Question about Ikoria Printruns

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

SvenskaMagic
Librarities Member

Question about Ikoria Printruns

Post by SvenskaMagic » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm

I had a customer asking about the Ikoria print runs and if there where any external way of seeing what run they where.
This is because of the Death Corona card that was present with that name only in the first print run.
From what i have heard for the US market the first print run is printed in Japan while consecutive printings are made in the US so thats one way.

But for us Europeans where all printings of regular sealed product are printed in Belgium is there any way that you guys know of to differentiate the printings ?

Thanks in advance

SvenskaMagic

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Re: Question about Ikoria Printruns

Post by l0qii » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Are you talking about English boxes only?

For Japanese language, my draft booster boxes were printed in the Japan, and my collector's booster boxes were printed in the US. Both are "first run" and contained Death Coronas.

SvenskaMagic
Librarities Member

Post by SvenskaMagic » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm

We're talking English boxes.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 am

The concept of the first print run occurring in Japan is misleading.
Every print facility has a first print run which serves their geographical region. This is done because of shipping and warehousing expense.
Ikoria specifically was an exception to normal because of the pandemic. It's not true that first print runs are always from Japan.

The issue of card quality is completely seperate. Each print facility has slightly different card quality, and that true regardless of whether it's the first print run, second print run, etc.

SvenskaMagic
Librarities Member

Post by SvenskaMagic » Thu May 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, i was guessing it was something like that but its nice to have it confirmed.

SvM