MTGNews Is Dead

Temporary folder for YaBB threads

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

squt

Re: MTGNews Is Dead

Post by squt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:03 am

I'd always thought that Rancored Elf was part of the WOTC marketing team, strategicly leaking info about up-coming sets to build excitement.  I would think that if some other site kept compiling spoilers as well as MTGnews did, they would have just about the same amount of traffic....

I mean, how many of you read that fictional story set in Kamigawa?

Squt

Mr.C

Post by Mr.C » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:20 am

squt wrote:I mean, how many of you read that fictional story set in Kamigawa?

Squt
Uh, what story? Enlighten me...

Uh, what about our deal, squt? The cards are collecting dust and cobwebs here...

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:57 am

Is it possible for Magic Library to purchase MTGNews?  I am sure that to have a more mainstream wing of this site would bring more people into the odd magic things we all love here.

what do you all think?

normalbrains

Post by normalbrains » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:18 am

magicrumormill wrote:Is it possible for Magic Library to purchase MTGNews?  I am sure that to have a more mainstream wing of this site would bring more people into the odd magic things we all love here.

what do you all think?
collecting rarities is not supposed to be a mainstream thing. its a natural progresion that shouldnt be forced. this place is a fairly tightknit community of eclectic and knowledgable collectors. why would you want a bunch of teenagers here? it will just mean more posts like yours which is not what this place is about. also, mtgnews has been defunct since its original owner sold it for several (10?)  thousand dollars to someone who turned it into an advertisement for findmagiccards.com. its only remaining redeeming quality also happens to be your screen name, and id like to ask: why is that your handle?

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:28 am

eclectic?  I think normalbrains just called us all weird.  Thanks for the compliment! :)

No, we definately don't want hordes of morons descending on our site.

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:35 am

It seemed like a good handle and one that attracts attention, no?

I am also an avid collector of all things magic.  So please accept me as another person who is into the same things as you.

I sense some bad feelings.  Don't you love me?  :)

squt

Post by squt » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:50 am

Are they really dead, anyway?  They just posted some Betrayers spoilers.

Squt

mintcollector

Post by mintcollector » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:29 am

magicrumormill wrote:It seemed like a good handle and one that attracts attention, no?

I am also an avid collector of all things magic.  So please accept me as another person who is into the same things as you.

I sense some bad feelings.  Don't you love me?  :)
I can say I don't.

MagicRumorMill

Post by MagicRumorMill » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:17 am

That makes me want to cry.  I do love this site so much.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:02 am

also, mtgnews has been defunct since its original owner sold it for several (10?)  thousand dollars to someone who turned it into an advertisement for findmagiccards.com.
also, it would be a lot more expensive to host than this site is.  prior to selling it, DG said that the forums, alone, required a deicated server.  that's atleast several $1,000 / year.

in contrast, i think Ralph pays around $80 / year.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:38 am

terrafrost wrote: also, it would be a lot more expensive to host than this site is.  prior to selling it, DG said that the forums, alone, required a deicated server.  that's atleast several $1,000 / year.

in contrast, i think Ralph pays around $80 / year.
I would guess Ralpha pays more than that.  I pay 120 a year for mine (this includes the domain, and server space).  I am quite sure that Ralph uses a lot more space than I do (I have a gig (1GB) of space, and between the pictures of the cards, and the forums, its likely that Ralph is using more.)  I also am allowed 50GB of traffic per month, and I am positive Ralph uses more than that.

TerraFrost

Post by TerraFrost » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:13 am

for $65.00, i get 3gb storage space, and 50gb bandwidth per month.  i could up it to 60gb bw / month if i linked to my host on my webpage, but alas, i don't need that much bw, and i've been too lazy to do it, anyway, heh.

i don't know if a domain name is included in that plan, however (i already had one before i signed up).

anyway, whose your host?  mines surpasshosting.com.

sylvanstu

Post by sylvanstu » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:11 pm

mintcollector wrote:
I can say I don't.
i'd have to agree. No love lost here and i love everyone except you.