The end of access to old sealed product

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

The end of access to old sealed product

Post by chaosdjinn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello all,

I am the adviser to the gamers' club here at the school I work at and, on occassion, we do random pack drafts from the older sets. That being said,
I have noticed over the last few months that sealed product from older sets has been drying up all over the net. Miniature Market, T&T & SCG have been pretty much wiped clean of booster boxes and any booster packs they may have in stock are nearly 2-3x original price even for less sought after sets. T&T has the most selection of individual booster packs and they seem to be the last stronghold holding out against the tide of buyers.
Up until last fall, T&T had randomly assorted booster boxes for $99 and you could get packs of Saga, Destiny, etc. as well as newer packs, foreign packs, etc. Now they're sold out and may restock in a few months "if they have extra packs" as per the CSR via phone.

Just an observation I wanted to share with you in case you are seeking sealed product to open/collect/ feed to your ferrett.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Are you actually having trouble finding sealed boxes, or are you just noticing the prices going up? What can't you find? I can still find a box of almost anything fairly easily, but prices have been increasing. However I think the higher prices just reflect the currently renewed popularity, same as the spike on singles prices.

EDIT: When I say almost anything I mean English booster boxes post-Dark. Since he mentions using them for drafting I figured this is what he meant. Many foreign boxes, as well as pre-Dark boxes are as difficult to find as they have ever been

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm

anyone need a box of Unlimited or Antiquities?

Gary

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:anyone need a box of Unlimited or Antiquities?

Gary
I really need one of each, but I just can't afford it :-D
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:27 am

Gary
Ooooohhhh!!!!! ME! ME! ME! ME!

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 am

effai wrote:

Gary
I really need one of each, but I just can't afford it :-D
Well you say you can't afford it, but we haven't heard his prices yet!

(I don't think I can afford it either, you would need to sit on it for a few years but you would probably make your money back with the Unlimited for sure)

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 am

I have noticed really high prices compared to last year, even for things like Homelands or Fallen Empires. A couple of years ago you couldn't give them away, now people are asking $3 for them.

The number of boosters that you could pick up for $1.99 has dropped off, even Saviours of Kamigawa are priced in the $3+ range.

I haven't had any trouble finding them though, just accepting that the prices are a lot higher.

I have been collecting a Global Booster set, I have managed to buy one of each booster wrapper for each set in each language for just about all the modern expansions in the last few months. I have managed to use Magic Card Market to go back further and fill in a significant number of the earlier european expansions.

Granted, I have spent around 2000 euros this month alone on boosters and some I just can't find at all.

There are quite a few boxes around but once again prices are a lot higher than they were last year.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:32 am

magic cards are more than ever a consumable good. Drafting is really fun, and wacky drafts are sweet. The supply will continue to decrease.

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:56 am

Gary
Thanks for the offer please send them to my known adress.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 am

dry cereal wrote:magic cards are more than ever a consumable good. Drafting is really fun, and wacky drafts are sweet. The supply will continue to decrease.
if I had an Unlimited box or AQ box I'd certainly organize a draft with them. Why not? Its one of those things you do just to have fun doing it.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:44 pm

caquaa wrote:
dry cereal wrote:magic cards are more than ever a consumable good. Drafting is really fun, and wacky drafts are sweet. The supply will continue to decrease.
if I had an Unlimited box or AQ box I'd certainly organize a draft with them. Why not? Its one of those things you do just to have fun doing it.
I am in. Lets get one going for GenCon!

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I just noticed that the supply was dwindling through the major outlet stores/ eBay and that the prices were ever-increasing. If you have boxes you'd like to sell, and can take a debit card or check (funds are a school club- no paypal account), please pm me your prices.

Gary- on a personal note, I am interested in the Unlimited box- can you pm me the price?

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 am

caquaa wrote:
For the cost of a sealed box of UL or Antiquities I can have a lot of fun!

Once they are opened you lose a lot of the monetary value, it better be a great game!

Now a group buy on a box of UL or Antiquities would be a worthy pursuit!

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 am

actually, I can think of more fun you can have with 10 grand...it involves bribing mall cops and go kart racing in a shopping mall

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Or, maybe something that involves women of ill-repute, firetrucks, a dwarf, two donkeys and a blowtorch...