Arena League Promos: two versions of Urza's foil lands?

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

califrag wrote:I checked all my other promos, duress, jaguar, quarry, island no symbol, nothing else had bigger star.

What about naming the foil star according to 'version' like, 'v1', 'v1.1', 'v2', 'v3' and then just on the page can be a 'legend' to denote the differences between them with links to the post above? How many total version are there? Four right?

Have the new judge promos with the old frame like 'Crucible of Worlds' changed the size of the star yet again? I don't have one to check, so that's why I ask.

Anyways, just figured I would throw that out, in case we end up running out of 'size' words.
Hi

Same here all my others Urza Saga Promos have a Medium Star. There's 3 versions, Large, Medium and Small, which is a simple way to make the difference. Once the third Shooting Star will be added in the program, I will replace the ones that are concerned in the index with that new one. Need first to create the Large Shooting Star, so my webmaster can add it, I hope, it's possible.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Members

Let me know what you think of the 3 different shooting Stars, before I send the New one (Medium 39 X 18) to my webmaster.

Large (44 X 20)
Image

Medium (39 X 18)
Image

Small ( 35 X 16)
Image

ImageImageImage
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Florida

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Looks good to me.

hammr7
Librarities Legend
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Southern New Jersey

Post by hammr7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:26 pm

In coins there have been similar variations, and they normally refer to them as "rays". The star itself, including the tail, seem to be near identical. It is the rays that are larger or smaller. Maybe "regular rays" and "large rays" would work for names.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 am

hammr7 wrote:In coins there have been similar variations, and they normally refer to them as "rays". The star itself, including the tail, seem to be near identical. It is the rays that are larger or smaller. Maybe "regular rays" and "large rays" would work for names.
Hi Henry

This is indeed correct that the star itself is near identical in both versions, and that the difference is between the length, of the "Spikes". While "Rays" is appropriate for coins, what will be the precised name of the 8 "Spikes" of a star, I believe that should be the name used.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Even though I like the "rays" distinction (though we are talking of the "burst") I think, if you look closely there are actual differences in the size of the total "star" (burst-tail). Measuring from the end of the tail (well, from where it kinda looks like the tail ends) to the center of the burst, there is a noticeable difference between the small star the the other two. With the medium and large stars the distinction really is more in the rays.
No one set of terms is exactly accurate (as I noted in my post above). To say 'small star burst/medium star burst/large star burst vs. small star/medium star/large star is equally inaccurate. Both communicate that there is a difference the collector should note. One just uses less page space.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:53 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Even though I like the "rays" distinction (though we are talking of the "burst") I think, if you look closely there are actual differences in the size of the total "star" (burst-tail). Measuring from the end of the tail (well, from where it kinda looks like the tail ends) to the center of the burst, there is a noticeable difference between the small star the the other two. With the medium and large stars the distinction really is more in the rays.
No one set of terms is exactly accurate (as I noted in my post above). To say 'small star burst/medium star burst/large star burst vs. small star/medium star/large star is equally inaccurate. Both communicate that there is a difference the collector should note. One just uses less page space.

Gary
Very convincing. So Small/Medium/Large Shooting Star as easier even if not totally accurate.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Default User
Librarities Hero
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:12 pm
Location: Finland

Post by Default User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 am

I went over my lands and couldn't find any Plains or Mountains with the larger star, but I randomly had both Plains and Swamp with both versions. I still need to check my 10 judge Bolts, but I would guess those were all printed in one go, instead of over two years like the Arena lands.

I had thought that I would be done with my english Arena set, but now I still need to find a Forest with the larger star and if the Plains and Mountain excist, find those too.

I also haven't yet seen an Island without the set symbol with larger star. Hopefully there isn't one, so I don't have to get one. :-D I already had too much trouble tracking down different Chill versions for the set.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Post by dragsamou » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 am

Default User wrote:I went over my lands and couldn't find any Plains or Mountains with the larger star, but I randomly had both Plains and Swamp with both versions. I still need to check my 10 judge Bolts, but I would guess those were all printed in one go, instead of over two years like the Arena lands.

I had thought that I would be done with my english Arena set, but now I still need to find a Forest with the larger star and if the Plains and Mountain excist, find those too.

I also haven't yet seen an Island without the set symbol with larger star. Hopefully there isn't one, so I don't have to get one. :-D I already had too much trouble tracking down different Chill versions for the set.
Hi Tuomas

All 5 Arena Urza Saga Lands exist in both versions, the only mystery that remains is about the Island Urza Saga with No Symbol, as so far, no one have shown proof that it exisist with the Larger Shooting Star. I'm still looking myself for the 4 different Larger ones that I miss in NM+/Mint, only have extras of the Medium shooting star.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Default User
Librarities Hero
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:12 pm
Location: Finland

Four sealed Arena land packs possibly on sale

Post by Default User » Fri May 16, 2014 2:33 pm

A newish member on MtGSalvation just asked the value of his Saga foil lands, with 4 sealed packs included here.

So if anybody still needs these, there might be a good chance to contact the person.

With kind regards,

Tuomas
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

User avatar
dragsamou
Administrator
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Arena League Promos: two versions of Urza's foil lands?

Post by dragsamou » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:00 am

Hi Members

Enjoy and thanks to member Samite Healer for the pics. =D>

Foil Italian Urza's Legacy Common/Uncommon Uncut Sheet with the Arena 1999/2000 Promos in English with Big Shooting Star and with Black Round Corner Shiny Filler Card

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests