Identifying Forests

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

clanmackay

Identifying Forests

Post by clanmackay » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to compile a list of every basic Forest ever printed, and was hoping a wizard among you could help me with a couple of questions.

1) How do you tell the difference between Traditional and Simplified Chinese Forests?  This could be very easy, I don't know.  A picture of each would help.   I gather that 树林 (don't know how to get that to show up in the forum) is the Simplifed Chinese name.  Is that also the Traditional Chinese name?  If not, could someone type it out for me?

2) Is there anyway to tell white bordered 3rd Edition German and Italian Forests from their 4th Edition counterparts?  I know that http://members.rogers.com/allendensen/c ... /revv4.htm says they are the same, but is there something really arcane, like cardstock or UV fluorescense or gloss?

3) Are these the correct foreign language names (got them through Babelfish)?

Portuguese: Floresta
Japanese: 森林
Korean: 숲

I believe Forêt, Wald, Foresta, and Bosque are the FR, DE, IT, and ES names, respectively.

Thanks ever so much.

rg

Re: Identifying Forests

Post by rg » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:18 pm

2)
One thing would be to open the starters of both editions so you will know for sure ;)
It is easy to distinguish those languages by an 'i' in the cardname so it will be hard for "Wald"

3)
english:            Forest
german:                Wald
italien:              Foresta
french:              Forêt
spanish:           Bosque
portuguese:      Floresta

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:28 pm

You might find my my Checklist Generator helpful. It says there are 942 unique forest cards.

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:50 am

l0qii wrote:You might find my my Checklist Generator helpful. It says there are 942 unique forest cards.
Wow! That tool rocks!! Congrats!

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:19 am

l0qii wrote:You might find my my Checklist Generator helpful. It says there are 942 unique forest cards.
Pretty handy, though it's still missing a few things, like foreign Rivals.  There were a few other languages where Rivals was printed with 1996 copyright dates while 4th was 1995.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:32 am

flatmatt wrote: Pretty handy, though it's still missing a few things, like foreign Rivals.  There were a few other languages where Rivals was printed with 1996 copyright dates while 4th was 1995.
What other languages was Rivals printed in? http://www.magiclibrary.net/sets-beginner-sets.html shows it only in english.

Also, if anyone else sees anything missing from it, LMK, and I'll work on fixing it.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:38 am

also magiccards.info will show you card any or all card name translations in english, french, spanish, german, italian and portuguese depending on what boxes you check on the preferences page.

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:46 am

A pretty handy tool. I will add it to the Links section.

I confirm that the non-English cards from the Introductory Two-Player Game (the European answer to the Quick Start Set) from the Starter 2000 2 Player Starter Set are missing. In addition, cards from the Anthologies, Battle Royale, Beatdown, and Deckmasters box set are missing the artist or do not have an entry at all.

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:07 am

Also, if this is geared toward "collect all of 'em" collectors, you might consider adding Pro Tour and World Championship decks.  I am impressed to see oversized and other promos on there, though.

Edit: And yes, I meant the Two-Player Starter Set mentioned above, even though it's not technically Rivals.  I call it Rivals on my website just to keep it shorter.

alotenor2

Post by alotenor2 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:18 am

The checklist generator is a great tool but it has some errors with S.Chinese Fifth Edition.  S.Chinese Fifth Edition only has 350 cards and some of those have alternate art.  Your checklist generator needs to take out the cards that don't exist (e.g., Drudge Skeletons and Lord of the Pit) and list the correct artist on the alternate art cards (e.g., Drew Tucker instead of Doug Keith on Ashes to Ashes).  The artist information is available on the Rarities Site:

http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities-si ... inese.html

The information on which cards were left out is available at the following link:

http://members.rogers.com/cards3/magic/trade/5thb.htm

Credit to Allen Densen and The Swiss for providing this information.

rick21n

Post by rick21n » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:20 am

I didn't see Alternate Fourth Edition.  Is it missing for a reason?

clanmackay

Post by clanmackay » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Thanks to everyone so far.  That checklist generator is very helpful.

I have a first draft of a graphical checklist of the forests.  I think I've gotten them all.

I don't know anything about which art is used on which World Championship deck card, so the checklist has a box for every Forest in the deck (e.g., 14 check boxes for Matt Linde's 1999 deck.)

I thought it might be useful to someone, so I'm posting a link: http://www.mcgees.org/Forests.doc (12MB)

I still would like some help learning how to distinguish between Simplified and Traditional Chinese Forests, if anyone knows.

Thanks!

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:57 pm

I actually don't have a S-Chinese forest, or I'd scan them to show you the difference. As far as I know there's only 2 dif forests in the Linde 99 World Champ deck. One has 6th Edition Quentin Hoover art, the other has Tempest Douglas Shuler art. But I don't actually own these either so I can't check. I think that info was available on WotC website, but their site seems to be broken ATM.

To everyone: thanks for the feedback on the tool. I changed the name of Rivals to 1996 Two-Player Set, added the extra languages, added extra languages for Starter 2000, added all the Battle Royale and Deckamster cards, and fixed some other little things. Any further input, pls PM me.

The new total number of forest cards is: 968

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:02 pm

I can get you a scan of a T-Chinese and a Japanese forest, and (by process of elimination) if it is neither, it must be S.  I'll let you know when I have the scan ready.

clanmackay

Post by clanmackay » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:55 pm

The total number on the checklist, by the way, is 953 not counting the World Championship decks and 109 World Championship Forests (with probable repetition among the latter.)

Edit:  Oh, whoops, I missed your follow-up post.  I had mislabeled a Battle Royale Forest as Anthologies.  I didn't include the 14 Starter 2000 Forests, because they are supposedly indistinguishable from Sixth Edition.  Same with the 7th Ed. Starter Forests.  So to do the sums, 953 plus 12 Starter 2000 Forests plus 36 7th Ed. Starter is 1001.

Taking your 968 and adding:

* 2 extra Beatdown
* 1 extra Anthologies
* 3 alternate 4th
* 10 1996 2-player set

and subtracting off the 2 World Champ. Forests that I'm counting separately gives 982.  That seems to imply that my list has 19 Forests that yours is missing, but I haven't figured out what they are yet.