knight exemplar promo - A7 2011

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 pm

yvel wrote:Stupid question... there is no way to see the card before opening ?
Thats right on both counts.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Bought 2 for giggles, got Elves vs Goblins Ambush Commander and JvC Jace. Certainly better than lots of the drek mentioned in that thread...
He's just this guy, ya know?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:28 am

Well, I am really bummed out.

Bought 5

For priemum cards I got:

5 ea. Brion Stoutarm.

Talk about a BIG letdown. Don't think I'll ever buy a promo hanger again and if I do it sure won't be at WallMart.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:46 am

I'd make the assumption they aren't too randomized after being packed. Personally if I find them, I'll buy 2. If they're looking promising I'll get more, if not I'll walk away. When I stopped at Target on my way to our local shop my friend asked why we were stopping. I told him, "looking to buy a lotto ticket." Unfortunately they didn't have those particular tickets in stock, heh.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:08 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Well, I am really bummed out.

Bought 5

For priemum cards I got:

5 ea. Brion Stoutarm.

Talk about a BIG letdown. Don't think I'll ever buy a promo hanger again and if I do it sure won't be at WallMart.

Gary
Hi Gary,
It's still better than a basic land foil !

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 pm

yvel wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:Well, I am really bummed out.
Bought 5
For priemum cards I got:
5 ea. Brion Stoutarm.
Talk about a BIG letdown. Don't think I'll ever buy a promo hanger again and if I do it sure won't be at WallMart. Gary
Hi Gary,
It's still better than a basic land foil !
Really? 4 Brions are on "you know where" for BIN of $3.75 (30 day return). I think I'd rather have foil islands.....

A couple would not have been bad but with no random "others" it was a sad day.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:04 pm

caquaa wrote:I'd make the assumption they aren't too randomized after being packed. Personally if I find them, I'll buy 2. If they're looking promising I'll get more, if not I'll walk away. When I stopped at Target on my way to our local shop my friend asked why we were stopping. I told him, "looking to buy a lotto ticket." Unfortunately they didn't have those particular tickets in stock, heh.
This is exactly why I bought 2, and since I liked them enough I might just snag some more...

* edit * Well, wasn't as exciting as I was hoping when I bought more. 3 more got me 2 foil lands and I think a Chandra from JvC. Yawners. Done buying them...
Last edited by Gryfalia on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's just this guy, ya know?

Loathing

Post by Loathing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:52 am

Annorax on MTGS has one of these he mentioned he would put on eBay soon. If anybody is looking for one it might be worth contacting him directly, although I've never dealt with him before.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Post by chaosdjinn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:59 am

So is the the Exemplar only one we know about? Is it a Brion/Retaliator Griffin ($2) or a Broodmate Dragon ($200)? Last time there were the three of them that needed to be found. Hopefully no having to go to Target rite aid, foot locker, 7-11 or wherever the H3LL else they decide to make us addicts try to go to get the next one...

I can see the marketing meeting....
"Ok...the blister packs didn't sell well until we put the foily 5 symbols on those mediocre cards...THEN...the addicts came out of the woodwork...and BAM...sold out in the Big Boxes...we made it look like all the kids cracking Wonka Bars to get the golden ticket..."

These things are a pain in the @$$ as a collector to worry about. I know, I know, I know....it's my choice, it's my addiction, yada, yada, yada...

hurrrrrmph..

{old man grumbles off into the shadows}

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 am

Every time I go into a Target or a Walmart I stop over by the section where these blister packs would be. I see lots of other Magic products but I have never once seen these blister packs hanging there. I've been to dozens of these stores in several cities, many many times over. Do people just buy them out the day they are put out? Or are they only distributed to certain stores?

They are usually packaged and distributed by a third party right? Not WotC directly? If that's true can we make an effort to map locations that actually sell these?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 am

l0qii wrote:Every time I go into a Target or a Walmart I stop over by the section where these blister packs would be. I see lots of other Magic products but I have never once seen these blister packs hanging there. I've been to dozens of these stores in several cities, many many times over. Do people just buy them out the day they are put out? Or are they only distributed to certain stores?

They are usually packaged and distributed by a third party right? Not WotC directly? If that's true can we make an effort to map locations that actually sell these?
I wondered the same thing with the dragon. Never found a blister in any store while that baby was suposed to be on the market. When the Griffin came out one of the local Target stores had a gob of them. The same store has not had any of the present bunch. One WallMart has never had any that I was able to find.

My blush on it is that some store floor manager has something to do with what is ordered and with these people changing and products being hot one time and cold the next (anyone go back for a second griffin?) they get ordered or not on a partial whim. Seriously doubt they could be charted for the future.

Gary

Default User
Librarities Hero

Knight Exemplar sightings

Post by Default User » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 am

These sem to be becoming a little more accessible. Several people have been finding that if the blister pack had one Knight, there are nearly always more in the batch sent to that store. One MtGS-member has now 12-13 of these.

The price has also dipped, with some sold out very quickly at 20 $ each. I'll be looking to grab one up pretty soon, as if the promo run dries up, tracking these down will be much more annoying than losing 20 $, if the market gets flooded.
Global old art Lightning Bolt collector, mainly missing fwb and Summer.

ninjason

Post by ninjason » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:40 pm

First off, my apologies to the Austin Magic rarities crowd. The reason you can't get this promo card... well it's my fault.

Though to be fair... the story below is why you can't find any of the triple booster blister packs... why you can't find the promo card is another story for another person to tell.

I first encountered the promo Knight Exemplar in one of the larger local game stores in the Dallas area this past Christmas. I was trying to do a big trade with the store owner. I wanted some random promo cards and he wanted all of my foil Unhinged cards. We were going through all of the various promos he had that for whatever reason were never handed out to players. We found 3 Knight Exemplars in his stash and neither of us could figure out where they were from. I searched all the usual online resources, including magiclibrarities.net, but to no avail. I thought perhaps it was a Buy-A-Box promo from a Core Set, but I did have an inkling that it might be a Walmart resale promo. The store owner ended up not trading any of them to me since we couldn't establish its provenance.

I wondered where it came from until I saw this thread. Then my quest began. I wasn't going to let this promo pass me by like the Broodmate Dragon promo did.

In my quest to find the Knight Exemplar, I bought up all of the triple booster blister packs in the greater Austin area. I went to every Walmart in the greater Austin Metro area and bought every single one I they had. 10 different Walmart stores. In total, I purchased 25 of them. Some stores had 10 of these triple booster blister packs... some had 1... most had none.

Out of those 25 blister packs I got a Knight Exemplar. 1. One. Uno. :-(

I could tell that some of the Walmarts had had some of these triple booster blister packs at some point in the past, but they had all sold out. I don't know if another Austin area rarities hunter was on a similar quest or if some random mom bought a pack for her Magic-craving son.

As a small gesture of penance to the other Austin Magic rarities hunters and to assist other Magic rarities hunters everywhere, I offer this list of the cards I did happen to get as a result my quest. Maybe a pattern can be discerned by someone with knack for that sort of thing.

1 X Knight Exemplar (Resale Promo) (Foil)
4 X Brion Stoutarm (Resale Promo) (Foil)
1 X Browbeat (Fire and Lightning) (Foil)
1 X Price of Progress (Fire and Lightning) (Foil)
1 X Starlit Sanctum (Onslaught) (Foil)
1 X Mulldrifter (Lorwyn) (Foil)
2 X Battlegrace Angel (Shards of Alara) (Foil)
2 X Master of Etherium (Shards of Alara) (Foil)
1 X Flameblast Dragon (Shards of Alara) (Foil)
1 X Spearbreaker Behemoth (Shards of Alara) (Foil)
1 X Thorn Elemental (7th Edition) (Foil)
2 X Elvish Champion (8th Edition) (Foil)
1 X Plains (7th Edition) (Foil)
1 X Island (Onslaught) (Foil)
1 X Island (Ravnica) (Foil)
1 X Island (Time Spiral) (Foil)
1 X Swamp (Time Spiral) (Foil)
1 X Mountain (Mirrodin) (Foil)
1 X Mountain (Ravnica) (Foil)

I'd be interested in hearing about any other similar quests. In the meantime, please do let me know if you happen to need any random Mirrodin Besieged or New Phyrexia booster packs. :-D
ninjason

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:42 pm

ninjason wrote:I'd be interested in hearing about any other similar quests. In the meantime, please do let me know if you happen to need any random Mirrodin Besieged or New Phyrexia booster packs. :-D
After my eperience with the 5 Brions I got my knight on "you know where" for $9.99. It arrived in the mail today.

Go ahead and call me chicken but burned 5 times was enough.

Gary

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 am

ninjason wrote: Out of those 25 blister packs I got a Knight Exemplar.
Nice story, thanks for sharing ... that's mean that you paid 25x 10$ to get this Knight promo. Little bit expensif , no ?