Numbering system on Unhinged Promos

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

MagicRumorMill

Numbering system on Unhinged Promos

Post by MagicRumorMill » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:49 pm

Does anyone understand and can explain to me the numbering system on the unhinged promos?

Also, why is it not on the magic library promo section yet?

flatmatt

Re: Numbering system on Unhinged Promos

Post by flatmatt » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:35 pm

Circle of Protection : Art    9/8 A04 is
Mise    10/8 A04 This
Booster Tutor    11/8 A04 completely
Goblin Mime    12/8 A04 message
Granny's Payback    13/8 A04 secret
Ashnod's Coupon    14/8 A04 different

They're in order by color.  If you're asking why they're 9-14 of 8, well, it's Unhinged.  They don't need a reason! :)

They're not on the site yet either because Ralph hasn't received a high-resolution scan of them, or (much more likely), they're coming in the impending huge site update.

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:41 pm

That helps alot.  thank you, I was not sure by the numbering system if i was missing any.

Also, how often is the site updated?

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:00 pm

Generally, the site's been updated whenever there was something to add or change, which could be a few times a week.  As far as actually adding scans of cards, that's pretty much exclusively dependent on how early contributers are able to access them.  Sometimes scans are available a week or two before the cards are available to the public (as is often the case for FNM cards or Prerelease cards), other times they're received the day they're released, or shortly afterwards.  I know I've contributed a couple of scans for prerelease cards and an FNM card only after the card has been available to the public, and they've been the first ones in.  After the image is submitted, Ralph usually has the scan up within a couple days.

However, since Ralph's been working on the big overhaul, the updates slowed and eventually stopped in late November.  The big update should rock when it comes online, which sounds pretty soon from what I read in another thread!

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:14 pm

on that note, anyone know how many "big updates" Ralph has done?

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:13 pm

flatmatt wrote:They're not on the site yet either because Ralph hasn't received a high-resolution scan of them, or (much more likely), they're coming in the impending huge site update.
Hi Flatmatt  :)
Ralph has the Scans since Day one  ;)
They should be on the Website anytime now as well as others  :)

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:09 pm

If i'm not mistakin this will be the second since this site started. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong though lol

victorcamp

Post by victorcamp » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:45 pm

As the above Forum members have mentioned, large updates take a long time. I think Sylvanstu is correct that there's been one other major update to the Magic Rarities section since Ralph took the site over from Bob Flaminio. There's also been a major update of the Magic Sets section more recently. Ralph said we could possibly see the Rarities update this weekend, though I suspect he at least wants it done before the end of the year. After the big update is done, minor additions will happen on a more timely basis.

Ralph's aim is to make this a comprehensive and authoritive site: The place to go for info on non-standard Magic. You're doing an excellent job, Ralph. Keep up the good work. [smiley=ok.gif]

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:44 pm

What could make this site more complete than just some updates?

Does this site not already have the most complete information on the net on odd magic?

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:47 am

i think that the primary goal of these updates isn't to update the site (i mean, they do that, but the bulk of the updates only come after the fact) but to make it better organized and easier to find things...

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:52 am

I am always trying to keep the site up-to-date, but of course my amount of time is limited (I used to have more half a year ago). My general approach is to switch between different areas of this website hence and forth in order to keep progress balanced on a broad scale. Regarding single updates, I do not work on a strict chronological basis, and a lot of elements influence my decision what to do next, things like the amount of data on hold, its general importance, its required time to be publishable etc. Another factor is my personal excitement. I rather work on something I am anxious about than on something which bores me. Nonetheless, in the end, everything will be added, and try to keep a balance between exciting and necessary work.

As for the current situation, the reason why there have not been any updates for Magic Rarities for some time is that once in a while, between all the smaller, content-driven updates, I add in a structural "big" update. I call them big, because of the time they require. This does not necessarily mean that they appear big. There are lots of purely technical issues which devour much time, yet they are invisible to the visitor of the website. Nonetheless they are necessary to keep the basic structure of the website uniform.

So what is to expect from the next "big" update? Not that much, just some more content and lots of details I wanted to address in one sweep: Two very outdated sections will finally receive treatment, tables will be easier to read, internal link navigation will be improved, dates will be truly international, a few images and logos will be added, a few texts will be updated, one category and one subcategory will be split etc. After that, a series of content updates will follow (Unhinged, judge rewards, Hong Kong Club tokens, more Portal cards etc.)

Ralph Herold

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:10 am

TerraFrost, sylvanstu: The last "big" update was the revision of Magic Card Sets.

victorcamp:  :)

MagicRumorMill: This website will never be complete as long as new items appear. Furthermore, I still have enough ideas on how to improve this website that I can work on them for years.

TerraFrost: This is correct. In the past,  I reported news, today I merely preserve news. There are two reasons:
1. The forum has become the primary way to share news, they are no longer reported to me in advance (exceptions exist of course).
2. I do a lot less research than I used to in the past due to time constraints and lack of explorable terrain.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:14 am

Keep up the fantasic work, Ralph.

I have noticed, even in the year and a half I've been on here, that this site gets referred too more & more often.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:17 am

fvzappa wrote:Keep up the fantasic work, Ralph.

I have noticed, even in the year and a half I've been on here, that this site gets referred too more & more often.
The site is quite excellent.  I would never have been able to complete my promos collection if not for this site.  (as a matter of fact, they are in my binders in the same order as they are placed on the site, so i can easily find what I am missing :))

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:58 am

cele,

I ditto your remarks

I would not have been able to finish my promos without this site, and mine is in the same order too.  even when I see a card has been alphabetized in, i move all down with it

I love this site