[Core Set News] Magic 2010

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp, hammr7, l0qii

User avatar
yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:20 am

[Core Set News] Magic 2010

Post by yawg07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:20 am

Here are the articles!

MAGIC 2010
Core Set Changes for 2009

Highlights include ...

* From now on, core sets will have ~50% new cards.
* From now on, core sets will be Black Bordered
* Playing spells is going back to CASTING SPELLS
* We will get a new core set each year
* They will all be named like for the following year
* PLANESWALKERS
* Black Knight
* 8 of the 16 "evergreens" are being pruned

User avatar
me-and_we
Librarities Legend
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:34 pm
Location: Vienna, where the Phantom of the Opera is at home

Re: [Core Set News] Magic 2010

Post by me-and_we » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 am

* We will get a new core set each year

This really bothers me, MtG used to be a game you had some time to get to know the new cards, create ideas etc.

Now they changed the speed of extended rotation, which allready makes it harder to keep up (especially if you don't plan to invest your whole time into MtG), then every year a core set with 50% new cards (which makes it pretty much like a big expansion set with lots of reprints) and the expansions. When are you supposed to get to know the new cards and test some ideas?

It also makes it harder for new players to get into the whole game, and last but not least the flavour has to suffer from this speed.

Man, I always was making jokes about how Yugi-Oh players must be on crack or sth. because they get new sets like every month. Now I'm afraid I'm going to lose some MtG friends to crack because otherwise they can't keep up with the new expansions...

The rest, well, I don't cae that much. It'll just be more work to get the new cards wb...

random
Librarities Legend
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by random » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 am

I like it.
Last edited by random on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeppe
Librarities Legend
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:15 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by Jeppe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 am

I would like it, IF they stop producing so many real expansions each year. There's WAY too many new cards per year, I think.
My cat collection and my Scathe Zombies collection
Do you have cards that I'm looking for? Let me know!

User avatar
equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:20 am
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: [Core Set News] Magic 2010

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

me-and_we wrote:* We will get a new core set each year

This really bothers me, MtG used to be a game you had some time to get to know the new cards, create ideas etc.
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!
Chris
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

User avatar
berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:56 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by berkumps » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:57 am

When they say ~50% new cards, do they mean 50% of the cards between Xth and (X-1)th edition will be different (but still the entire set will be reprints?

random
Librarities Legend
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by random » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Brand new cards.

User avatar
yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:20 am

Post by yawg07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Yes, brand new cards. Core sets are not just for reprints any longer.

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Post by ritnecrowin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:17 pm

WOW... that sounds like a great way to sell a product like base set... add new cards! Why on Earth would WOTC want to sell more product?

hammr7
Librarities Legend
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Southern New Jersey

Post by hammr7 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:25 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:WOW... that sounds like a great way to sell a product like base set... add new cards! Why on Earth would WOTC want to sell more product?
Problem is, they won't for long. At some point they will fatigue their "core" followers. It may become a monetary thing, or it may simply be the increased complexity. And if they turn off the most fanatical players, then the casual players will follow. Its a cycle that has happened in a lot of collectibles, even dual use ones like MTG. The game and its followers won't disappear, but the overall amount of cards sold will decrease.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:33 pm

ritnecrowin wrote:WOW... that sounds like a great way to sell a product like base set... add new cards! Why on Earth would WOTC want to sell more product?
Well, I have long wondered when the "bottom line" would completly override the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" common sense test. Now I see it.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

random
Librarities Legend
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by random » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 pm

I think it's a good idea. I think maybe MTGO has shown that there's a healthy amount of interest in people who draft and play sealed with the Core sets. The rotation isn't as bad as a block set where you're lost if you start to draft or play sealed (in any competitive mode) just after being gone for a few months. I also think it allows them to make some cards that would be found in the discontinued sets like Portal and whatnot. I'm happy with the changes.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it
I don't agree with this. I think that the core set has become sort of redundant. I agree with the articles author in that a lot of the cool elements of the early core sets has been lost. I think the core sets have been "broke" since maybe 6th edition. 5th edition was so huge it felt like "other" than a set even.

All my opinion :wink:

mwagee
Librarities Legend
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: USA

Post by mwagee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:37 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
ritnecrowin wrote:WOW... that sounds like a great way to sell a product like base set... add new cards! Why on Earth would WOTC want to sell more product?
Well, I have long wondered when the "bottom line" would completly override the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" common sense test. Now I see it.
Definitely about the bottom line, moreso now than ever before.

Thats why I only collect the older stuff nowadays.

User avatar
mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player
Posts: 3056
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 am
Location: Colorado Springs

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 am

random wrote:I don't agree with this. I think that the core set has become sort of redundant. I agree with the articles author in that a lot of the cool elements of the early core sets has been lost. I think the core sets have been "broke" since maybe 6th edition. 5th edition was so huge it felt like "other" than a set even.
These points are well taken about the details of the core set but where you see redundancy I see stability.

I agree about the deterioration of the contents of the core set but was speaking to the principle of having a foundation for Magic that carries on over several releases. This gives casual players and new players familiar ground that they can build on, specially when that core has fewer and less complicated mechanics than the expansions.

The underlying idea that the only way to improve the bottom line is to cater to the appetite of the "fast lane" players who "live" Magic has had a reverse impact on what used to be the larger segment of the Magic community--the part time player, full time job holder, comitted family member. The 15+ people that used to gather every week here and play Magic (and buy boxes of every new expansion) has dropped to 1 or 2 primarily because of the planned obsolescence of the cards they were familiar with. The only small island of refuge for them was the core set. Now it may no longer provide even that tiny but helpful continuity.

IMHO
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

random
Librarities Legend
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by random » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:59 am

The 15+ people that used to gather every week here and play Magic (and buy boxes of every new expansion) has dropped to 1 or 2 primarily because of the planned obsolescence of the cards they were familiar with. The only small island of refuge for them was the core set. Now it may no longer provide even that tiny but helpful continuity.
I think the damage with this group was already done though. I think it already hit rock bottom awhile ago, even you say 15 down to 1-2. That's pretty much rock bottom :wink: I don't think the core set was really serving anybody. I would always advise anyone new to get cards from that set off of the secondary market anyways.

Creating an environment (like MTGO does) where you can play core in limited and there's an actual reason to do so will move a lot of product. Having GP's support this set will be huge.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests