Worthwhile to grade APs?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Worthwhile to grade APs?

Post by magicmisprints » Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 am

I was looking at APs on a large auction site last night and noticed that some were graded. I hadn't been aware that grading companies would do white-backs - I'm not sure they do Magic signatures at all, and most proofs are signed. Have any of you had APs graded? Do you think it's worth doing?

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat May 29, 2010 6:40 am

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Sun May 30, 2010 12:12 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun May 30, 2010 12:55 am

Hi
I will share my point of view, as an Artist Proof Collector.I just went on Ebay to have a look at what you was talking about. WAOW :-O when I saw the prices requested for PSA 10 Artist Proof. If people are willing to buy them at that price, I might reconsider my "Non Coffins" for cards policy. Unfortunately, I think that few AP, will make it to 10, as Artist Proofs doesn't come from sealed booster, they can have been heavily manipulated, some of them were just sitting in boxes for ages, a lot of times when the artist sign them with markers, there's a good chance, that the ink will split on the AP or another one, etc... You should have seen the face of Dan Frazier, when I requested him that he signed them on the back, it was the first time ever, someone asked him that. While I bought 90% of my AP directly from artists, or well known AP sellers, the amount of Mint ones that I own is low, and even if I collect NM+/Mint cards , products or AP, when it comes to AP, that are so extremely hard to find, I never hesitate even to buy one in Excellent condition, as I know that I may never find it again. On my part, I do not own any Graded cards or AP, except 2 for samples of Graded cards. Is it worth doing it, well some Collectors are into Graded Cards so why not AP, knowing that owning a complete AP set is almost a near impossible task, some Artists don't sell them, others doesn't receive them, and older AP were Limited to 50 cards.
This makes them among the rarest collectible cards ever. As a Collector, I believe collecting a complete Artist Proof set is like the Quest of the Graal, but it can be possible, if you are willing to spend years and money to acheive your goal.I add a link about Artist Proofs:
http://www.firstturninc.com/proofs-FAQ.html
Last edited by dragsamou on Sun May 30, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sun May 30, 2010 10:59 am

As a Collector, I believe collecting a complete Artist Proof set is like the Quest of the Graal
I tried to get a complete set of original art for one set. Came close... Now it's impossible of course with the digital artworks :-\
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
I've noticed a tendency for people on some other sites to go with your sometimes moronic points of view :wink:

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sun May 30, 2010 9:47 pm

random wrote:
I've noticed a tendency for people on some other sites to go with your points of view
And on this site too, apparently, captain.