New Ultra-Pro binders

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

New Ultra-Pro binders

Post by squt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:06 pm

Like many collectors, i have my sets separated in binders. i couldn't believe it when ultra-pro stopped making binders with - what was it, Legacy? Anyway, I was really excited when I saw Starcity was selling new ultra-pro licensed binders, and I orderd up 4 of 'em.

The artwork on them is beautiful, but there's a problem - they only hold 90 cards! That's not even a full expansion set.

I assumed they'd be three-ring binders that you could add pages to, but they come with 10 ultra-pro pages glued into the spine. Bleh.

Am I in the minority here on the use of binders? Is it unreasonable to want them to be big enough to hold a set?

Squt
Last edited by squt on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:27 pm

I am in the middle of reorganizing my entire collection and finally get rid of binders. Despite several precautionary measures, metal rings have damaged too many of my (originally mint) cards to bear it any longer.

The ringless binders you which you speak have become part of my new solution. You can easily place two cards in two single card sleeves back to back in each pocket and therefore store 180 cards in such a binder. With very few exceptions, all small sets fit nicely into one binder and all big sets into two binders. The reduced weight per item and the ability to access each set separately from each other increase the level of comfort.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm with squt on this one. I loved the old binders because I could fit an entire block nicely into 1 binder. I have a stack of generic fixed page folders that a refuse to use.

squt

Post by squt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:58 pm

I know what you mean, Ralph. Doing away with the rings is perfectly fine with me, but couldn't they either come up with a better way to switch out pages, or make a binder that had more than 10 sheets in it? I usually collect 1 english and 1 non-english set per release. For Time Spiral, that's nearly 900 cards. Even slotting the cards back-to-back, I would need 5 binders, and that ain't gonna happen.

I love the designs. I love that Ultra Pro is making binders again. I'm just baffled at the execution, and seeming lack of consideration for set size.

Squt

Mr. Nightmare
Librarities Hero

Post by Mr. Nightmare » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 pm

While it's only mildly connected to the topic, have any of you tried out the new Ultra-Pro Officially Liscensed Magic sleeves? They look nice from the photos on StarCity, has anyone played with them?

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

Star City

Post by phiswiz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 am

I will be there on Sat. I will take a look at them and give a full report.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Perfect solution?

Post by equi-nox76 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi Squt,

I had the same problem as you have now, take a look at this site:

http://www.sammlerladen.ch/shop/eshop/index.php?p=22

Click on the button in front of „Grande Ringbinder & Kassette grün“ and you got the nicest solution for one set or 2 expansions :-)

For other super solutions just search on the website: http://www.sammlerladen.ch/shop/

My favourite is the Optima G Gross-Binder schwarz for a complete collection + all promo cards of this collection, for example Ice Age + Homelands + Alliances + Coldsnap + All promo’s of those sets fit in ONE binder.

Maybe I could help you, these binders are not ment for Magic, but they got 4 rings and the ordinary Ultra Pro Silver Sleeves fit perfectly. On top of that they look very nice in a row ;-) and do protect perfectly (also from light because of the binder-cover).

Chris

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:07 pm

Wow, those are classy! But are they D-ring or just standard O-ring?

equi-nox76

Ring

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 am

Hi,

none of the two, here is a link to a pic of the rings:

http://www.vienna-zitta.at/catalog/prod ... ts_id/1929

Chris

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Re: Perfect solution?

Post by ende73 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:03 am

equi-nox76 wrote:Hi Squt,

I had the same problem as you have now, take a look at this site:

http://www.sammlerladen.ch/shop/eshop/index.php?p=22

Click on the button in front of „Grande Ringbinder & Kassette grün“ and you got the nicest solution for one set or 2 expansions :-)

For other super solutions just search on the website: http://www.sammlerladen.ch/shop/

My favourite is the Optima G Gross-Binder schwarz for a complete collection + all promo cards of this collection, for example Ice Age + Homelands + Alliances + Coldsnap + All promo’s of those sets fit in ONE binder.

Maybe I could help you, these binders are not ment for Magic, but they got 4 rings and the ordinary Ultra Pro Silver Sleeves fit perfectly. On top of that they look very nice in a row ;-) and do protect perfectly (also from light because of the binder-cover).

Chris
Hi, thanks for this info ;-)

Could you please post the direct link to this Optima G binder you mentioned? I'm kind of getting lost on the site (maybe my Swiss is not as good as my German :-D )

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:05 am

the MTG art sleeves are the same style and execution as the UP Art Gallery sleeves.

Stiffer than normal sleeves and quite tight on the card itself. I generally use Art Gallery for my T1 decks as they hold the cards tightly enough that they will not suffer damage from sliding around inside.

I'm also fairly impressed with the "Official" Tournament Sleeves, black w/ yellow logo. Somewhat slick, but shuffle and play nicely.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 am

Dilligaf wrote:the MTG art sleeves are the same style and execution as the UP Art Gallery sleeves.

Stiffer than normal sleeves and quite tight on the card itself. I generally use Art Gallery for my T1 decks as they hold the cards tightly enough that they will not suffer damage from sliding around inside.

I'm also fairly impressed with the "Official" Tournament Sleeves, black w/ yellow logo. Somewhat slick, but shuffle and play nicely.
Uh, isn't it like 4 am in Texas ? You should get some sleep !

equi-nox76

Binder favourite

Post by equi-nox76 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi,

Here’s the direct link to my favourite binder, that I use right now for my collection:

http://www.leuchtturm.de/epages/leuchtt ... og=C001092

This one is without the binder-cover (like the above mentioned one), but this binder has D-Rings and is 9 cm wide.

Chris

squt

Post by squt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:06 pm

Those are some really nice binders, but I like my magic sets to be in magic binders - call me crazy.

Right now I've been using some 2 inch D-rings I picked up at Target. I scan and slide in text and images from the appropriate set on the spine and cover, but I would prefer to not have to do that.

We'll see if they expand the line, and the size of the binders...

Squt

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:10 pm

ende73 wrote:Uh, isn't it like 4 am in Texas ? You should get some sleep !
Insomnia is a bitch.

So is World of Warcraft.

when thier powers combine....
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!