Magic Action Figures

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii

Magic Action Figures

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:14 am

I'm not sure if this has come up yet or not. Hasbro is releasing 6 Magic action figures in November. I have a full page ad with pictures of all 6 that I will try to scan. The figures are:

Serra Angel
Ernham Djinn
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Sengir Vampire
Lord of Atlantis

Each comes packaged with a random 8th Edition card.
They look pretty cool.

silver.paladin

Re: Magic Action Figures

Post by silver.paladin » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:38 am

l0qii wrote:I'm not sure if this has come up yet or not. Hasbro is releasing 6 Magic action figures in November. I have a full page ad with pictures of all 6 that I will try to scan. The figures are:

Serra Angel
Ernham Djinn
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Sengir Vampire
Lord of Atlantis

Each comes packaged with a random 8th Edition card.
They look pretty cool.
I have heard about this.  I do not want the action figure myself, but I would like to know if the Kamahl card will look any different than the normal 8th Ed card.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:12 am

It says that the cards are random, so you probably won't even get the card of the figure you bought.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:20 pm

Does it mention any price?  knowing them It'll be too much

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:30 pm

Does anyone know the size of the figures are they small like the ones from Japan

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:22 pm

I'll try to get a scan in. It doesn't mention a price or a size, but I could find out. The picture has them standing on a card, and if that is to scale, then they are pretty small.

rick21n

Post by rick21n » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:40 pm

The Original thing i saw in Inquest (I think) had them roughly the size of a normal action figure (GI Joe or Star Wars).  They would stand at 4 inches give or take scale.  

Here are pictures
http://previews.diamondcomics.com/produ ... ering.html

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:47 pm

rick21n wrote:The Original thing i saw in Inquest (I think) had them roughly the size of a normal action figure (GI Joe or Star Wars).  They would stand at 4 inches give or take scale.  

Here are pictures
http://previews.diamondcomics.com/produ ... ering.html
Hi Rick.
Can you get more infos on This  :o
Each figures comes with an exclusive Magic card! Blister card packaging.
I like the word exclusive and Blister Card packaging  ;)

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:26 am

does anyone know where theese are going to be sold. gaming stores or do you think at places like toys-r-us

rick21n

Post by rick21n » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:33 am

Here is another link, this time from WOTC.  Funny they mention random 7th ed cards.  It's copmletely outdated as the initial plans were for Fall2002.  

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/26

A Online Place to "Order" them from

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... =HM34500AA

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:00 am

They should be available at any comic or gaming store, as they are distributed though Diamond. Rick21n posted their web link, and the add I saw was in their actual catalog. They don't have a price listed, but that other site said $59.99 for the set of 6. That's not so bad. I'm REALLY curious to know whether these will come with unique cards unavailable otherwise, or if it's like the ad I saw says, and it will be a "random 8th edition card".

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:34 am

If it's a random card, I could care less.  If it's some sort of alternate art or special foil, I'd have to buy the silly things.

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:04 am

bigfatkitty wrote:If it's a random card, I could care less.  If it's some sort of alternate art or special foil, I'd have to buy the silly things.
I agree with you FatKitty, that is exactly the way I am looking at this.  Once the first few figurines are sold and somebody somewhere announces what card(s) they got, then I will know if I will ?waste? money on one of these, as it is only the one card I want, if, of course there is only 1 alt Red card available.
I am assuming that the card that comes with the figurine will be the card of the character itself.

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:57 am

Grrr on WotC

More crap on the market... some of those look nice/decent. But the Lord of Atlantis? Talk about just plain bad. I mean, the newer the cards, the less charm they seem to have, in addition to the lack of value the newer cards have (minus some promos/prizes) compared to the fast rising value of older cards.

I think many of us would make better WotC exec's, hehe. I mean, a NICE quality pewter figure of key charactors would sell for a TON of money, and they would be nice to collect. These are just "toys" and appear as though marketed to 10 year olds. Sigh.

So many bad decisions by them lately :-\

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:15 am

tenacious_dyl wrote:Grrr on WotC

More crap on the market... some of those look nice/decent. But the Lord of Atlantis? Talk about just plain bad. I mean, the newer the cards, the less charm they seem to have, in addition to the lack of value the newer cards have (minus some promos/prizes) compared to the fast rising value of older cards.

I think many of us would make better WotC exec's, hehe. I mean, a NICE quality pewter figure of key charactors would sell for a TON of money, and they would be nice to collect. These are just "toys" and appear as though marketed to 10 year olds. Sigh.

So many bad decisions by them lately :-\
What the big surprise about this?  Have you been involved in Dungeons & Dragons?  Or the books?  The way WOTC/Hasbro is doing the books now is driving me crazy.  They are bringing out less new books that TSR ever did, but they are bringing out just as many titles each month.  How?  By constantly reprinting books instead of new books.  Some months there are now 2 or 3 reprints coming out.
It seems most days that WOTC/Hasbro execs has no real idea what is happening in the real world. Books is a primary example.  Going to the bookstores now, they have so much extra stock because they are buying the reprints (not realizing they are reprints) and people are not buying these reprinted books, and bookstores are not understanding why their books are not selling as well as they did 2-3 years ago.