New Bling Bling Promos

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

New Bling Bling Promos

Post by dragsamou » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi Members

Masterpiece Series..And a new subsection to create soon. 30 cards to add for Kaladesh

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-09-12

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-09-12

Some examples:

ImageImage

ImageImage
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Re: New Bling Bling Promos

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:12 am

I suppose it keeps it interesting.

I stopped collecting sets of Magic when they brought out the foils because it basically doubled the number of cards in a set and more than doubled the cost and difficulty in collecting.

It felt like the 'chase' cards were just there to take more of my money.

Then I heard about the mythic rares and figured they were just there to take even more money off players and collectors.

And of course you have foil mythic rares.

But apparently they weren't rare enough so now you have even rarer chase cards.

The thing about rarity is that with the internet nothing is really that rare, just expensive.

I used to love opening packs to see if I could get a cool card to add to one of my decks, or at the very least get a card that I could trade for something I needed. But then it became easier to just buy the cool card instead of 'wasting' money on boosters.

Now I figure people just open boosters in the hopes of getting a foil rare card that they can sell.

Occasionally I open a booster and read the cards but I have no idea how to play the game anymore, it is completely different to how I used to play it. If I ever get the urge to start opening my boosters I just crack a pack of German Homelands and it takes the urge away.

I might actually get back into it because it has that same feel about it that it used to have, I don't have many current cards, I have no idea what cards are available, no idea which ones are the best to get, only a rough understanding of the rules...it is 1994 all over again.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:15 am

Hi Members

As I need to create a New Rarity for those cards, what I should name them ?
Masterpiece Series
Mythic
Special
Or else
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:38 am

Masterpiece seems find for me.

I'm now too conisdering stopping the collection, since it can't be complete anymore.

Get all expeditions and so on is way out of my league.
I stopped collecting side products (like duel decks and stuffs) because of anthologies.
I had to stop collecting judge promos too...
I have never been this close to quit Magic, but this sadly an economic choice.
To me, a collection has no purpose if you can't complete it.
I was very proud to have every card printed (not foil and all languages, don't get me wrong) from unlimited until, last year, now it's over
:'-(
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 am

There's so much new products, Promos and packaging that I'm getting lost with my Kaladesh update:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-09-06

KALADESH
Booster Battle Pack
Booster Box
Deck Builder's Toolkit
Fat Pack renamed Bundle
Holiday Gift Box renamed The Gift Box
Intro Packs replaced by Planeswalker Decks
Prerelease Pack
Sampler Decks ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Masterpiece Series sounds good, that way people can google it and find both the WoTC and Magiclibrarities pages.

I might get some boosters to draft with, I like the idea of getting a really cool card in a booster but I shudder at the thought of trying to get them all.

I might look up the rules again to see how you play the game and I might even learn how to play draft.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:32 am

Masterpiece series are the same rarity as Expeditions right?
I hear that this will be a regular thing with every set in the future.
We need a rarity term that can be used for Expeditions, Masterpieces, and whatever they call these in the future.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:15 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Masterpiece series are the same rarity as Expeditions right?
I hear that this will be a regular thing with every set in the future.
We need a rarity term that can be used for Expeditions, Masterpieces, and whatever they call these in the future.

Tav
Hi Tav

Nope, Expeditions while having a different symbol were M like Mythic Rares as mentioned on the card:
024/045 M
EXP * EN

After reading the full text of announcement, the specific rarity is not mentioned but on the card it's written:
006/054 S
MPS . EN

I don't know what the S stands for, so for now, I use Masterpiece Series, till a precised Rarity is hopefully established by WotC...
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Alifromcairo
Legendary All Alpha Elitist Wannabe

Post by Alifromcairo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:32 am

That topic title :-D

Well,I always admired people who collect every cards from the beginning, even ten years ago, I always considered this kind of project as a "Sisyphus-like" goal. Now Magic has become an industrial, widespread card game all over the world and you need to buy warehouses to achieve it. But it is also this neverending new stuff that keeps the game alive in the same time and make it attractive for new players. These Masterpieces series cards are quiet sexy, but well, I prefer to focus on older sets.
Visit the Shores of Imagination

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:20 am

Hi Members

So Intro packs no longer exist, and they are replaced by: Planeswalker deck

Point is that Intro Pack were Alternate Art Cards of existing cards in the set. Planeswalker deck cards according to WotC are cards that won't be found in the expansion meaning I can't add them in the Standard Alternate Art Cards subsection. So knowing that where do they fit:
Special Purpose Cards or Irregular Standard Cards ?

This is the article about Planeswalker deck:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-05-16

I still don't know if Sample Deck cards will be available.

Kaladesh is a headache....
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:13 pm

effai wrote:Masterpiece seems find for me.

I'm now too conisdering stopping the collection, since it can't be complete anymore.

Get all expeditions and so on is way out of my league.
I stopped collecting side products (like duel decks and stuffs) because of anthologies.
I had to stop collecting judge promos too...
I have never been this close to quit Magic, but this sadly an economic choice.
To me, a collection has no purpose if you can't complete it.
I was very proud to have every card printed (not foil and all languages, don't get me wrong) from unlimited until, last year, now it's over
:'-(
I agree to an extent. lately though, I have changed my philosophy to flipping high-end chase cards as a means to keep the core-intent of being a player intact. I have flipped expeditions for high-end cards that are playable or for cash to buy boxes. I see these inserts as a means to an end- to make being a player that's up to date more affordable.

Recently I flipped expeditions into more cards value-wise which then allowed me to upgrade to NM condition both my beta walk and beta timetwister. That was more satisfying to me than to play the 'gotta catch them all' game that I used to play.

So now my philosophy is more inline with being a the player/collector rather than just the collector/player that I spent almost 2 decades as. As for judge promos, I am still able to snipe them in trades and am back-filling 'open teeth' in the collection.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:17 pm

As an aside,
I like the net-effect of having value placed randomly for old and new players alike. I can get more return value now as an old player and newer players can flip these chase cards into making legacy and vintage more-affordable if they want to trade into those formats. It's a grind, but an attainable goal for those who are looking to make the leap over the vast chasm.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:51 am

dragsamou wrote: I don't know what the S stands for, so for now, I use Masterpiece Series, till a precised Rarity is hopefully established by WotC...

I would guess that "S" stands for Special.
Haven't we seen that before somewhere? an S after the collector number or something? I don't recall for sure.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:57 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
dragsamou wrote: I don't know what the S stands for, so for now, I use Masterpiece Series, till a precised Rarity is hopefully established by WotC...

I would guess that "S" stands for Special.
Haven't we seen that before somewhere? an S after the collector number or something? I don't recall for sure.

Tav
Hi Tav

Yes, for me S is for Special, I need to check but I think it's the first time a S is used. Is Special should be the new Rarity for those Masterpiece Series cards ?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:41 am

I don't know the correct terminology to describe it, but I seem to recall that some sets (core sets I think), had some promotional cards come out in small packs, and those cards were not part of the normal set. Those cards may have had an S after the collector number.
I could be remembering it wrong. It wasn't something that I collect.