When did everyone start playing M:TG?

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fvzappa

Re: When did everyone start playing M:TG?

Post by fvzappa » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:00 am

axios wrote: maybe a stupid comment, but

Legends/4th edition???

how is that possible?

Legends came around during the printing of revised.

i think there was almost a year and a half (please correct me if i'm wrong!!!) between legend and fourth edition.

i
Yea, you are right, sort of. Legends came out after Revised, but before 4th. I don't think there were other sets inbetween (English anyways). So, a simpler way of saying it is "at the end of Revised".

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:25 am

fvzappa wrote:
Yea, you are right, sort of. Legends came out after Revised, but before 4th. I don't think there were other sets inbetween (English anyways). So, a simpler way of saying it is "at the end of Revised".
Actually Legends, The Dark and Fallen Empires were all released between Revised and 4th Edition. The spoilers on WotC website all have the release dates in them.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:55 am

l0qii wrote:
Actually Legends, The Dark and Fallen Empires were all released between Revised and 4th Edition. The spoilers on WotC website all have the release dates in them.
l0qii is right about the release dates.  Look in each spoiler section here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ma ... /cardlists

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:37 pm

stupidly in the fall of 93 when the guys at my local gaming store tryed to talk me into trying the game I said no.Later the next summer in june or july one of the guys from our D+D group was putting theese cool cards into binders while we were playing. I was hooked right away after putting all the sets together from unlimited torevised my wife had a fit on all the money I spent on theese cards.So it was either her or the cards ( I made the wrong choice)  Her little brother played so I gave all my cards to him for graduation. well in 1999 my wife and I divorced I started hanging at my buddies gaming store now 3 and a half years later I have all the sets from unlimited to present day complete and last year when I found the old sight I started collecting some of the rarities. did I say some I mean most of them I'm having a hard time getting 6x9 cards at a reasonable price though

Thrond

Post by Thrond » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:40 pm

1994 - Between The Dark and Beta french edition.

Ahhhh it was the time of Black Lotuses beta mint, for 2000 francs (around 300 $)... *sob sob*

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:56 pm

thrond wrote:1994 - Between The Dark and Beta french edition.

Ahhhh it was the time of Black Lotuses beta mint, for 2000 francs (around 300 $)... *sob sob*
Hi Thrond.
I know,I let pass all the Mint Moxes at 800/1000Francs
(120/140$)at that time  :'(

bigfatkitty

Post by bigfatkitty » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:26 pm

I started in June of 1994.  I had no idea what Legends was and didn't pick any up.  I thought Ironroot Treefolk was the coolest card ever!  Still do too.

summermagicman

Post by summermagicman » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:18 am

I started playing during Beta and Arabian Nights in 1993. I was lucky enough to buy Arabian packs for $20 a piece at the time. Which, by the way, I thought was a rip. Those were the days!

giediprime41

Post by giediprime41 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:50 am

End of '93.
Unlimited had just come out.

A friend of mine owned a comic shop and picked up a couple of boosters of beta at a con. in the state. (FLA.)
He gave me a booster and i was hooked!

He ordered a box of unlimited boosters and starters for the store. (you could only order one of each back then)
They lasted for three hours! But he held a starter and a couple boosters for me.
I got my first mox that day. ;D

After that it was crazy! All my friends were all hooked on this game, but there was no cards to buy.

I remember trading my first unlimited ancestral recall.
The shop would give me only twenty five bucks!!!
Icy Manipulators were worth more than ancestral recalls!!! :o
So i traded it to a kid for a butt load of Revised cards!!
MAN, thoes were the good ole' days!! :D
Darren

ende73

Post by ende73 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:42 am

I started in March/April 1994.

I was both a player and a collector, and was luckily quick enough to realize I should start grabbing the Power cards (I remember buying my Beta Moxen at about $120-140, the Lotus at $200) and the whole Beta Set (the Duals at about $15-20 each  ;D).

I became a very heavy trader and made lots of money since I was one of the very few Italian players to surf the net regularly (used to buy on Newsgroups at the time!)

I then slowed down between the release of Invasion and Onsalught (picked up all the sets later, though), and am now in full gear again (depending on how much time I'll be able to spare due to my newly-born child, that is)

Treesock

Post by Treesock » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:50 am

I'm probably one of the newest players here, guessing from the rest of the thread.

Anyways, my story goes a bit like this: Some amount of years ago, I made this friend at a summer camp and we traded letters/phonecalls for a while. One day, I remember receiving a box (which I now recall as an Urza's somethingorother theme deck box) with Magic cards in them. I was fascinated by the art, and would spend a lot of time looking through the cards.

(I seem to remember Cat Warriors and Chub Toad, so I know it just wasn't an Urza's somethingorother deck)

Then I lost the box. Magic receded into the back of my mind, etc etc etc.

Fast forward to 2002 -- my freshman year at high school. I joined the school's sf/fantasy club, saw people playing Magic, and my mind made the connection.

I bought a deck as soon as I could scrounge up the money.

Last year, shortly after the release of Mirrodin, I lost interest in the game.

Now I'm at a new school, with a new group of friends to play with, and with no signs of stopping. As for the cards I own, I think I have a smattering of something from almost every recent set, with a few older cards here and there.

Nothing worth any money, though.

And I never found that deck box that got me into this all in the first place, though I do look every now and then.

It's probably in my closet somewhere.  :-X

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:37 am

Wow.  I never posted in this thread.  Back in 1993, around Beta, my cousin started playing (he is 2 days older than me, we were 9 at the time).  He showed me how to play, and we played regularly, but I didn't get around to actually buying cards of my own until Chronicles (and i've been trying to fill in the sets I missed ever since).  I collected and played on and off for a while, never really missing any sets, but never buying that much either, with one exception:  I bought a great deal of Mirage, especially starters.  My cousin stopped playing around this time.  For the next few years, i bought a few packs and precon decks here and there, until Invasion came around, and then I bought packs almost every week.  I kept buying Invasion block packs, when I could, up until around when Torment was released, and I started drafting weekly, and attending tournaments.  Up until this time, I played mostly with 2 friends that played, and during the summer.

Jacob_Sendor

Post by Jacob_Sendor » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:39 am

WOW! you guys have been playin 4 a while!well lets see what was yesterday O yea! i started playing dec 24 2004.  i know that was like only a day or 2 but i am already hooked on the game.  This game is soooo awsome!  O i was goin to buy 2 theme(or whatever u call them) decks.  Iwas wonderin if u guys could probally tell me ur favorite deck for each color?

silver.paladin

Post by silver.paladin » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:47 am

jacob_sendor wrote:WOW! you guys have been playin 4 a while!well lets see what was yesterday O yea! i started playing dec 24 2004.  i know that was like only a day or 2 but i am already hooked on the game.  This game is soooo awsome!  O i was goin to buy 2 theme(or whatever u call them) decks.  Iwas wonderin if u guys could probally tell me ur favorite deck for each color?
It all depends on the basic theme that you would enjoy most.  In a nutshell, I would break it down as:
Blue - primarily counters opponents spells, oceanic creatures
Green - small and mid0sized creatures, growth spells
Black - primarily death based spells and destroying lands, lots of zombieish like creatures
White - primarily protection and healing spells, lots of small creatures
Red - DESTRUCTION, destroy creatures and lands, creatures like dwarves and especially goblins

You also have Lands beyond the basic mana creating that can do special effects.
Also, there are artifacts, which can be used to help enhance any color.  They can work well all by themselves, but I think it is how they can enhance other cards that are the Artifacts greatest ability.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:43 pm

jacob_sendor wrote:WOW! you guys have been playin 4 a while!well lets see what was yesterday O yea! i started playing dec 24 2004.  i know that was like only a day or 2 but i am already hooked on the game.  This game is soooo awsome!  O i was goin to buy 2 theme(or whatever u call them) decks.  Iwas wonderin if u guys could probally tell me ur favorite deck for each color?
First off, welcome to the world of Magic the Gathering (M:TG)!  Instead of getting everyone elses opinions on what to play, as this will vary, why don't you look at what cards you have or have played with.  Then decide which ones you seem to like the best based on color and then get a deck of that color type.  This way you yourself will have picked what deck you like to play.  

Also some advice for starting off.  Don't expect to win a lot of games first off as you might be making some mistakes in playing cards at the wrong time you forgetting to do stuff.  Becoming a better player is all about learning through experience, and although it might be a little rough at first, stick with it and learn from any mistakes made and you will become a far better player for it.  

My personal fav color starting off was red as it had a card called Lightning Bolt in it when I first started and I am a big fan of Lightning (I collect artwork of it).