Foil Filler & Fake Foils

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berserk

Re: A GOOD RIP-OFF and 3 FOOLS

Post by berserk » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:57 am

The main reason i want to do this is because i saw some altered lands a while ago and i thought they looked really cool. So its only for personal reasons really.
They look nice when playing with them and it makes the deck stand out!

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:04 pm

when you have it in your hands, how will you be able to tell if it's real?

dragsamou

Post by dragsamou » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:02 pm

erl00 wrote:Dudes ...

Do you really think I'm that fool?

Those of you who have already tried acetone on a card or who have already purchased one of these fakes must know that this action is quite impossible to perform without damaging the borders of the card on the back. This one is MINT on the back.

Second, is a white filler has been placed on a slot of a rare sheet of one set, the same sheet with the same filler is used to produce the rare foils of this set, isn't it? So Foil Fillers must exist.

Third, I know this seller has extremely good connections with people at WotC. He does not seem to me to be the guy to sell fakes.

Conclusion, I believe this card to be genuine and I hoped that everyone would think like you and that I could get this one cheap (my max bid was at $12).

Eric.
Hi Eric.
I have a Foil Card and the Back is Perfect,and it's a Fake,I show it to you already.Now,I agree with you that Foil Filler exists
http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities-test-other.html
 But to buy this Card on the Internet is like Gambling
since,you can't be sure 100% that's a Real Foil Filler Card and 27$ for a Fake one is way to much  ;)

Erl00

Post by Erl00 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:55 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Hi Eric.
I have a Foil Card and the Back is Perfect,and it's a Fake,I show it to you already.Now,I agree with you that Foil Filler exists
http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities-test-other.html
 But to buy this Card on the Internet is like Gambling
since,you can't be sure 100% that's a Real Foil Filler Card and 27$ for a Fake one is way to much  ;)
I remember you showed me a fake foil filler with borders damaged on the back.

I agree that purchasing this type of card on the Net is like gmbling. However, I detailed my points previously. I know this seller has very good contacts within WotC, so I don't belive he has fake cards.
I wouldn't have bid if it were from someone else.

Regards,
Eric.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:53 pm

That's really cool Eric, but if you can't tell the difference between a fake and the real deal, why bother getting the fake?  Maybe if you look carefully you will be able to see the shooting star thing on the real filler?  

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:30 am

Rip-Off or not, I have seen people able to transfer the foil sheeting onto other cards.  I have seen foil dual lands and a foil fake Black Lotus done this way.  I am not sure how this process is done.  I just know that it is faked.  However, if white cards exist, then since foils are just foil versions of the regular cards, I suspect that these cards do indeed exist.  Since Eric did his homework, I suspect his $12 bid was justified.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:09 am

I'm sure he appreciates your approval  :P
Anyway, yeah, taking off the foil is easy, it just peals off like a sticker.  I just made a foil gargantuan gorilla.

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:18 pm

I also think that being able to peel a foil sheet off a card and transfer it forced WOTC to modify their promo cards.  Otherwise counterfeits would be abound.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:45 am

dry_cereal wrote:I'm sure he appreciates your approval  :P
Anyway, yeah, taking off the foil is easy, it just peals off like a sticker.  I just made a foil gargantuan gorilla.
yeah, its certainly very easy to do, but i hate to rip-off people
-unless i hate those people, then i love to rip-off :D

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:15 am

run by me real quick how that rips someone off please.  All it does for me is ruin the card.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:38 am

dry_cereal wrote:run by me real quick how that rips someone off please.  All it does for me is ruin the card.
well, if your very good at it, you can get the foil part of a guilty conscience, and put it onto a birds, if someone isnt paying that much attention(lets say you sell the foil birds for $50) he is too happy and wont notice it right away :D

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:33 am

that's impossible.  I dont know people that dumb...or do I...
Thanks for the tip...all I need now is to find a monkey with 50 bucks.

No really, you'd have to put it in a REALLY thick case, and smear it with vaseline, and force the guy to buy it.

Vilan

Post by Vilan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:12 pm

Does the foil sticky part include the black borders? If not, your buyer might wonder where you found a white-bordered foil Birds.  Of course he might not think of it, or even pay more for such a rare "misprint".  ::)

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:07 am

yes, it includes the borders, but it also curls up and doesn't come off too easy, and I have never gotten one off perfectly.  Ignoring these things, the problem I see with the issue is that you need to cut out the foil that will cover the p/t and the name of the card, and the expansion, and the casting cost.  Those areas are pretty obvious and I dont see how you'd fool someone like that.  I think the idea is to put it in a case so he never feels the thing, and then excite him alot.  Anyway, this definately can't be done with the 8th foils because when you cut out the area for the text, that area wont be foily.  Also, when you cut out the text box for the other foils, the star gets cut.  So there are tons of obstacles.  That's why I say unless you stuck the foil to a banana, not even a monkey would buy it...but considering the mtg players I have seen around...you never know.  Odds are they'd catch you and smack you around with a dream chisel.

Lord_of_Llanowar

Post by Lord_of_Llanowar » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:22 am

dry_cereal wrote:yes, it includes the borders, but it also curls up and doesn't come off too easy, and I have never gotten one off perfectly.  Ignoring these things, the problem I see with the issue is that you need to cut out the foil that will cover the p/t and the name of the card, and the expansion, and the casting cost.  Those areas are pretty obvious and I dont see how you'd fool someone like that.  I think the idea is to put it in a case so he never feels the thing, and then excite him alot.  Anyway, this definately can't be done with the 8th foils because when you cut out the area for the text, that area wont be foily.  Also, when you cut out the text box for the other foils, the star gets cut.  So there are tons of obstacles.  That's why I say unless you stuck the foil to a banana, not even a monkey would buy it...but considering the mtg players I have seen around...you never know.  Odds are they'd catch you and smack you around with a dream chisel.
i aint saying it is smart to do, just saying its possible.