Wyvern-Backed Fallen Empires...what are my chances?

Poll regarding the Website, Members and MTG items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

What is the likelihood of opening a Wyvern-backed FE misprint from 100 sealed boxes?

At least one box will have misprints
10%
None of the boxes will have misprints
33%
You are retarded!
56%

Total votes: 39

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 am

If even one box had hit, I would have likely been looking at an 800% profit, if not more (plus had a set in my own collection to boot).

Yes, shipping was 2/3 of the total cost. 300 lbs of cards ain't cheap to ship apparently. My only hope is that some postal representative got a hernia from lifting the packages onto the truck.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Hernia

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 am

berkumps wrote:My only hope is that some postal representative got a hernia from lifting the packages onto the truck.
Laugh out loud!! :-P

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 am

berkumps wrote:So the opening is done, and suffice it to say, the majority of voters are correct. I am retarded! A close 2nd are the people that voted "None of the boxes will have misprints".

I suspect (although I thought this before I purchased the Wyvern boxes), that this error was regional similar to Summer Magic (which could explain why there is someone sitting on 6000 wyvern misprints).

I was just hoping to win the lottery!!! :-\'

Time to slowly bleed the remainder off on ebay ](*,) Anybody feel like taking up a new CCG?
Sorry to hear that, I guess you deserved some kind of reward for undertaking such an insane project.

On a side note, I was always wondering whether we could start a similar task as a community on MTG Revised booster boxes (hoping for Edgar).

We could build a group of 36 and buy all boxes we can find, so that each of us gets one pack from each box, and as soon as we hist Summer then "bang", 36 of us have 1 Edgar pack =D>

Obviously I'd volunteer to have all boxes shipped to me and then redistribute the packs :-\'

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 am

berkumps wrote:If even one box had hit, I would have likely been looking at an 800% profit, if not more (plus had a set in my own collection to boot).

Yes, shipping was 2/3 of the total cost. 300 lbs of cards ain't cheap to ship apparently. My only hope is that some postal representative got a hernia from lifting the packages onto the truck.
Where are the cards now ? 100 boxes must take a lot of room !

One question.... :-\' What did your girlfriend say about these ? :-k

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 am

You should have a complete set now :-D
Any Wyvern's black lotus ?
Last edited by yvel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Hello Yvel,

Don't know if you are joking (since you did not add :-D or :-P ) but Wyvern Backs are only for Fallen Empires.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 pm

We could build a group of 36 and buy all boxes we can find, so that each of us gets one pack from each box, and as soon as we hist Summer then "bang", 36 of us have 1 Edgar pack

I just opened a box of Revised this Wednesday and the only dual I pulled was an Underground. It was basically a free box for me but it was still a disappointment. Revised is the worst box you could open if you payed near market value, imo. That shoddy lackluster card quality only makes it worse...

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 am

I agree, I would never buy a revised booster or starter box to open, only if I wanted one sealed in my collection. If you pay anything near market value, you will lose money (unless you get one of those lucky starter deck boxes that has all rares).

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Can anyone who has either:

a) Opened some Wyvern FE misprints personally

OR

b) Personally witnessed somebody else opening Wyvern FE misprints

Confirm that if one starter deck in the box has them, they all do. Likewise, if one starter deck in the box DOES NOT have them, then NONE of them do.

I ask because at the moment, I have only opened 1 deck from each box to determine whether there were any misprints, and I'd hate to find out this strategy was flawed.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:47 pm

You might as well open them all... Is there even a market for that game? I'd imagine you'd lose very little $$$ selling opened Vs sealed. Of course you might catch people wanting to do what you were hoping to do. Of course you'd feel really stupid if they opened what you were hoping to open :wink: It's unlikely anybody here can answer your question without a doubt. You could always write to the guy who made that game and maybe he'd know. He was approachable as far as I've ever heard..

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:08 pm

Actually, 100 boxes takes up a lot less space than you might think. After opening 100 boxes of Chinese 5th Dawn, I had a small wall, double thick about 6 wide, against our bedroom's outside facing wall that came up just to the bottom of the windows.

Now the trash from them, that took up a ton of space...
He's just this guy, ya know?

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:11 am

Is Wyvern collectable at ALL? You probably have 30-40 full sets out of those boxes.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 am

1200 starter decks, 2 rares per deck = 2400 rares

30 rares per set

2400/30 = 80 sets provided collation cooperates.

Spent ~ $1200 getting all the boxes (including shipping which was 3x the product cost)

$1200/80 = $15/set to break even.

If you know 80 people willing to spend $15 on a set, let me know :wink:

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:05 am

Gryfalia wrote:Actually, 100 boxes takes up a lot less space than you might think. After opening 100 boxes of Chinese 5th Dawn, I had a small wall, double thick about 6 wide, against our bedroom's outside facing wall that came up just to the bottom of the windows.

Now the trash from them, that took up a ton of space...
Well, if you have a complete set of foils 5th Dawn, I would be interested. I think that with 100 boxes, you must have them all...

P.S. : may I ask why you bought 100 boxes of 5th dawn (Mark you're not the only one to be mentally ...beep...)

Ihateworking
Legendary Weakness Collector

Post by Ihateworking » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Sorry to reanimate an old thread but I'm still curious about these...

Are there any documented cases of Fallen Empires being pulled out of the limited edition starters? If so was it just 1 card in a deck, a few cards, a whole deck? Even a whole starter box?

Did they found in common slots, rare slots or uncommon slots?

Was it definitely in starter boxes? Was it definitely in the premiere set??

When I mentioned earlier I had heard of them being pulled out of fallen empires packs I cant verify that. I read it on one of the mtg forums from some site(dont remember which), it was years ago though and it's been the only account I have heard of... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

EDIT:
here is one claim I found mentioning it in motl, he claims they were in a regular FE pack, please note this is a post different from that which I originally read.

http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022981.html