New Year's resolutions for your collection?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

New Year's resolutions for your collection?

Post by markers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 pm

I am curious.

Any of you have specific goals in 2013 for your collections?

I do have the following:

- Get 2 or 3 more signed sets done (Morningtide, Unlimited, Stronghold are good contenders but still have some tricky content)
- Find some unique gems to improve the collection

and most importantly
- Reduce the monthly Magic expenses...It's too much at the moment and with the wedding coming up this year I need to reduce the speed...

What about you?
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Help other collectors reach their goals as I focus on completing my global collections.

I know, cop-out answer, right? well, my goal is to collect. and I enjoy helping others. so, my goal is happily simple. it's the execution that'll be difficult. :)

Clay

johnstown713
Legendary Boy Of 713

Post by johnstown713 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Finish Beta Artist Proof Set. Pick up a Splendid and Fraternal. I like to set my goals low... ](*,)

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm

My goals are mostly related to displaying and storing my collection. I'd like to get perfect fits and binders for holding my complete sets and sets in progress. Considering that I'm starting from zero and I need to get up to about 15,000 cards in binders I'm not sure how realistic that is. I also think that it's time to get some insurance on my collection.

I don't know if I'm going to make much progress on my collecting goals because I'm having too much fun playing Legacy, so most of my energy and money currently is spent on getting cards for decks.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:53 pm

I want to have 300 artists represented in my signed card collection. My current count is 257.

manaman22
Librarities Member

Post by manaman22 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:16 pm

I know how you feel, Markers. My wife suggested that I back off on my Magic spending during the lead up to our wedding. It's the price we pay I guess.... It was also a prime motivator in the consolidation and liquidation of my tons of excess cardboard. One helped the other, at least for me.

My goal for 2012 was 40 duals/40 fetches. I missed it by a Taiga and a Bayou. I have enough credit to buy them, I just need my store to get them back in stock, so I don't feel so bad about it.

As for 2013, I want to make some serious progress on my global sets. Wild Pair, Whispers of the Muse, and Mishra's Factory shouldn't be super terrible, but it's the Summer Vesuvan Doppelganger and Beta Artist Proof Doppelganger I fear the most. Beyond that, I need to get my art framed and displayed, instead of in the closet doing nothing.

It may not be really ambitious, but it's a start. Hopefully 2013 will be good to me and all of you!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Well, I have the same goals I had in 2012:

1) To keep up with new English language cards printed by WotC. I failed in 2012 by the foil promos in the Helvault. I think I got everything else.

2) Learn more about using my web site and expand my presentation there. The site software keeps changing (being improved by the developers).

3) Reduce the amount of "extra" stuff I have including my packaged stuff.

Baring something ridiculous like the Helvault I may be able to do all three.

Gary
Last edited by mystical_tutor on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

psrex wrote:My goals are mostly related to displaying and storing my collection. I'd like to get perfect fits and binders for holding my complete sets and sets in progress. Considering that I'm starting from zero and I need to get up to about 15,000 cards in binders I'm not sure how realistic that is. I also think that it's time to get some insurance on my collection.

I don't know if I'm going to make much progress on my collecting goals because I'm having too much fun playing Legacy, so most of my energy and money currently is spent on getting cards for decks.
Playing should always come first..... The wheel turns only once.

If I may make a suggestion about the binders and stuff. Alien_Starfighter_Pilot picked up several packets of the Japanese binder pages that have the top flap over the cards. The migration of my promo collection to those pages has been slow because they are a little more time consuming then the open top ones but they are more than worth it. Where you are starting "from scratch" I would highly recommend it.

If you find a good way to clamp or hold the first pages to prevent "bindr gouge" use it. Someone posted a source here for plastic cover pages. I can not find it now but swear, every time I get a binder out, that I am going to order some. The "clamping" binders they have in Europe (with 4 hole pages) look perfect, a bit more than I can invest to convert what I have but might be well worth it as you start out and need to buy binders anyway.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm

easy resolutions:

1. To complete 90% of what is missing, or that needs to be upgraded, in my English language sets for the first 10 years of Magic (excluding Summer).

2. To organize and prune my MTG-related promo and accessory collection to something more manageable and organized.

3. To sell all my excess cards and items to fund #1.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 am

Moar Alpha!
#2 All Time Finest PSA Alpha Set, GPA of 9.64, now retired and re-graded via Beckett. BGS GPA 9.40 after shipping off several pieces to JM!

Current Alpha Rare count = 1500+!

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 am

Right now, I'm still at 29 Beta/Alpha Duals. I'd like to get up to 36 by next Christmas, all on my minimum wage job.
-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Mine isn't so much of a resolution, but the goal has always been to expand the variety of misprints that I own.

As for my other collections, I want 125 different pairs of Chuck Taylors (112 now), and baseball HOF autos- I want the only major player I am missing: Lou Gehrig.

And oh yea, I want to be able to afford to eat too. Wish me luck.

Default User
Librarities Hero

Resolutions

Post by Default User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 pm

My first resolution is to try to finish some parts of my collections.

I'll want to get up to 1 % of all the foil oversized Helvault foils (4 each out of max 320). I'm already there on few of them, so I just need to pick few more up. I'm also hoping to get 9 of each foiled double-sided cards (Angel/Demon tokens are already taken care of).

I also hope to get the newer MPS lands, so my promo-basic land collection would be up to date. I'm missing all of the 2011 lands and a few of the 2010 ones.

I'm also hoping to finally find the last four traditional chinese cards for a full global set of P3K. (Imperial Recruiter, Zodiac Dragon, Capture of Jinxchou and Xiahou Dun).

The last collection I would like to finish is my Lightning Bolt global set with japanese white bordered Bolt and Summer Bolt missing.

I also hope that I can keep selling my extra cards to fund my resolutions, (Seems a recurring theme. Hopefully there will be enough buyers there.) as we found a nice patch of forest nearby our summer cabin that would a nice inheritance for kids someday... The bad part is it's 28 hectars of prime woodland with two lake shores and some building rights, so it's priced accordingly. So goodbye 'free' spending money for a while. (If two growing kids hasn't already curbed me yet.)

On another resolution, I will not splurge on pimping new Commander-decks. I will be happy just to play with the versions of cards I already own and not buy extra foils or extra promos just to keep my collection and decks filled.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Re: Resolutions

Post by thulnanth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Default User wrote:On another resolution, I will not splurge on pimping new Commander-decks. I will be happy just to play with the versions of cards I already own and not buy extra foils or extra promos just to keep my collection and decks filled.
Oh, the money I could save if only I was able to do this too :-P

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Default User
Librarities Hero

update

Post by Default User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm

A short update on resolutions.

I just sold a pile of extra dual lands and suddenly I'm couple of postal days away from having 4 of each foil oversized Helvault promos (1,25 % of all the foils). And I should have an extra Griselbrand and possibly Avacyn, that I will make availlable when I get the cards from my ever loving post office.

Two years back I couldn't sell Volcanic Islands at almost any price and now they extras sell very nicely at double the price. Gotta love the changes in legacy metagame.

Now I'll have to start thinking on the binder that would hold them. (And make an Commander deck for each, if I ever find the time...)
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.