ninjas and ninjitsu

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry_cereal

Re: ninjas and ninjitsu

Post by dry_cereal » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:43 am

so I could return a ninjitsu, put a ninjitzu into play, then do it again  :P

squt

Post by squt » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:19 am

No, because the ninja wouldn't be in your hand when you activated it the second time.

squt

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:39 am

no, I'm saying you have 2 ninjitsu creatures.  My question is, can I do this more than once per attack with only 1 attacker.

misterpid

Post by misterpid » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:53 am

If you have the following in play:

Ninja of the Deep Hours (attacking and unblocked)
2 Birds of Paradise
Intruder Alarm

And a Ninja of the Deep Hours in hand,

You should be able to use the Ninjitsu ability as many times as you'd like.  If you also have a Prodigal Sorcerer in play, you can use the him to ping your opponent(s) each time you use the Ninjitsu ability until they are dead.

psrex

Post by psrex » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:27 am

This does not work.  Comes into play triggers do not go off when a creature is put into play.

Intruder Alaram says:

Creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap steps.
Whenever a creature comes into play, untap all creatures.

The rules say:

Put into play:  If an effect instructs a player to put an object into play, that object is not considered "played".

Played items use the stack (except for land).

misterpid

Post by misterpid » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:13 am

Hmmm...

I used to have a deck that used Hell's Caretaker like this.

According to "Ask the Judge" on StarCity's site, the tokens from a Deranged Hermit (which are put into play) will trigger Intruder Alarm.

Also, from the rules:

Comes into Play
A permanent comes into play when the card or token representing it is moved into the in-play zone.

I agree that the action of putting the card into play doesn't initiate a stack the way casting a spell would, but I think that the effect of the creature coming into play triggers the Intruder Alarm.

Obviously judges will have to deal with these types of situations more often than they probably want to when this set comes out.  I'm glad I'm not a judge - they definitely earn all the promo cards they get.

psrex

Post by psrex » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:36 am

The rules have changed so much since Hell's Caretaker was in vogue.  I'm sure that your deck worked at the time.  I don't know if it would work now or not.  I periodically try to improve my rules knowledge, but there's still enough that I don't know or get confused about, such as the Hermit tokens and Intruder Alarm.  Judge! (waves arms wildly)

misterpid

Post by misterpid » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:29 am

I'm right there with you as far as keeping up with everything goes.  Pretty much the only way I find out how stuff works now is to see how it works on MTGO, and hope that there aren't any bugs involved.

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:49 am

psrex wrote:This does not work.  Comes into play triggers do not go off when a creature is put into play.

Intruder Alaram says:

Creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap steps.
Whenever a creature comes into play, untap all creatures.

The rules say:

Put into play:  If an effect instructs a player to put an object into play, that object is not considered "played".

Played items use the stack (except for land).
I don't know where your getting that idea, but it most certainly DOES trigger.  It definitely does come into play.

psrex

Post by psrex » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:13 am

It's entirely possible that I'm thinking of the difference between something being played (such as Phage) and put into play and confusing it with the issue at hand.  Maybe there is no difference between something coming into play and being put in play.  ??? ??? ???

Mr.C

Post by Mr.C » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:39 am

psrex wrote:It's entirely possible that I'm thinking of the difference between something being played (such as Phage) and put into play and confusing it with the issue at hand.  Maybe there is no difference between something coming into play and being put in play.  ??? ??? ???
Not in this case. The game doesn´t care from WHERE it came, as long as it came into play.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:44 am

collecting is so much easier than playing  :-/

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:32 am

dry_cereal wrote:collecting is so much easier than playing  :-/
indeed.  Though I enjoy both, and need to study for the judge's exam....

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:18 am

when you're a judge, will you let me cheat?  or at least badger my opponent?

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:20 am

dry_cereal wrote:when you're a judge, will you let me cheat?  or at least badger my opponent?
Depends on how many FBLs you contribute that day...  ;)

j/k