Invasion and Odyssey Block Mini Cards

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Invasion and Odyssey Block Mini Cards

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 am

Hi Members

Do anyone ever heard about those? This is a copy Past of the talk I have with someone:

The one thing I haven't seen posted yet that I'd love to see more of are the tiny magic cards from Odyssey block and Invasion Block, who has some to show off!?

What you mean by the tiny cards from Odyssey block and Invasion Block ?

They are very rare, I've only seen one in person, but I've heard a lot about them. The story I've heard was they were made specifically for a company party. I heard there were complete decks that existed, From Wild Mongrels, to Fire/Ice to Shadowmage Infiltrator and Flametongue Kavus.

They are (very rough estimate) about 1 inch x 2 inch.

And ironically enough, they feature the same back as Alternate 4th edition cards.

You got me curious, I do remember someone talking about them to me, but it was real long time ago, as I wanted to add the info on Magiclibrarities, but since I never get scans or news, I thought it was some blahblah from that guy. So from your info, a company commisionate some tiny cards to WOTC, and they made special sheets for that Unique occasion, where was it printed Carta Mundi or in The US. I will try to gather info, as it's the second time, they are mentioned to me....I will post in Inquiries on my forum.

Everything listed is all the information I have.
Last edited by dragsamou on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Alexis; Might be good to just send that to WotC customer service and ask them.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:39 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Alexis; Might be good to just send that to WotC customer service and ask them.

Gary
Hi Gary

I have the answer about those, but can't post it for now till, I get the approval from my "deep throat" :wink: PS: WOTC NOT REALLY the people to contact on that case héhé
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:42 pm

dragsamou wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:Alexis; Might be good to just send that to WotC customer service and ask them.

Gary
Hi Gary

I have the answer about those, but can't post it for now till, I get the approval from my "deep throat" :wink: PS: WOTC NOT REALLY the people to contact on that case héhé
I dropped Peter a post but I know he is working on a film and may not get to it for awhile.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Info added now from my talk:

There were a number (3-4) decks of 60 of the best decks in type 2 at the time, invasion to odyssey, printed about 1/10-1/15 the normal size of cards. These were most likely due to administration exploits and or testing of production materials. They consisted of a thin printing ink on a smaller form of card stock, and were very vulnerable. I have only seen them in the WA State area.

Hi, was it printed in the US or Carta Mundi or Third Party, was it an Unofficial WOTC Product? Those were printed for which reason? A Special Company Party? Which one? Any scans available?

Hello brotha, printed in US, most likely here in WA state. They were very unofficial, as in prolly illegal in most copyright cases. However, since I dunno the exact legalities of their existence they could have very well been no more than ink type tests on smaller quantities of card stock. My understanding on the matter stems from an ex type-setting who worked for wizards, printing these of his own volition, which somehow managed to make their way slowly into our local market.
Type-setter* pardon me

Ok, so definately Unofficial, they should not have been out if it was for testing purpose, what's the relation with that Company Party, that WOTC employee print those as a gift? Do you know how many different cards exist? I wish, I could add those on my website, with the other Unofficial cards, but scans will be necessary...

I don't quite remember if it was 3 or 4 decks of 60, psychatog. U/g madness, g/r madness and maybe 2 other decks were made, so 180-240 total. I would assume they were made as gifts, but I only met 1 source who had direct access and she wouldn't really drop any names for our science's sake :| I'm sure we can procure at least 1 image within the oddities forum though

More to come :wink:

A good size ratio for these: They are roughly the size of your thumbnail in total volume.

:-O
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:31 am

I ran across the old thread while looking up something, and thought I would add some info here. I think Alexis has already seen this info, but it may interest others...

Tav

"Behold "MINI MAGIC CARDS"
Here is the story from the owner/anon:
MINI MAGIC CARDS: THE HISTORY
As best as I can remember this since it was 12 years ago……
Okay, back in the summer of 2002. A WOTC employee that also judged on the pro tour and lots of local events had the idea that mini MTG cards would be such an awesome thing. So Judge Anon got with a friend of his that did the typesetting for the MTG sets and asked for his help in making up 2 decks to help pitch the idea at an upcoming meeting.
So typesetter Anon made up the sheets for each deck at the corporate office in Renton, WA. There was 2 decks a U/B Tog deck with Shadowmage Infiltrator and a R/B/G deck called Angry Dog. He made 4 sheets total, 2 for each deck.
So Judge Anon chops up 2 of the sheets and makes the decks and goes and presents the idea. It was well received, but too many other projects were going on at the time, so the idea got shelved. So the cards and the 2 sheets were split up between the judge and the typesetter. The judge kept the angry dog sheet left over and the typesetter got the tog sheet.
The tog sheet was also cut up and a lot of the cards the typesetter had was given to his girlfriend at the time. These cards were traded away over time to my understanding. The cards the judge kept it’s unknown what he did with them if he still has the deck or not.
The last uncut sheet left was of an angry dog deck. One day judge Anon was talking to a local TO/Judge who he worked with a lot at events about the mini card concept. He wound up giving the uncut angry dog sheet to this Anon who said that it was an awesome idea and he would frame it.
To my knowledge no other sheets or decks were made. Though it is possible I suppose. As far as the ones that were chopped up for decks I don’t know if anyone has a complete deck, maybe the judge Anon still has his but the other two were scattered out.
But that is how the idea came about and those were the first and probably only decks made for the mini cards.
Enjoy…
Anon"

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:37 am

cataclysm80 wrote:I ran across the old thread while looking up something, and thought I would add some info here. I think Alexis has already seen this info, but it may interest others...
Hi Tav

dragsamou
Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 11:41
Hi Members

Let's celebrate Christmas with the preview of a New subsection:

Mini MTG Cards. To be added on the website by my webmaster with others next year.

INDEX
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/883-rar ... index.html

IMAGES
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/883-rar ... mages.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Do you think the filler from this sheet should be in the filler section?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:14 pm

berkumps wrote:Do you think the filler from this sheet should be in the filler section?
Hi Mark

No, I don't think so.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.