New MtG Site: Original Magic Art.com

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:14 pm

A nice website and a welcome addition.

It is a nice addition to have interviews. But I personally would like to see some basic information about the people you interview. Let's say a full name ?

Best,

Ari

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 am

OriginalMagicArt wrote:
I would love to get more people to share their collections on my site. I try to maintain anonymity when requested but I feel that we should be sharing our passion and displaying our collections to the greater community.
After the murder that occured a while ago, I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. Google a name and you easily can find all that you need to know about someone... So anonymity is even more important right now even though we should not get paranoid.

My 2 cts

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Actually I agree very strongly with that. It is not paranoia when you have your neighbors ENTIRE household moved (stolen) when they are gone for a week.

The power of the internet is a power for bad as well as good.

In my case I keep all my goodies in a bank vault most of the time and certainly when I am on a trip. Problem is, most bad guys wouldn't know that and would ransack the place looking for stuff that isn't here.

Art, short of having walk in display vaults, hangs right out there where it is easy to grab and run. I know Peter hasn't had his stuff home for years just because he knows that people know he has stuff.

And would hate to have them come when I'm home. I have a light tan carpet and I understand it is a bitch to get blood out of.....

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Josh;

I just looked over my posts and I don't want you to think I'm negative about your site or goals. I love it..

I just want to support caution in connection with art ownership and location.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Oh, I completely agree. That is why I now require all EXIF data to be stripped from images that are uploaded on the site.

Ideally I would like to get this stripped on upload, but I have not figured out how to do that yet.

I definitely understand the perils of sharing too much information and try to do what I can to prevent any negative consequences from sharing a collection, sometimes very valuable ones.

That is why I changed registrations to usernames only going forward and strictly monitor the images that are uploaded on the site. If you ever do find a gallery with EXIF or GPS data attached, please alert me and I will take down the gallery, remove the data and put it back up.

For the interviews of collectors I have done, I try to keep names and locations far away from the conversation, I completely understand that when you start talking about some of the rarities out there, caution should be used.

The artist interviews are a bit more open as I am trying to promote their work while celebrating their contribution to the game.

There will be another one posted tomorrow, it's probably my best one so far.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Awesome ! Thanks for the great job.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 am

What's the dealio with the guy who "owns" all those paintings M Tedin says were stolen from him?

Thanos
Librarities Member

Post by Thanos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 am

random wrote:What's the dealio with the guy who "owns" all those paintings M Tedin says were stolen from him?
I'm thinking they were acquired legally from the dealer, however the dealer never paid Mark the money.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 am

I'm thinking they were acquired legally from the dealer, however the dealer never paid Mark the money.
Think about the logic of your statement...
Not to be a smart ass or anything but seriously.

Did the dealer "own" that art? If he didn't "own" the art and then he sold the art that didn't belong to him how was it legally acquired by the "collector".

If you buy stolen property, believing it's not stolen property, is it your property after you purchase it?

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 am

Seriously...

"Many years ago, not long after the first set for Magic: The Gathering was released, I consigned many of those first pieces to a gallery in Kirkland, Washington called WIZARDS GALLERY, owned by MARC RIECK. Four of the pieces were sold legal and fine, but the gallery abruptly closed and the artwork was not returned, despite the contract we'd signed. If you've seen or heard of any of these artworks being sold or re-sold, or know the whereabouts of Mr. Rieck, please contact me:

Chaos Orb, Fireball, Helm of Chatzuk, Jayemdae Tome, Lord of the Pit, Nevinyrral's Disk, Sol Ring (I), Time Vault, Timetwister, Wall of Wood, Winter Orb, Wooden Sphere.
"

MT might "be aware of the situation" and it might be too late to recuperate his losses but imagine the money he got F___d out of there. Timetwister, Time Vault, Disk, Orb/s, Fireball... imagine how much money EACH of those pieces will get on Ebay and who knows in the future. It's at least 100K I'd imagine. Sky is the limit though and probably a lot more than that-

So some random guy "legally" got them from someone who stole them. So it's all good... this is why I hate the overall "community" of MTG players in general. Love the game though;)

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 pm

I made sure to confirm with the owner and Mark Tedin that the paintings were purchased legally, and both parties confirm that they were purchased above board.

Mark is actually working with the owner now to get more information.

These were purchased while Mark Tedin was being represented by the Gallery Owner. There was nothing shady about the purchases themselves, the fact that the gallery owner did not send Mark the money for the purchases is not the fault of the current owner.

The current owner bought them in good faith as the gallery owner was in fact representing many artists at the time of purchase, not just Mark Tedin.

There are definitely legal consequences for the gallery owner, and I do hope Mark gets justice for this theft, but the current owner acted in good faith and both parties agree to this.

The fact that the pieces have surfaced with potential sales records may give Mark more legal backing to seek damages from the gallery owner.

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Also, I hope you enjoyed the interview with Pete Venters.

He gave some clues on the event in Seattle in March but still nothing concrete.

I have been watching Kickstarter for his/their project but nothing has shown up so far.

Thanos
Librarities Member

Post by Thanos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm

random wrote:Seriously...

"Many years ago, not long after the first set for Magic: The Gathering was released, I consigned many of those first pieces to a gallery in Kirkland, Washington called WIZARDS GALLERY, owned by MARC RIECK. Four of the pieces were sold legal and fine, but the gallery abruptly closed and the artwork was not returned, despite the contract we'd signed. If you've seen or heard of any of these artworks being sold or re-sold, or know the whereabouts of Mr. Rieck, please contact me:

Chaos Orb, Fireball, Helm of Chatzuk, Jayemdae Tome, Lord of the Pit, Nevinyrral's Disk, Sol Ring (I), Time Vault, Timetwister, Wall of Wood, Winter Orb, Wooden Sphere.
"

MT might "be aware of the situation" and it might be too late to recuperate his losses but imagine the money he got F___d out of there. Timetwister, Time Vault, Disk, Orb/s, Fireball... imagine how much money EACH of those pieces will get on Ebay and who knows in the future. It's at least 100K I'd imagine. Sky is the limit though and probably a lot more than that-

So some random guy "legally" got them from someone who stole them. So it's all good... this is why I hate the overall "community" of MTG players in general. Love the game though;)
Wow, seriously?

I based my response off of what Mark told me personally, I should have stated that, my fault, way to jump down my throat, thanks.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanos wrote:
random wrote:Seriously...

"

Wow, seriously?

I based my response off of what Mark told me personally, I should have stated that, my fault, way to jump down my throat, thanks.
Don’t take it seriously Thanos… Random ‘randomly’ jumps in with a dick-ish response- it’s his quirk and we love him for it.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Please understand I'm basing this off of a post on I.E. that EXPLICITLY states "STOLEN ART". The person who posted the spiel there being the artist himself- So I think my posts were fair. The post hadn't been removed or adjusted and neither the OP or COLLECTOR had made any clarification at all, until now.

I found that odd. Call me a dick for feeling like MT got ripped for probably several hundred K in art and what I consider/ed ambiguous responses by people not affiliated with him or the collector or the site ... till now-

It still seems debatable, to me, that MT might have some argument that the art was actually stolen from him. Considering the $$$ involved if I were him I would seriously consider a different approach than being a passive "nice" guy.

Being "dick-ish" in this day and age isn't a bad quality;)