Ultimate List One - Official Tokens and Tip cards

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

LOL, yes it is the same in the whole block. I did the list off the top of my head and just forgot that one.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 am

Well, for what it is worth here is my complete tip/token file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h45dg ... d_Mast.xls

Please let me know of combos you have found that are not on here.

The RTR block is hard because of the number of cards with the same comblo that are duplicated in all three expansions. There are several combos that probably exist that are not recorded here because I could not personally verify that they were in a given expansion.

Sorry for the crummy looking charts. Mediafire has evidently "improved" thier program with the result that colors/cell sizes and borders seem to rearange themselves. I'm going to try and find a better place to store and retrieve my files.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Well, I really got behind on this but thanks to inspiration from Alien_Starfighter_Pilot (Clay) here is an update.

Clay has provided one of the only to date complete sheets, assuming 121 combos would be a complete 11x11 sheet and only one sheet template was used in the set of Born of the gods.

Combos marked with C are one Clay found that I do not have.

Thanks big time for your time and data Clay.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/xt824ojeg ... _BotG.xlsx

Clay has also been poking me to use a more universal language friendly way of listing the card names. Tokens are no problem as they are numbered. Both I and Mister Foilcard had different approaches to how we identified sides and it makes it really hard to compare data when spreadsheet rows/columns are in different places.

What I will do is use the highlighted key words and the the name of the art for the tip side. For the advertisements I will use the subject, title and if helpful the website (i.e. facebook.com). Standard advertisers (IDW, Ultra Pro) will just be the company name/logo. That should help a bit and should be enough to identify the card in English. Comparing pictures should work for an unfamilliar language.
Gary Adkison

anselan
Librarities Member

Post by anselan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:59 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Well, I really got behind on this but thanks to inspiration from Alien_Starfighter_Pilot (Clay) here is an update.

Clay has provided one of the only to date complete sheets, assuming 121 combos would be a complete 11x11 sheet and only one sheet template was used in the set of Born of the gods.
Earlier sheets may still be complete, even if the number is less than 121. There could easily be duplicates of some front/back pairs.

Really we are total masochists not to get the T&T print runs when we open boxes. That would totally nail the duplication question, and indicate exactly what the set comprises. I will do this for the first time with Conspiracy, and I would urge others to do the same.

I basically agree with the BNG table, although I am missing 7. I think it's just I don't have a large enough sample.

For THS, I have more concerns. What's going on with the "?" items? I am missing all but one of the 7 of these (have Soldier // Step into Myth).
Also missing:
Boar // Ignite the Conversation
Golem // Judge & DotP
*but*
also have:
Golem // MtGHerosPath which you don't show.
The Magic 2014 expansion card doesn't have Judge & DotP stuff.
Three row totals are incorrect: (Harpy, Elspeth, monstrous)
mystical_tutor wrote:What I will do is use the highlighted key words and the the name of the art for the tip side. For the advertisements I will use the subject, title and if helpful the website (i.e. facebook.com). Standard advertisers (IDW, Ultra Pro) will just be the company name/logo. That should help a bit and should be enough to identify the card in English. Comparing pictures should work for an unfamilliar language.
This doesn't indicate whether the backs are different for different sets. And with JOU I am afraid we are back to the Bad Old Days of potential overlaps.
- second W Soldier & Satyr are common fronts between THS & JOU, while Ultra Pro is a common back.
- Gold and U Bird are common fronts between BNG & JOU, while MagicEBooks & Ultra Pro are common backs.
I do have U Bird MagicEBooks & UltraPro, although I am reasonably sure they come from JOU not BNG This really points to the "importance" of nailing the early set mixes of a block before they can be polluted by later sets.

Love to all fellow enthusiasts.
Andrew.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Combos marked with C are one Clay found that I do not have.

Thanks big time for your time and data Clay.
No worries Gary. and now that you've finally let me know what (English) t/t cards you are missing, I can send them and the other stuff I promised to send you.
mystical_tutor wrote:Clay has also been poking me to use a more universal language friendly way of listing the card names. Tokens are no problem as they are numbered. Both I and Mister Foilcard had different approaches to how we identified sides and it makes it really hard to compare data when spreadsheet rows/columns are in different places.

What I will do is use the highlighted key words and the the name of the art for the tip side. For the advertisements I will use the subject, title and if helpful the website (i.e. facebook.com). Standard advertisers (IDW, Ultra Pro) will just be the company name/logo. That should help a bit and should be enough to identify the card in English. Comparing pictures should work for an unfamilliar language.
My method for organizing the t/t cards slightly differs from Gary's. I'm the one that has the rows/columns flipped, which I'm sure is causing Gary to go blind. If my plan comes to fruition, one of these days I'll be able to "help" him with his commander deck so that he always draws lands. :-\'

As Gary said, the tokens are easy to catalog, where we differentiate slightly is the adverts and the tip cards. I do try to do the bold text, but I also include the website and the image (card art, box art, photo, etc).

The spreadsheet version I have is saved here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0

Andrew, if you don't mind, please look over the Theros tab and let me know what English T/T cards are missing. PM me what you find. Also, if you collect T/T cards, PM me what you are missing that I have identified and an address to send them to. I can always send you my global collection want list or you can paypal me to cover shipping.

Yes, I was upset when I saw that there was some overlap on the advert images between BOTG & JIN. however, I have been very meticulous when I open boxes and packs to be sure I do not mix T/T from the two sets.

Clay

anselan
Librarities Member

Post by anselan » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Clay,

Yes I will look at your spreadsheet, but you need to give me access. Thanks for the offer of duplicates. I have a load of duplicate tokens, but haven't generally retained duplicate tips. The English language sets I get are the US ones, so not the same as what appears in Britain. Also I have a lot of Chinese tokens, because of where I live.

I would like to reiterate the key point in my post:
Really we are total masochists not to get the T&T print runs when we open boxes. That would totally nail the duplication question, and indicate exactly what the set comprises. I will do this for the first time with Conspiracy, and I would urge others to do the same.
Thanks,
Andrew.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:36 am

Ooops, fixed so that anyone can view.

I usually have the new set's spreadsheet up within 2 weeks of the set's release.

ClaudeARDILLER
Librarities Hero

Foreign tip cards.

Post by ClaudeARDILLER » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 am

I don't know if it will be usefull, but I compiled Foreign Tip cards I got that you don't have, in a copy of your file here:

http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/10264500/file.html

The Tip cards I got are marked in red.

Friendly yours,
Claude.

PS: Too much trouble to identify the un-numbered/newer tip cards unfortunately..
Help me progress on the Global Foil Vanilla Creature Collection here:
https://globalfoilvanillacollection.000webhostapp.com/
If you have any card I'm looking for, let me know!

anselan
Librarities Member

Theros spreadsheet

Post by anselan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Following Clay's invitation, I have checked his Theros worksheet.

It's very naughty that this tiny group has evolved two different formats. Ideally, one owner should transpose theirs (a functional supported in Excel by Paste Special). I will leave it to you two to resolve between you.

Overall, I prefer Clay's format slightly because the ads have a little more complexity, and should be afforded a row. But there are some other changes I want to make. I have redone Clay's Theros worksheet as I would prefer, and publish it as soon as I've figured out how to get into Google.

I have taken the liberty to move to Excel 2010, to avoid some versioning bugs. See http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-ques ... nment.html

I think the subject should be generic. E.g. "Next Set" instead of "Born of the Gods", "Pro Tour" instead of "Pro Tour Theros". The specificity can be then in the Card Art column. I think that the Website/Hashtag column adds nothing, since multiple cards can have the same website, so should be removed.

The Card Art should always be filled in, if only to say "Theros Fat Packs" or "Theros Intro Packs". Subject+Card Art should then give us a unique key for the image.

I have sorted the rows alphabetically, except any odd cards should be at the end. Also I have sorted the columns alphabetically based on the card name found in the art - it seemed the easiest canonical ordering to use.

Critically, there should be another row/column ("Repeat") indicating other sets in the block that share this image. One way to do this would be to code the 1st, 2nd & 3rd sets in the block with prime numbers 2,3 & 5. If an image in Theros is repeated in Journey to Nyx for example, the Theros Repeat cell would contain 5.

Then there is an easy conditional formatting function for each cell in the main array, which checks whether the greatest common denominator for the row-repeat and the column-repeat is > 1. If it is, then the cell is tinted orange to indicate that there is the danger of a possible combo duplicate with another set.

Nits:
(1) I have a card labeled "Magic 2014 Expansion" on both sides, one side saying "7" the other side saying "RP". It shows Elspeth. I thought this was Theros but am I wrong?
(2) What is this 20th Anniversary // Black Lotus?
(3) I have sorted my Trad Chinese cards (106 so far) including the Golem // Judge program card. But I don't have the Judge in English at all.
(4) My English list otherwise agrees with Clay's (except i am missing Boar // Facebook).

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Re: Theros spreadsheet

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:58 pm

anselan wrote:I think the subject should be generic. E.g. "Next Set" instead of "Born of the Gods", "Pro Tour" instead of "Pro Tour Theros". The specificity can be then in the Card Art column.
I do not agree. That removes the flavor of the next set. Also, in Journey Into Nyx there are advertisements for 2 new sets, Conspiracy and Magic 2015. By not identifying the new (aka next) set, we invite possible confusion.
anselan wrote:I think that the Website/Hashtag column adds nothing, since multiple cards can have the same website, so should be removed.
I do not agree. The websites are included because not everyone knows the art of every card. The websites/hashtags for the adverts do not change between languages (that I can tell so far).
anselan wrote:The Card Art should always be filled in, if only to say "Theros Fat Packs" or "Theros Intro Packs". Subject+Card Art should then give us a unique key for the image.
That makes sense, I am working on an update to my source document that has "<set> Fat Pack" & "<set> Intro Pack". I have also changed the column title to "Card Art/Image".
anselan wrote:Critically, there should be another row/column ("Repeat") indicating other sets in the block that share this image. One way to do this would be to code the 1st, 2nd & 3rd sets in the block with prime numbers 2,3 & 5. If an image in Theros is repeated in Journey to Nyx for example, the Theros Repeat cell would contain 5.
I think this is a bit more complicated than necessary, as somewhere it would have to be explained.

I think that for the people that are really interested in the information we are collecting, they can figure out what is going on with the following:
- For the Journey Into Nyx tokens that were repeated from earlier sets in the block, I put the full card number in the column ("N/N"). Or the expansion symbol can be put in the number row or in the row with the token's name. I think the expansion symbol would look better and be less confusing, but a little bit trickier to implement in a web-based spreadsheet.
- For art from other sets, the set the art originally comes from can be put in brackets. this change can be easily and quickly made.
anselan wrote:Then there is an easy conditional formatting function for each cell in the main array, which checks whether the greatest common denominator for the row-repeat and the column-repeat is > 1. If it is, then the cell is tinted orange to indicate that there is the danger of a possible combo duplicate with another set.
Again, complicated, and probably better resolved with my above idea(s).
anselan wrote:Nits:
(1) I have a card labeled "Magic 2014 Expansion" on both sides, one side saying "7" the other side saying "RP". It shows Elspeth. I thought this was Theros but am I wrong?
(2) What is this 20th Anniversary // Black Lotus?
(3) I have sorted my Trad Chinese cards (106 so far) including the Golem // Judge program card. But I don't have the Judge in English at all.
(4) My English list otherwise agrees with Clay's (except i am missing Boar // Facebook).
(1) this card is from M14. pretty frequent. probably takes up like 5-10 spots on the tip/token sheet.
(2) http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9418
(3) Received. Thanks for the inputs.
(4) I have 6 of that particular combination. Let me know if you want one.

Clay

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot

Re: Foreign tip cards.

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 pm

ClaudeARDILLER wrote:I don't know if it will be usefull, but I compiled Foreign Tip cards I got that you don't have, in a copy of your file here:

Friendly yours,
Claude.

PS: Too much trouble to identify the un-numbered/newer tip cards unfortunately..
Claude, what set(s) did you update? And you can always provide info for all the new sets from now on if you want ;)

Clay

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Re: Theros spreadsheet

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:
anselan wrote:I think the subject should be generic. E.g. "Next Set" instead of "Born of the Gods", "Pro Tour" instead of "Pro Tour Theros". The specificity can be then in the Card Art column.
I do not agree. That removes the flavor of the next set. Also, in Journey Into Nyx there are advertisements for 2 new sets, Conspiracy and Magic 2015. By not identifying the new (aka next) set, we invite possible confusion.
anselan wrote:I think that the Website/Hashtag column adds nothing, since multiple cards can have the same website, so should be removed.
I do not agree. The websites are included because not everyone knows the art of every card. The websites/hashtags for the adverts do not change between languages (that I can tell so far).

Clay

I didn't collect a lot of Magic after Unglued came out (to busy with work, etc.), so my card collecting experience has been pretty devoid of tips and tokens. As such, I'm really inexperienced with the tips and tokens (initially when you guys said t/t, I thought maybe you were talking about Troll & Toad), and I think that my point of view may be beneficial to your discussion about how to identify these cards.

I haven't purchased packs of cards in some years as I only collect the pre-Modern sets and my collection is large enough that I find it more economical to just purchase singles for the cards I want to play with. Over the past couple years however, I've won numerous packs of cards at events. I have no interest in collecting the tips/tokens, but I'm also not the type to throw away Magic related items, so these tips and tokens have been accumulating into a small pile. I've been wanting to put them into a binder for safe keeping, thinking that someone would want them someday, but wasn't sure how to organize them. I am dreadfully unfamiliar with the artwork on the new cards, and am unable to identify what card any given tip/token artwork may be from, or if it's even from a card at all. I feel that newer players in the future will have similar problems identifying the names of artwork on tip cards from sets that came out before they started playing. I suppose we could look up every possible artwork if your chart provides the names, but that would be rather tedious and some people simply would not do it. I think that it's important for your finished product be usable even by people that are unfamiliar with the tip/token cards as this will help each of you to find the cards your missing (and receive the correct item you were looking for from a stranger). Together you're creating the standard that tips/tokens will be identified by, and laying the groundwork for making tip/token collecting go mainstream (which in turn will cause increased demand and thus value for your older tips/tokens which most people threw away).

I applaud your efforts to organize all of this information in a meaningful way. Having the specific advertised set names on your chart was EXTREMELY helpful in identifying which expansion my tip cards came from. My tip cards are now organized chronologically in a binder.

THANK YOU!

Tav

P.S. I still have some foreign tip cards that I received as packing material when purchasing stuff for my global sets. I haven't tried to identify them yet. I have some Russian, and possibly some Spanish I think. If anyone is interested in those or my English ones (including electronic promotional ones), let me know. As I said, I don't intend to collect tips/tokens.

ClaudeARDILLER
Librarities Hero

Re: Foreign tip cards.

Post by ClaudeARDILLER » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:32 am

Claude, what set(s) did you update?
I updated the following Sets:
10th
Shadowmoor
Eventide
Shards
Conflux
Alara Reborn
M10
Zendikar
Worldwake
Eldrazi
M11
Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Besieged
New Phyrexia
(open the file to see the specifics, et to re-format it your way)
And you can always provide info for all the new sets from now on if you want ;)
I don't buy boosters anymore myself, but sometimes my friends give the tip cards they don't care about, and I sometimes receive foreign ones while purchasing on MKM.
So everytime I'll receive any, i'll check your file and post the update here.

Claude.
Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:
ClaudeARDILLER wrote:I don't know if it will be usefull, but I compiled Foreign Tip cards I got that you don't have, in a copy of your file here:

Friendly yours,
Claude.

Claude, what set(s) did you update? And you can always provide info for all the new sets from now on if you want ;)

Clay
Help me progress on the Global Foil Vanilla Creature Collection here:
https://globalfoilvanillacollection.000webhostapp.com/
If you have any card I'm looking for, let me know!

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Sorry for posting this here, but this might be the place where the right people will see it.

Are there several versions ( with same misprint Side) for this token from japanese Scars Of Mirrodin Block ( probably Mirrodin Besieged)
It has "Artist Name" printed instead of the real artist name "Efrem Palacios" . I need to know this for my misprint collection....

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 pm

I found a english Myr / Poison Token Combo, so this one probably should exist in japanese as well ?
The Poison Token should be from Scars Of Mirrodin, since the Mirrodin Besieged Tokens have a different Layout.

Edit:

Found a japanese Poison Token with "artist name" as well, so i guess only these 2 variations exist.