Commerative card in honor of Luc Mertens

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Commerative card in honor of Luc Mertens

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Luc retired from CM after a BUNCH of years there. He has been involved with Magic from the beginning.
The WotC Art Dept. made this card in his honor. He gave it to Peter who loaned it to me to have it recorded here.
As I understand there were about 20 of these made.
I'll try and get a better scan later for the board but here is a preview picture.

Gary

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik43fs2l5znuj ... d.jpg?dl=0

Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Commerative card in honor of Luc Martins

Post by dragsamou » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:08 am

Hi Gary

So according to this link, Luc Mertens was the Printer Liaison of WOTC since the very beginning:
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazi ... daily/jc20

Regarding that commemorative card, I have some questions:
Is it a real card or a sticker ?
Regular MTG Back ?
Same size as a regular MTG card ?
Thickness same as a regular MTG card ?
20 given to him or also friends, family, WOTC employees, etc... ?

Now, where to place it: Special Guest Gift Cards ?

Or create a new subsection in Events Promos (Or elsewhere) named:
Special Commemorative Cards
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Cool, Thanks for taking the time to save stuff like this.

Tav

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:53 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi Gary
Alexis; Sorry to take so long in answering.

So according to this link, Luc Mertens was the Printer Liaison of WOTC since the very beginning:

Is it a real card or a sticker ? Really hard to tell. One time I look at it I think it is a sticker, the next time it looks like areal card. If I had to choose i would go with a stuck on facing of some kind but well done and under pressure as no flaws.
Regular MTG Back ? Yes (with appropriate edge damage and a slight bend. Not sure how log Peter carried this arround before giving it to me.
Same size as a regular MTG card ? Yes
Thickness same as a regular MTG card ? Really really looks like the same thickness--related to question 1.
20 given to him or also friends, family, WOTC employees, etc... ? Peter was not sure of the number or distribution (Luc was with us for dinner at GenCon but Peter didn't give me the card till later so, being unaware of it, I didn't ask Luc any questions about it.

I think this would be a good subsection and then put all the Garfield cards and any others that are specifically for people in it.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:02 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Hi Gary
Alexis; Sorry to take so long in answering.

Is it a real card or a sticker ? Really hard to tell. One time I look at it I think it is a sticker, the next time it looks like areal card. If I had to choose i would go with a stuck on facing of some kind but well done and under pressure as no flaws.
Regular MTG Back ? Yes (with appropriate edge damage and a slight bend. Not sure how log Peter carried this arround before giving it to me.
Same size as a regular MTG card ? Yes
Thickness same as a regular MTG card ? Really really looks like the same thickness--related to question 1.
20 given to him or also friends, family, WOTC employees, etc... ? Peter was not sure of the number or distribution (Luc was with us for dinner at GenCon but Peter didn't give me the card till later so, being unaware of it, I didn't ask Luc any questions about it.

I think this would be a good subsection and then put all the Garfield cards and any others that are specifically for people in it.
Hi Gary

Read your PM. Please
mystical_tutor wrote: Or create a new subsection in Events Promos (Or elsewhere) named: Special Commemorative Cards
Done, I will add it to the Gift Cards section at the next update.
PS: I need a better scan
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Re: Commerative card in honor of Luc Mertens

Post by dry cereal » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:25 am

can you imagine being the salesperson representing some crummy new game when they started asking for bigger and bigger printing jobs?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 am

Alexis

Sorry for the long delay. I wanted to add something to the historical aspects of this.
The article claims that Luc was always the printer liaison for WOTC. I'm not sure about the technical term here of liaison but I know that for a couple years at least Rachael Hemstad worked at the plant and I understood her job was related to quality control and production. I have sent her a request for information and will post it when she replies. I'm not sure if there were any duty overlaps between the two but the only introduction I had was that she was a liaison for WotC.

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Alexis

Sorry for the long delay. I wanted to add something to the historical aspects of this.
The article claims that Luc was always the printer liaison for WOTC. I'm not sure about the technical term here of liaison but I know that for a couple years at least Rachael Hemstad worked at the plant and I understood her job was related to quality control and production. I have sent her a request for information and will post it when she replies. I'm not sure if there were any duty overlaps between the two but the only introduction I had was that she was a liaison for WotC.

Gary
Hi Gary

All fine, the subsection is ready but not added to the website yet (in the Gift Cards section), and it contains only that card so far. I will add info as soon as you provide them.
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/973-rar ... index.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.