How do I tell sealed alpha boosters from beta ones?

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Worth
Librarities Legend

How do I tell sealed alpha boosters from beta ones?

Post by Worth » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:26 am

I know how to tell starters apart (UPC), but is there a way to tell boosters apart? I seem to recall there is but I can't remember atm.

I just got a HUGE collection in to sell, there are all sorts of old sealed products in it. :)

I will post some scans of the nice stuff here when I get to it, I'm still sorting. Something like 16 mana drains, 20ish moxen, a full set of alpha/beta (mixed, nm+, with one of the nicest beta lotuses I've ever seen), full mint set of UL, arabians, AQ, Legends, Dark, etc.

There is basically at least 4 of every playable rare post UL. Sick, sick collection.

Also has fraternal and a splendid, with the announcement.

I'll be back to post pics of the goodies when I can :)

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Collection

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:26 am

omg, who's the owner of this collection??
Chris

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:33 pm

There is no different between Alpha and Beta booster wrappers, but can't you tell by handling the pack and feeling the corners?

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 pm

any artist proofs in the lot?

Worth
Librarities Legend

Re: Collection

Post by Worth » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:28 pm

equi-nox76 wrote:omg, who's the owner of this collection??
Chris
Nobody you guys would know.

No AP's.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:01 am

l0qii wrote:There is no different between Alpha and Beta booster wrappers, but can't you tell by handling the pack and feeling the corners?
I have asked my son Peter, Richard Garfield, Skaff Elias, Luc Mertens and Rachael Hemstad this same question. None of them know of any way, other than the one suggested here, of telling the difference. Based on that I am rather sure there is no difference.

This is only logical, however, in that these cards are all from the "same" print run and are all "First Edition". There would be no logical reason to change the bar code with the stopping of the press. The addition of the bar code on the bottom of the 'beta' starter decks was simply a correction of an oversight.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.