Actors MTG Promos from 2008 ?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Actors MTG Promos from 2008 ?

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:52 am

Hi Members

Any more input and info on those?

As a reminder:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=8405
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:53 pm

I consider these more of a novelty than actually a promo or any such thing. Kind of a special interest card more like the "what if" cards of Inquest and Scrye, etc.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:36 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:I consider these more of a novelty than actually a promo or any such thing. Kind of a special interest card more like the "what if" cards of Inquest and Scrye, etc.

Gary
Hi Gary

So if ever I get info, in the Fantasy Cards Section ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:20 pm

How are we defining "promo"? If a promotional card counts, these were sent to the people on the cards for the sake of promoting the game to influential people within the target demographic, and should absolutely be promos.

For what it's worth, I don't think "promo" is the right way to class these, but "novelty" attaches an unfair level of unimportance. Most cards on the libraries would be novelties if that were the case.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Reading again what Worth wrotes about them, it seems to me that those cards and the Robot Chicken belongs to the same section: Gifts Cards
Subsection to be created: Special Guest Gifts Cards
I don't think Promos is appropriate. IMHO
Let's see what Members think about it.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:39 pm

dragsamou wrote:I don't think Promos is appropriate.
Neither do I.

I feel promo cards should be reserved for cards everyone can be the first or initial recipient of; well, in principle, conditional upon one's willingness to play in a certain event or to travel.

Not everyone, however, can be the first or initial recipient of a gift card, since you have to be store owner, or a judge, or an invited guest, ...

Not a hard and fast distinction here, but makes intuitive sense I think.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:11 pm

I know Alexis wants a one word answer. An impossibility for me.

Promo is really a hard word to nail down and in a way I can agree with ouallada. Almost anything printed outside a regular expansion and even the foils in an expansion can be called "Promo".

The key is what "kind" of promo. Some examples:

Gift Promos: Judge, Holiday, Artist Proofs, Given to a special group, to promote what they have done for the game/business, usually free and given equally to all with no requirement to win, buy or beg.

Marketing promos: Buy-a-box, APAC/EURO lands, MPS, media inserts, Electronic game redemption, book redemption, foils in boosters, Foils in Intro decks. No additional cost buy something-get something free. Promotes sales.

Competition Promos: FNM, Prerelease, Game Day, States, Pro Tour, ad infinitum ad naseaum. Attend an event and win an event.

Buy something cool promo (this may just be classed as a "product" too) Premium deck series, FTV, Commanders Arsnel, We make something that is really cool or has cool stuff we hope you will pay for.

Contract promos for 3d party events or whatever: SDCC, GenCon, Origins, (maybe MPS and IDW should go here??). A third party wants to promote itself and knows Magic stuff is cool, have it made special and hook the masses.

the one I have not figured out is the foil Helvault. Because it was not announced it didn't have any draw power and it pissed off far more people than it pleased.

If anyone is still awake and still reading:

The cards in question, IMO, come most closely to the Gift Promo. Some things can be put in more than one place as WotC may look at it quite differently. Guru cards, even Gateway can slide from one catagory to another.

There you go Alexis---got you back for that Rebel comment.... LOL.

Gary

BillBo wrote:
Neither do I.

I feel promo cards should be reserved for cards everyone can be the first or initial recipient of; well, in principle, conditional upon one's willingness to play in a certain event or to travel.

Not everyone, however, can be the first or initial recipient of a gift card, since you have to be store owner, or a judge, or an invited guest, ...

Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:12 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: If anyone is still awake and still reading
Pipe down Gary

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:32 am

mystical_tutor wrote:I know Alexis wants a one word answer. An impossibility for me.

Promo is really a hard word to nail down and in a way I can agree with ouallada. Almost anything printed outside a regular expansion and even the foils in an expansion can be called "Promo".

The key is what "kind" of promo. Some examples:

Gift Promos: Judge, Holiday, Artist Proofs, Given to a special group, to promote what they have done for the game/business, usually free and given equally to all with no requirement to win, buy or beg.

Marketing promos: Buy-a-box, APAC/EURO lands, MPS, media inserts, Electronic game redemption, book redemption, foils in boosters, Foils in Intro decks. No additional cost buy something-get something free. Promotes sales.

Competition Promos: FNM, Prerelease, Game Day, States, Pro Tour, ad infinitum ad naseaum. Attend an event and win an event.

Buy something cool promo (this may just be classed as a "product" too) Premium deck series, FTV, Commanders Arsnel, We make something that is really cool or has cool stuff we hope you will pay for.

Contract promos for 3d party events or whatever: SDCC, GenCon, Origins, (maybe MPS and IDW should go here??). A third party wants to promote itself and knows Magic stuff is cool, have it made special and hook the masses.

the one I have not figured out is the foil Helvault. Because it was not announced it didn't have any draw power and it pissed off far more people than it pleased.

If anyone is still awake and still reading:

The cards in question, IMO, come most closely to the Gift Promo. Some things can be put in more than one place as WotC may look at it quite differently. Guru cards, even Gateway can slide from one catagory to another.

There you go Alexis---got you back for that Rebel comment.... LOL.

Gary

BillBo wrote:
Neither do I.

Hi Gary

Your post was like a lullaby when I went to bed last night and I Zzzzzzz without answering, I have my coffee now, so much better. Reading it again, I think , I go back to bed :-D Very interesting point btw, I always appreciate your input Gary :wink:
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:12 am

Agreed with "gift promos". Sounds like the best categorisation thus far.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:21 am

ouallada wrote:Agreed with "gift promos". Sounds like the best categorisation thus far.
So far, looks like they belong to the Gift Cards Section, now for the Subsection name, Special Guest Gifts Cards ? Will need good scans , still waiting for more input before I create a New Subsection.

Blood wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote: If anyone is still awake and still reading
Pipe down Gary
That was indeed a great input on that thread Jason :-D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Members

This a preview of the Special Guest Gift Card subsection to be added in the next update from my webmaster. I need to add more info, create the Special Mythic Logo for the Robot Chicken, etc...In between, let me know, your thoughts about it. Thanks.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/798-rar ... index.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/798-rar ... mages.html

Could it be that the Actors Cards were Given at San Diego Comic-Con 2010 instead of 2008?
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/c ... -congoers/
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 pm

You're probably right. They were created 5 years ago, in 2008, but were not sent to comic-con the same year. 2010 makes sense.

If any other scans of test prints are needed, lmk. I pretty much have all the various test prints (well not every one, but at least one of each type).

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:50 pm

ouallada wrote:You're probably right. They were created 5 years ago, in 2008, but were not sent to comic-con the same year. 2010 makes sense.

If any other scans of test prints are needed, lmk. I pretty much have all the various test prints (well not every one, but at least one of each type).
Hi

By doing some research, 2010 was indeed more logical, even if the Copyright says 2008. Did you have a look at what I've done so far in that subsection, if some more info should be added, different text in the index, etc....I focus on those for the moment, then, I will go through the Test Prints subsection.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Will look through it and get back. Not feeling well at the moment :)