Fate Reforge japanese Misprints

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Fate Reforge japanese Misprints

Post by mmgun » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:22 pm

It seems, they really messed up Japanese Fate Reforged during production.
Did anybody here open already one or more boxes of japanese Fate Reforged and can please contact to verify some details ?
I am still investigating this, i will post more details soon.

PS Its not about the issue with the Sieges Hologram, which is bad enough !
Last edited by mmgun on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djorda
Librarities Member

Post by djorda » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:09 pm

I'll receive in the next few days some boosters from japan. If I see something, I'll let you know.

Diego.
Counterspell collector

Djorda in mkm :)

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:14 am

Not sure about non-English cards but I was disappointed with the quality of the English cards. It seems like a majority of the edges are rough in the box and the fat pack I opened. There were examples of this in all three rarities.

I am beginning to wonder if things are going down hill in the company. All prices are up and product seems to be getting worse.

Are others asking where the essence of this expansion is? out of 185 cards, 20 of them are lands. Thus it is only a 160 card expansion for actual play strategy. Isn't that kind thin?

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Ok, here are my investigation results so far. I opened a Box of japanese Fate Reforged ( made in japan) myself to have some reference.

In my Box all Rares and Mythics are misprinted. They used the layout for foil cards on non foil cards. Usually in the copyright line an Asterisk (*) indicates the foil condition of a card, while a Dot ( .) indicates the non foil condition.

I did some online research and did not find any japanese FRF Mythic so far , which have the correct Dot on non Foils, all look like this:

However, I found wrong AND correct non Foil Rares. The question is still, where do these correct rares come from ( maybe "Made in USA" packs? )

Additionally, in Fate Reforged ( all languages) they introduced a new Foil Hologram for 6 cards, which has some kind of 3D effect when you change to perspective to show either the Khans of Tarkir Symbol or a Dragon Skull.
(Crux of Fate, Palace Siege,Citadel Siege,Monastery Siege,Frontier Siege,Outpost Siege)
For some japanese Cards, the space for this Hologram does also exist on the non foil cards. I pulled those also from my "made in Japan" box. The correct Versions dont have it.

Foil Version:

Misprint Non Foil Version:

Correct Non Foil Version:

The Big Questions are now:

Where do the correct cards come from?
Do correct Mythics exist?
Do all Rares exist in Wrong (confirmed by me) and correct ( unconfirmed) Version?
Last edited by mmgun on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Considering that the Japanese are usually good on quality control, this raises some interesting questions.

What percentage of cards are printed in Japan?
Are they also printed in the US and at CM?

You have opened a barrel of worms there my friend.

Good investigating and attention to detail.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:52 pm

Update:

The correct Monastery Sieges come from the Clash Pack. So these are not from regular booster packs and are probably the only correct ones.

djorda
Librarities Member

Post by djorda » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:57 pm

All japanese rares/mythics I pulled have a star, foils and non-foils.

Also, I pulled a Crux of Fate and a Palace Siege non-foil, both with missprint watermark in the textbox.
All boosters made in japan.

Last edited by djorda on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Counterspell collector

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Did anyone play a Prerelease with japanese Cards? Maybe the cards in the packs from these PReRelease packages were correct ?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:19 pm

mmgun wrote:Update:

The correct Monastery Sieges come from the Clash Pack. So these are not from regular booster packs and are probably the only correct ones.
Where was the clash pack printed?

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:32 pm

djorda wrote:All japanese rares/mythics I pulled have a star, foils and non-foils.

Also, I pulled a Crux of Fate and a Palace Siege non-foil, both with missprint hologram.

I am having trouble visualizing a misprinted hologram. Are we talking about the small ovel at the bottom of the card on rare/MR cards?

In going through my English language cards I see no consistency in these. Some have two "forks", some have 3 some are very off center, either vertically or horizontally etc. There doesn't seem to be a standard.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:23 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
djorda wrote:All japanese rares/mythics I pulled have a star, foils and non-foils.

Also, I pulled a Crux of Fate and a Palace Siege non-foil, both with missprint hologram.

I am having trouble visualizing a misprinted hologram. Are we talking about the small ovel at the bottom of the card on rare/MR cards?

In going through my English language cards I see no consistency in these. Some have two "forks", some have 3 some are very off center, either vertically or horizontally etc. There doesn't seem to be a standard.

Gary

We talk about the Hologram in the textbox of the foil Versions. There is nothing about the little Holo Stamp.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Another Interesting Fact about my Japanese FRF Box: It had exactly 36 different Rares/Mythics, which is good for me as a collector but very unusual in general. All other boxes i ever opened had a lot of duplicates or even one card three times.

How about your Box, Djorda ?

djorda
Librarities Member

Post by djorda » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 pm

I didn't open a box, but 15 boosters... But yeah, all rare/mythics were different (but I can't guarantee they were pulled from the same box)

Just a thought... I opened a month ago a japanese KTK box, and all the 36 rares/mythics were different :-k
(made in japan too)
Counterspell collector

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:52 am

We talk about the Hologram in the textbox of the foil Versions.
I was also confused about it. Maybe one should call it watermark :wink:.

djorda
Librarities Member

Post by djorda » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:11 am

Neuron wrote:
We talk about the Hologram in the textbox of the foil Versions.
I was also confused about it. Maybe one should call it watermark :wink:.
Sorry guys, edited.
Counterspell collector