News about Tenth

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

News about Tenth

Post by me-and_we » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:48 pm

I hate to deliver bad news (well for me it is bad news, probably some of you guys will like it), but Wizards decided to give Tenth a black border. I dunno y they do this, they explain it by 10th being special and bla whatev, but to me it's just awful, I was hoping to get wb Crucibles without having to damage the card ...

Whatever, here's the link to the official announcement:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/1271
Last edited by me-and_we on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:25 pm

This seems to be going over pretty well on the WOTC boards. Anyone here have any thoughts? I think I remember there being an uproar among collectors when they said they'd make foils black border in core sets. Does this go against a previously stated reprint policy for them?

Does anyone think this will diminish the value of revised-9th?

Squt

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:28 pm

I'm not sure how I feel on this issue.
Having BB of a base set is reserved for the first base set in a language, and beta.
The only exception ever made to that rule was Simplified Chinese 5th edition, right?
However, they DID get a spiffy 5th edition "V" expansion symbol. (which was pretty cool, actually)

But then again, BB cards usually look a lot nicer.
Although I can't deny that I wanted WB Ascetics and Crucibles.

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

10th spoiler

Post by phiswiz » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Has there been any spoiler info for tenth yet? I keep hearing about cards that are going in and cards that are not, but I can't find any info about it.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:32 pm

squt wrote: Does anyone think this will diminish the value of revised-9th?
What value?
Seriously, the only value any cards have from these sets are from pure playability. Every card in those sets already has a bb version out there. If a BB 10th edition effect anything it will be the other bb versions of the cards it reprints.

That said I think this is a smart move for WotC. It puts some collectability back into the core set., which is cool. It also brings the luxury of an all BB deck back to the primarily english speaking only north american players. Until now you either had to shell out a ton of money on betas (or arabians, or whatever), or scour the globe for 4x of a fbb version that you (or often your opponent) couldn't necessarily read. A lot of casual players here have been waiting for this for a long time.

squt

Post by squt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:08 pm

OK OK - i mis-typed. Does anyone out there think that this will diminish the value of expansion sets? I mean, that is one of the great things about having the old cards in black border.

If they decide to put Jitte in 10th, would people care about getting the BOK version if they already had it BB in 10th?

Didn't they have to make a big deal about printing core set foils with black borders because they had said they wouldn't print core sets in black border at one time? Am I misremembering, too?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...i'm still on the fence about how i feel about it. The cards will definitely look cooler, but the collector in me is shuddering a bit about another one of their reprint policies being revised.

Squt

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Well, they haven't been so strict on their reprint policy lately. Remember Hypnotic Specter being on the list a year b4 9th release?
Then what about all his Timeshifted crap? Personally I am disgusted by the looks of the PC timeshifts. They look like MODO cards, awful. And whatabout this lilac symbol in time spiral?

Anyways, I'll try to get DS japo Crucibles now again, I just sold my set when I heard that they would be reprinted in 10th, if any1 got some left, PM me 'bout it... ;-)

Post Scriptum:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mt ... 10e/wrapup

This may help you squt, it's the "Selecting 10th Edition" wrapup...

greetz
Marcel

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:50 pm

they sure like selling cards

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:54 am

I would like to see them try something different, such as red bordered cards (black border works with black cards, so why not red borders with the red cards).
I was never a fan of white border, usually because the slightest dirtiness could always be seen on white, whereas it kind of melds in with other colors, at least with darker colors I would say.
This I would think would be quite neat. No problems with silver borders in the past either.

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:32 am

silver.paladin wrote:I would like to see them try something different, such as red bordered cards (black border works with black cards, so why not red borders with the red cards).
Well that would be a printing nightmare, considering how the cards are currently printed and cut.

Anyhow, I've never really been one to care about black border vs. white border, but the logic of "being able to distinguish the original from the reprint" is pretty silly. It's not as though we never get reprints in black-bordered expansion sets.

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Re: 10th spoiler

Post by yawg07 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:19 am

phiswiz wrote:Has there been any spoiler info for tenth yet? I keep hearing about cards that are going in and cards that are not, but I can't find any info about it.
Pretty much only the cards that won all the votes on Wizards' site are known. (Crucible, Troll Ascetic, Mind Stone, Mogg Fanatic etc)

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:28 am

I love it. Black-bordered cards simply look better. And since the foil versions have been given a black border anyway starting with 7th Edition, the change is not groundbreaking (but nonetheless highly welcome in my eyes).

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:55 am

Great news indeed !!! =D>
Artist for Neo-Token.

squt

Post by squt » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Here's their official reprint policy since 2002:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ma ... rintPolicy

It doesn't say anything about white borders vs black, and doesn't list hyppie at all. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall them saying any uncommon from alpha was fair game, hence the Psi Blast reprint.

I've come around to the 'it's a good thing' camp, most people prefer black borders. And shouldn't all of us hope that WOTC continues to sell lots of product? I certainly do.

Squt

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:23 pm

and me as a WB lover :-|| :-||

Where can I see a card list of the set?
Will there be a Shivan?
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506