New Booster Pack Packaging

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

New Booster Pack Packaging

Post by CHaPuZaS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Good news for the world, though booster pack collectors might have some issues. Wizards seems to be testing waters for a new kind of wrapper:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2015-02-24

Will the size and appearance be the same? Will this affect the box size and weight? Will this affect future releases? So many questions!

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:27 am

That is interesting. Kinda makes me think of the cardboard wrappers they use for the mass market hanging boosters. Those certainly are a different size, shape and weight.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:52 pm

This is what makes collecting boosters so interesting!

If they were all the same it would be boring. I like the way they keep trying new things...

Different pictures on the boosters, Sample Boosters, Demo Boosters, 6-card packs, 8-card packs, 10-card packs, all foil packs, pre-release boosters, faction packs, promo boosters.

I just wish I could get them all.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:17 pm

We can see so little with the image provided, that those boosters might be a bit different and still similar to the typical wrapper (Spmething that already happened in Unhinged), as a collector and as a lover of the feel and appearance of the good old booster I just wish that the booster had the same form, though switching to recycable materials.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 am

It might just be a trial which they don't adopt, I suppose it depends on the reaction it receives from the players.

If they all go cardboard you can bet that sometime in the future they will release a set in the old borders with the old booster packaging.

A bit of a concern is how many different pictures they can print on the cardboard. I am not sure how it is done now, but if it is cheap to print lots of different cover variations on the new boosters then I am out! I can't keep up with it at the moment, not so much the price, but the supply lines from abroad.

I wonder why they wouldn't show the front...

Gold foiling on the packaging? Holograms? Cool security devices?

They might try something special on the first one to win over the sceptics...

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

These packs remind me of packaging used for some useless ccg's in the mid 90's, like Deadlands: Lost Colony Showdown, Spawn and Power Cardz. They used cardboard for packaging 20 years ago! The recyclable nature of their packaging couldn't dissuade from the crappiness of the game however.

CHaPuZaS

Post by CHaPuZaS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:35 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: I wonder why they wouldn't show the front...
Because they don't want to spoil a new card so soon. In a reprint set, the card is super recognizable, remember that last MM boosters had Dark Confidant, Sword of Fire and Ice and Vedalken Shacklesm which everybody will guess.

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:06 am

CHaPuZaS wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote: I wonder why they wouldn't show the front...
Because they don't want to spoil a new card so soon. In a reprint set, the card is super recognizable, remember that last MM boosters had Dark Confidant, Sword of Fire and Ice and Vedalken Shacklesm which everybody will guess.
That makes more sense :)