Question about different Mirage printings

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:25 pm

I knew there was a reason for hoarding so many cards from these sets. Now if I can just find the time to search them.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Tempest AA

Post by equi-nox76 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:56 am

I'll post a scan of 2 different cards from Tempest as soon as I have tidied up all the cards, just bought a new cupboard to have more space, so it'll take a week or something. Please ask again when I didn't post it till then.
Chris

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Dark Light Tempest

Post by equi-nox76 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 pm

So finally I had time to scan it :wink:
Chris

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 am

So now we must find out if there are 2 different Tempest prints.

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Sat May 17, 2008 3:07 am

Only one tempest that I am aware of...

The US mirage was the worst thing ever.....pretty much all the first loads of mirage on the west coast were the US stuff......the cards were terrible....they felt different and they picked up dirt way fast.....the cards were EASY to tell from normal mirage or any other set, so it was not uncommon to see people always using mirage lands in all decks......

I think I have a ton of original US mirage.....I can look if anyone has a specific need.....

Later EddieO

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sat May 17, 2008 3:46 am

On the east coast where I was, only the US Mirage existed for a long time. When I finally saw the other Mirage I felt they were inferior because they were "lighter"

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Sat May 17, 2008 4:53 am

Yea people used to cheat using the Mirage cards... remember, most used no sleeves back then, or the clear penny sleeves.

EddieO
Librarities Hero

Post by EddieO » Sat May 17, 2008 7:26 am

If inferior means feeling like every other magic card in exsistence, along with not picking up every piece of dirt or oil from your hand, then so be it....the US Mirage cards were terrible.....especially without sleeves....

And yes, cheating was rampant......it pretty much came to be, that if you DIDN'T cheat, you were abnormal....

Later EddieO

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 am

I like it very much when grandpas tell us about the old times :-)

That's what makes Magic so exciting for someone like me who's "quite" new to it (2 years in August).

Now, going back to Tempest, it will be quite "nice' to try and buy US boxes and Belgian boxes considering the prices of them...

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sat May 17, 2008 4:04 pm

EddieO wrote:If inferior means feeling like every other magic card in exsistence, along with not picking up every piece of dirt or oil from your hand, then so be it....the US Mirage cards were terrible.....especially without sleeves....

And yes, cheating was rampant......it pretty much came to be, that if you DIDN'T cheat, you were abnormal....

Later EddieO
Well it's not like Mirage was the only "marked" set at the time. Beta was always darker than revised, Ice Age had glossy cards, FE had poorly cut corners, etc.

The reason I felt they were inferior is because they reminded me of the AQ cards with the relaly light lamination job, where you'd pull the cards right out of the pack and they'd look dusty. Those used to annoy me.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sat May 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Printing processes have evolved a lot since the beginning of Magic.

The Duelist was telling how the first sets were produced. It looked like they were made in a kitchen.

Can someone here tell us WHEN MTG cards were printed with no major printing problems ?

When it comes to printing you can always control the quality, but this always has a cost (and you must choose whether you are paying for that, we could answer NO for WOTC). Besides, someone must be in charge of the printing quality (that is one of the things I've been doing for years).

Time is also an important factor. When you announce the release of a set, if you have printing problems, you must decide whether you must destroy everything and do it all again, or just give the cards out to the customers without any consideration for the quality.

Most of us here are collectors, and we are gazing at our dear cards.

But WOTC thinks Magic cards are for players. So once they are heavily played, who cares if they are shiny, glossy, dark, light, miscut in the corners...

Once again, this shows WOTC doesn't care much for the collectors. They only like us when they need cash and release this scandalous box of dragons. Once again, thanks Volcanon for your post.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon May 19, 2008 9:07 pm

It was quite easy to tell the first, oh, 7-8 sets from each other using only the back. AQ was particularly easy. FE wasn't quite as easy for me, except that none of the FE cards were ever worn because if they did get a bit scuffed, all the good ones were commons and could be easily replaced..;-)
He's just this guy, ya know?

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 pm

I can verify an alt tempest, tempest pre release in Columbia, MO had cards that you could split in half. Creating a huge problem at the prerelease, also the texture on these cards was very off. I wish I had kept some more of it, because it was cool to have cards that split down the middle and you could see a perfect split down the middle.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 am

A split ? I don't get it here. Can you please explain ?

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 am

magic-belgium wrote:A split ? I don't get it here. Can you please explain ?
They split straight down the middle (front and back pieces). I believe the event was run by feral events. I'm sure the judges will remember this as it was quite the oddity.