGTS

Post by 98ViperGTS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:39 pm

Sorry for 2 posts
Last edited by 98ViperGTS on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

98ViperGTS

Post by 98ViperGTS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm

I was under the impression that a lot of unlimited cards had that indent, and I've heard it called a "Mill line", not sure the reason. I believe it had something to do with the rollers that moved the sheets. Had an unlimited time walk with 2 distinct mill lines.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm sure not an expert on this but I think this is a different problem. I have seen several of the UL and have a couple. I was "told" the line was caused because that sheet was on the bottom of the pile and it was against something like a slat edge on a pallet. With the weight of the whole pile of sheets on it the pressure caused a crease.

The "groovy" cards seem to be caused by something more round--as has been suggested maybe some roller or such that rested on top of the stack as the sheets were being fed into a cutter or some such.

All speculation of course but I do think two different processes.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Beoulve

Post by Beoulve » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I'm sure not an expert on this but I think this is a different problem. I have seen several of the UL and have a couple. I was "told" the line was caused because that sheet was on the bottom of the pile and it was against something like a slat edge on a pallet. With the weight of the whole pile of sheets on it the pressure caused a crease.

The "groovy" cards seem to be caused by something more round--as has been suggested maybe some roller or such that rested on top of the stack as the sheets were being fed into a cutter or some such.

All speculation of course but I do think two different processes.

Gary
I agree with you, because on my card, and I suspect on those you posted as well, you can see the intendation or whatever I shall call it on both sides of the card.

On the back of my card the intendation is more round, but there's a more clear line on the front. (Also on my card, the line runs vertically)

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I posted about 2-3 years ago that I had 3 cards from Rise of the Eldrazi that had lines pressed into them. one of them was a Gideon Jura. I guess the press lines are more common than I thought, as I've seen more crimped cards than cards with press lines in/on them.

Clay