Little white "dot" on back of Magic cards

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry_cereal

Little white "dot" on back of Magic cards

Post by dry_cereal » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:41 am

does anyone else hate that little white mark thing on the upper left corner of magic card backs (not on the border itself, on the brown part.)  Man I hate that thing.  Anyone have any cards without that?  I'd pay a premium.

felagund

Re: gripe

Post by felagund » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:53 am

Now that you mention it, I will start hating it...  ;D
It does stand out quite a lot when you look at it closely!

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:26 am

I never even noticed it before. Now it stands out though.

fvzappa

Post by fvzappa » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:29 am

Ugh... I always wondered about that thing too. Never cared for it.

Tenacious_Dyl

Post by Tenacious_Dyl » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:45 pm

When I first started playing, my friends and I always thought / said it was some sort of anti-counterfeit part of the card... if you photocopy or otherwise reproduce the back of a MTG card, it is apparently VERY hard to get that spot exactly right. It serves as a point of reference for people checking if a card is real or fake.

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Perhaps it is the same as the "spider" on the USA One dollar bill (for international members... in the corner of our 1 dollar bill, near the number 1 (which is circled) there is a TINY Spider. However, this is not on purpose, because really it is an image of what happens when you cover up everything else around. The "spider" is actually part of a flowing background.

So... perhaps this mark is intentional and just how the art was made for the back, or perhaps it was a mistake, and it wasn't corrected, so they kept printing it. And finally... maybes its an anti-copy measure.

PS: Who painted / created the backs of the cards? Hrrm.....

Cizzio

Post by Cizzio » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:07 am

tenacious_dyl wrote:Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Perhaps it is the same as the "spider" on the USA One dollar bill (for international members... in the corner of our 1 dollar bill, near the number 1 (which is circled) there is a TINY Spider. However, this is not on purpose, because really it is an image of what happens when you cover up everything else around. The "spider" is actually part of a flowing background...
When you are telling about this I remember that on our 20 kronor bill here in sweden there is a Line, but if u use a magnifying glas on the Line u can see a line of text from the author "Selma Lagerlöf" (who is also herself printed on the bill..) thats there for its makes it more difficult to copy, and also we have watermarks inside the bill so if u turn it agains the sun u see her portrait "inside" he bill too..

but about this dot on magic cards, I realy just think it is a printing fault...

but an annoying one from now on.. hehe

gzeiger

Post by gzeiger » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:56 am

I always assumed it had been an error to begin with, but it couldn't be corrected later on if the principle of standard card backs was to be maintained. It is enough of a mark to make a card without it unacceptable for high-level play.

blackfire100

Post by blackfire100 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:26 am

Anyone notice the blueish/purple smudges where it says "Deckmaster" on the bottom of the cards? It goes across the "TER" That line has always annoyed me.

flatmatt

Post by flatmatt » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:47 am

Yeah, someone wrote into Ask Wizards about that some time ago I believe.  They say it was "just a stray pen mark" or something.  It's funny, I always thought that area was swirly like the old blue cardframe until it was pointed out that that was the only swirl in the area.

dry_cereal

Post by dry_cereal » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:56 am

I kind of like that line.  Nothing like my loathing for the dots.