8th Edition Art Re-Cropped

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

rick21n

8th Edition Art Re-Cropped

Post by rick21n » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:22 pm

OK so a buddy and I were comparing 7th and 8th ed Art the other day.  Things like Serra and Shivan that were in both sets.  Seems that WOTC gave us a larger ART format in 8th yet cropped it vertically.  Easiest way we were describing it was wide-screen.  If you look at the Shivan's wing on the bottom you only get one of the spines in 8th where 3 exist in 7th.

Just an FYI if nobody had noticed.

motorcitymagic

Re: 8th Edition Art Re-Cropped

Post by motorcitymagic » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:42 pm

That makes perfect sense. WotC commissions artwork to specific size (height and width) requirements. The new art boxes have a different ratio, so some cropping has to be done when they re-use older art.

At least we don't have black bars along the side (like wide-format movies on standard TVs) :)

Allen6264

Post by Allen6264 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:52 am

Or even worse, they could have stretched the pictures horizontally.  :P

guru

Post by guru » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:01 pm

they did same for the 8th wrath close up of the explosion(btw the invasion wheatfield picture in 8th looks great foiled like a mini wrath in background)

bradleyjx

Post by bradleyjx » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:57 pm

The best art to look at for this is Coat of Arms. Instead of doing something to the art, they put a computer-generated border around the ends.

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:59 am

You want to see stretched horizontally? Take a look at Choking Vines.  :P

Crazyx

Post by Crazyx » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:55 pm

You should look at the 8th BOP. They altered the art. The painted the tips of the wing black and his head is darker. The artist didnt know about this until he saw the card

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:01 pm

I think it would be an interesting project to review all 8th Ed cards' artwork versus previous artwork and denote all differences.  I still am in need of quite a few rares to finish my set, so if anyone else has a full set, feel free to get started checking.