Irrational exhuberance?

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Irrational exhuberance?

Post by chaosdjinn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:24 am

So...GP New Jersey was this past weekend and it had the most condensed amount of Power 9 cards I have ever seen....and I've been a dealer/trader/player/collector for over 20 years.

I came across this article- it's a little long, but worth the read if you're a fanatic like me.

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/11/19/how ... of-a-deal/

Now, the article was a fun read for someone who trades a lot and I was about to click out of it until I hit the FINAL NOTE section.

Go ahead....scroll down to it....

Back? Ok...I thought it was a bit hyperbole based on the largest eternal event ever and it notes spikes in prices jumping accordingly.

Then I went to SCG to look at the prices on P9 cards...

*MY* jaw dropped....and it takes a lot to astonish me...

Go ahead....look at prices for the P9 cards....absolutely astonishing.
#-o

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:30 am

I am regularly at the GP events in Europe each year. There is no good way to trade cards anymore for quite a while ( at least 4 years) You only see traders arround the floor who want to trade stuff to increase value and not for any need. Not much fun. Sometimes i think i am the only guy arround there who is really looking for cards he needs and wants to keep....

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 am

Interesting read, I gave up on ever acquiring power 9 a long time ago.

I never played with them, I never pulled them from a pack, I am not an 'investor' in MtG and I can buy a lot of rare sealed product for that sort of money. You don't miss what you never had!

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:34 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Interesting read, I gave up on ever acquiring power 9 a long time ago.

I never played with them, I never pulled them from a pack, I am not an 'investor' in MtG and I can buy a lot of rare sealed product for that sort of money. You don't miss what you never had!
For me, it's about trading for upgraded cards, rarities, or other outliers. I do trade a lot across the board but try to make it equitable for both parties as my reputation is very important.

As for the soaring prices on P9, I just can't believe it has jumped so far, so fast. 20k for an Alpha Lotus; 15k for a Beta Lotus...absolutely crazy.

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:49 pm

I got all of my Power a long time ago (like before 2000*)

I paid $50 for a well-played Beta Lotus in '98... curious as to how much it's worth now :D

(*pulled a Mox Ruby in the Zendikar pre-release)

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Hey chaosdjinn,

While I was up on the current price trends, I still think that was a great article... thanks for pointing it out. =D>

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:23 pm

thanks for waking me up on the price change. I was not up on it at all.

DAMN! I don't even dare carry my old decks around with me anymore and this takes all the fun out of my multiplayer deck "The Deck" where everyone plays off the same deck and you get to watch eyes pop when they draw the BL or one of the Moxes.......

Really ruins the fun.

Gary

Edit: note that SCG is out of stock on all tournament legal Time Walks and the Inernationa edition.......sigh.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.